U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 07:18 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,976,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think I can speak for most Toronto fans and say I'm glad that's the case. ESPN's and the NBA's worship at the Cavs' shrine serves the purpose of all the teams looking to knock them off. It fuels the competitive fires.

There are distinct advantages to being overlooked by the tall NBA foreheads. And it's certainly true that Toronto's post-season record to date is far from stellar, so some of the condescension is well-earned.

But I've watched this team for 23 years and closely for the past 6-7, and they are very, very good - easily the best Raptor team ever.

And they're young, with more room for growth.

But by all means, do keep on dismissing their chances to come out of the East. It helps the cause.
Yeah, I've noticed this year's Raptors team is different and tough to play against. They are like an NCAA final four team jacked up to pressure and play as hard as possible.

DeRozan gets about 35 minutes a game, Lowry 32, Obaka 28... then 7 other guys get 15 minutes plus. They throw waves of energy at you and half of these guys are no-names playing without hubris or airs, just hard-nosed ball.

But do they have someone to limit Lebron? Powell maybe, not sure but I like Toronto's chances better than Boston to get past Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 AM

3,804 posts, read 1,389,055 times
We all know the NBA doesnt want a Houston/Toronto Finals.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:59 AM

5,450 posts, read 1,553,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yeah, I've noticed this year's Raptors team is different and tough to play against. They are like an NCAA final four team jacked up to pressure and play as hard as possible.

DeRozan gets about 35 minutes a game, Lowry 32, Obaka 28... then 7 other guys get 15 minutes plus. They throw waves of energy at you and half of these guys are no-names playing without hubris or airs, just hard-nosed ball.

But do they have someone to limit Lebron? Powell maybe, not sure but I like Toronto's chances better than Boston to get past Cleveland.
Boston just have to keep the game close (I know, that's not easy) and they'll win because of clutch Kyrie.
Whereas even if Toronto keep each game close, they may have nobody to hit the final dagger.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 AM

25,888 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So what will your response be if its the same old Raptors, flaming out in the postseason?
The usual, drink too much tequila, swear at the TV, and switch my focus to the Blue Jays.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:27 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
We all know the NBA doesnt want a Houston/Toronto Finals.
Funny you say that because the fans don't want that either. As much as fans complain about the same matchup in the Finals year after year, it's hard to come up with a better matchup than Golden State and Cleveland given the conference setup we're forced to work with.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,878,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Funny you say that because the fans don't want that either. As much as fans complain about the same matchup in the Finals year after year, it's hard to come up with a better matchup than Golden State and Cleveland given the conference setup we're forced to work with.
Golden State & Milwaukee?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,434,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree...as much as people loved seeing the Pistons beat the Kobe/Shaq Lakers that one year, they don't want to see teams with no stars every year. The Rockets do have a big of that superstar excitement factor though, with Harden and Paul, despite their flopping.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:45 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I agree...as much as people loved seeing the Pistons beat the Kobe/Shaq Lakers that one year, they don't want to see teams with no stars every year. The Rockets do have a big of that superstar excitement factor though, with Harden and Paul, despite their flopping.
I doubt there were too many people saying, "Aw man, not Ali and Frazier AGAIN."

People always want to see a Clash of the Titans. When Federer and Nadal were on a collision course to meet at the U.S. Open last summer, tickets in the nosebleed section were selling for $1,200. Once Federer lost in the early rounds, prices plunged to around $60. For some reason, Rafael Nadal vs Kevin Anderson just didn't excite people the way a matchup with Roger Federer did. Go figure.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:13 PM

25,888 posts, read 13,451,742 times
I guess for some Yanks, an eternal GS/Cavs final would be heaven.

For some of us, it's Boresville X Infinity.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:06 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,389,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I guess for some Yanks, an eternal GS/Cavs final would be heaven.

For some of us, it's Boresville X Infinity.

Well the series would have appeal because of the two things below would happen.

1. Lebron would lose again in the Finals

2. The Warriors Dynasty would be denied
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball