U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 PM

25,829 posts, read 13,421,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
For your sake, I hope you're right. Because at the end of the day, the treatment of the Raptors by basketball media is a result of the Raptors and the product they've put out. They get the type of coverage that a perennial playoff team that a)lacks a Top 15, possibly Top 20, player; b)has a history of blowing it big time in the playoffs, year after year; c)have a coach who has had some of his worst moments on the national stage....they get the type of coverage normal for that type of team...

Of course, it's looking like this team may be different, and for your sake, I sure hope so, so we can stop this insecurity and inferiority complex...
Actually, the truth of it is much simpler: It's more of a hassle for TV crews and media to cross the border and go through customs, so they'd rather not bother. They all love Toronto if they get to stay there for a few days. But otherwise, fahgedabboutit.

And the numbers the Raptors draw north of your border don't count in your Nielsen ratings. Therefore they do not exist in the US of A, as far as the tall media/NBA foreheads are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
There's a 7-foot alien scoring machine of a difference between the Thunder's Finals squad and Thunder of today. The Thunder were a 6th seed unceremoniously bounced in the 1st round last year in a gentleman's sweep. The Raptors were a 3rd seed who at least got to the 2nd round before getting squashed by LBJ. The Raps are sitting on the 1 seed in the East now, the Thunder are 5th in the West, and just a game and a half from being out of the playoffs (seriously, 1.5 games separates 5 from 9 in the West, and 10 is only one game further back!).
The Thunder aren't so much getting the exposure they get because of who they are today, or last year. Clearly, that doesn't fit, or otherwise why the hell have the Lakers been headline news the last five years? Obviously it's because of their pedigree...

And OKC has nowhere near the pedigree of the Lakers, but have a higher pedigree than Toronto that has been earned through sweat equity over the years. Toronto has to continue to sustain itself as a conference power, but what's more, they have to start winning in the playoffs when it matters--ECF, and The Finals. Yes, today, and now two years straight, the Thunder are a better team than OKC. About time; franchise to franchise, OKC is the more accomplished organization. It's not really arguable...

When Toronto wins it's conference, or can sustain a Top 2 seed for multiple seasons, then it will garner a higher level of respect. Until then, it's the same old Raptors until they prove us wrong...

Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,050,301 times
The Raptors don’t exist at this point and in NBA years their window is almost closed. Derozan is almost 29 and Lowry is 32. The NBA landscape can quickly change within a season or two so it may be now or never for the Raptors.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,875,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The Thunder aren't so much getting the exposure they get because of who they are today, or last year. Clearly, that doesn't fit, or otherwise why the hell have the Lakers been headline news the last five years? Obviously it's because of their pedigree...

And OKC has nowhere near the pedigree of the Lakers, but have a higher pedigree than Toronto that has been earned through sweat equity over the years. Toronto has to continue to sustain itself as a conference power, but what's more, they have to start winning in the playoffs when it matters--ECF, and The Finals. Yes, today, and now two years straight, the Thunder are a better team than OKC. About time; franchise to franchise, OKC is the more accomplished organization. It's not really arguable...

When Toronto wins it's conference, or can sustain a Top 2 seed for multiple seasons, then it will garner a higher level of respect. Until then, it's the same old Raptors until they prove us wrong...
The Lakers get coverage because they're the Lakers--a major market and an iconic franchise. Now they're also getting coverage because of Lonzo Ball. The Thunder are not a major market and they are not an iconic franchise.

You don't see Thunder-type coverage for Miami, Indiana, Portland, or even San Antonio (all teams in the midst of a playoff run with far greater "pedigree" than OKC). The media can't get enough Russell Westbrook. The Thunder were pretty garbage last year and were covered with greater focus than the Spurs or the Rockets. They're not much better this year, and still getting that kind of press.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:06 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Lakers get coverage because they're the Lakers--a major market and an iconic franchise. Now they're also getting coverage because of Lonzo Ball. The Thunder are not a major market and they are not an iconic franchise.

You don't see Thunder-type coverage for Miami, Indiana, Portland, or even San Antonio (all teams in the midst of a playoff run with far greater "pedigree" than OKC). The media can't get enough Russell Westbrook. The Thunder were pretty garbage last year and were covered with greater focus than the Spurs or the Rockets. They're not much better this year, and still getting that kind of press.
The Thunder definitely weren't covered with a greater focus than Houston or SA last year. We had to hear all year about the MVP battle between Westbrook and Harden, and how Kawhi was probably a better player than both of them and possibly the best player in basketball. All year long...

Lol@Indiana, what pedigree do they have? Haha they've been to exactly one Finals in their existence, the same as OKC. And Portland and Miami have greater pedigrees but the difference is neither of them have a Top 10 player, possibly not even Top 15, which goes back to my original point--->OKC gets coverage because they've cultivated a culture of winning AND they've homegrown two HOF, Top 10 talents. Is Lillard even a HOF type player, maybe borderline, but is he Top 15? Again maybe just barely, and for Indiana, which did draft Paul George, they received substantially greater coverage a few years ago. It only waned when they dropped from three consecutive years as a Top 3 seed, to three consecutive years as a DNQ, 7, 7. If OKC continues to slide and have consecutive years as a bottom tier playoff team, their media focus will dwindle too. But just two years ago they were a 3-seed and conference finalist, and this year their pace is for a higher seeding in the conference than last year...

Old 02-15-2018, 11:13 AM

5,433 posts, read 1,546,102 times
I was watching Chris Bosh on ESPN First Take, and when you see Bosh in the studio its striking how unique his facial features are.
He really was the perfect guy to lead the Raptors.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,223 times
I am going to give the Raptors a chance this season because a better squad and maybe they have learned from the past few years of playoff failures. Maybe they have developed some of the mettle you need to survive the grind of the playoffs. I am not saying necessarily that they are going to come out of the East, but I do think this squad is better than other recent incarnations.

As for Cleveland, they probably will come back down to earth some. But at least this team is now playing with energy and that is a 1000x better than what they were doing before the trade. We are probably going to see that this team is better and they are really the threat in the East again. Will they beat GS? I dont think so. But they are a better team now.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I am going to give the Raptors a chance this season because a better squad and maybe they have learned from the past few years of playoff failures. Maybe they have developed some of the mettle you need to survive the grind of the playoffs. I am not saying necessarily that they are going to come out of the East, but I do think this squad is better than other recent incarnations.

As for Cleveland, they probably will come back down to earth some. But at least this team is now playing with energy and that is a 1000x better than what they were doing before the trade. We are probably going to see that this team is better and they are really the threat in the East again. Will they beat GS? I dont think so. But they are a better team now.
Raptors could do to the Cavs what the Mavs did to the Lakers 2011....catch a team on its way down.
Having said that, the Cavs have enough talent to win the East obviously, just a matter of how badly they'll miss Kyrie's clutchness.
If the Raptors have home-court advantage and get it to game 7....

Old 02-17-2018, 08:11 PM

3,961 posts, read 2,513,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Raptors could do to the Cavs what the Mavs did to the Lakers 2011....catch a team on its way down.
Having said that, the Cavs have enough talent to win the East obviously, just a matter of how badly they'll miss Kyrie's clutchness.
If the Raptors have home-court advantage and get it to game 7....
I think they are going to miss Kyrie's clutchness and ability to create his own shot. LeBron can, but who else do you really trust to go get that basket that you just have to have in an important juncture in a game? Kyrie could. I like what Cleveland did, but that is the only thing I think they really needed to get back as well. To be fair, Kyrie is one of the best self shot creators in the game, period, so it would be hard to get that back. Maybe Jordan Clarkson can create his own shot when needed?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I think they are going to miss Kyrie's clutchness and ability to create his own shot. LeBron can, but who else do you really trust to go get that basket that you just have to have in an important juncture in a game? Kyrie could. I like what Cleveland did, but that is the only thing I think they really needed to get back as well. To be fair, Kyrie is one of the best self shot creators in the game, period, so it would be hard to get that back. Maybe Jordan Clarkson can create his own shot when needed?
Good point, this is very unknown territory for LeBron, because Kyrie is the best in the NBA at taking his defender off the dribble, so a huge loss for LeBron, and in Miami there was Wade to play that role.
So LeBron has always had a premier isolation scorer to rely on, except for his first stint in Cleveland (Mo Williams scored mostly on the perimeter).
So if we assume LeBron takes on that role more (of saving his team at the end of the shot clock or game clock) it'll be interesting to see if he settles for step-back jumpers or if he takes it to the hoop.
He is older now, so having to play the extra role could not come at a worse time.
Or he goes to Clarkson, as you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball