U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,513,271 times

Advertisements

"Warriors star Kevin Durant will be sidelined at least two weeks after an MRI on Friday revealed that the forward has an incomplete rib-cartilage fracture, the team announced."

I'm no expert, but a rib fracture sound pretty serious. Don't think he'll be rushing back at the end of March. They're going to need some of their guys back for round 2 vs. Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:30 AM

5,448 posts, read 1,552,961 times
Max Kellerman is really bad at his job on First Take.
He relies on stats for all his arguments and is addicted to numbers (whereas Stephen A. Smith uses the eye test for his arguments), yet he keeps saying incorrect stats, and says them over and over again.
I've heard him say on multiple occasions that Bosh averaged 13ppg in his first season in Miami....when in fact he averaged 18.7ppg (and his lowest ever average in Miami was 16.2ppg).
He's said this on at least 3 different occasions in the last 6 months when speaking about LeBron-Wade-Bosh chemistry in Miami.
Kellerman also repeatedly makes the mistake of saying Draymond Green is a great 3-point-shooter for his position.....you can debate that I guess but this season he's shooting .303, and last season he shot .308.....so you should speak in past tense because the last time he was 'great for his position' from downtown was 2015-16.
There are several PFs shooting far better than Green.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:39 AM

ok

Old 03-18-2018, 03:08 PM

498 posts, read 142,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
"Warriors star Kevin Durant will be sidelined at least two weeks after an MRI on Friday revealed that the forward has an incomplete rib-cartilage fracture, the team announced."

I'm no expert, but a rib fracture sound pretty serious. Don't think he'll be rushing back at the end of March. They're going to need some of their guys back for round 2 vs. Portland.
Since it's not a complete fracture, it's not as serious as it could've been otherwise. A complete fracture would've had a chance at knocking him out for the rest of the season. Then Golden State would be in trouble if KD were out for the season.

I won't forget last year, when Kevin Durant suffered that knee injury at the end of February. Based on how bad it looked, it appeared his season was over. However, it was later announced that instead of a torn ACL, it was a sprained MCL. He returned with a few games left in the regular season, and got his rhythm back in time for the playoffs.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Max Kellerman is really bad at his job on First Take.
He relies on stats for all his arguments and is addicted to numbers (whereas Stephen A. Smith uses the eye test for his arguments), yet he keeps saying incorrect stats, and says them over and over again.
I've heard him say on multiple occasions that Bosh averaged 13ppg in his first season in Miami....when in fact he averaged 18.7ppg (and his lowest ever average in Miami was 16.2ppg).
He's said this on at least 3 different occasions in the last 6 months when speaking about LeBron-Wade-Bosh chemistry in Miami.
Kellerman also repeatedly makes the mistake of saying Draymond Green is a great 3-point-shooter for his position.....you can debate that I guess but this season he's shooting .303, and last season he shot .308.....so you should speak in past tense because the last time he was 'great for his position' from downtown was 2015-16.
There are several PFs shooting far better than Green.
As a Warriors fan, I will admit that Draymond Green is not even close to the best three-point shooter for his position. There are several power forwards that have shot at least 38% from three for their entire careers, rather than just one season, such as Ryan Anderson of the Houston Rockets.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
One thing is for sure if we are currently seeing the end of Golden State, 2 rings makes them not even as great as Shaq-Kobe's Lakers (not that there's anything wrong with being inferior to them, just saying).
Houston may prove to be closer to a dynasty than Golden State, because who can stop Harden-Paul? They also have the big man that Golden State lacks.

Speaking of Houston, Olajuwon's Rockets won the championship without having the home-court advantage in any round of the playoffs, and that is more impressive than anything Golden State ever did.
I also think that Houston team would have done very well in today's NBA, very good 3-point-shooters, and even Olajuwon is suited to today's game because (even though he didn't attempt many treys) he had decent range for a center and obviously he'd destroy everyone in the paint anyway - not even Shaq could guard him - and had the mobility to render Draymond Green useless.
We aren't seeing the end of Golden State. Not even close. As long as they can stay healthy enough, the end of the Warriors won't be until seven years from now. Sure, they have a lot of injuries right now, but none of them are season-ending. Those players out with injuries right now will be back before the playoffs arrive. That being said, just because I'm saying Golden State will be dominant for the next six years, doesn't mean they'll win an NBA title every year. In fact, only one team in NBA history has manged to win four titles in a row, and that was the dominant Boston Celtics teams of the 50's and 60's. Someone will have to dethrone Golden State eventually. As long as Golden State is at full strength come playoff time, it won't be this year.

The Warriors can slow down Harden and CP3 when at full strength and locked in. Nonetheless, regardless of how well you play against that back-court, you just can't take everything away from them. Defeating the Warriors in a playoff series however, will prove to be a very daunting task, especially with the Warriors fully healthy. As long as Golden State has everyone on their roster healthy and playing at a high level, I don't see anyone preventing them from repeating. It matters more that they are healthy than being the first seed in the West.

You can't say the Rockets are close to a dynasty until they manage to win an NBA title. The last time they won it all was back in 1995. It was impressive that year because they were the sixth seed in the West, and became the lowest playoff seed in NBA history to win the title.

We will just have to wait and see what happens come April.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It's so hard to be a sports dynasty nowadays. In the NFL we call the Patriots a dynasty for playing in 8 of the last 17 Super Bowls. They didn't win them all (lost 3), and they haven't won back-to-back since '03-04. Hell, during this 17-year "dynastic" run, they haven't won back-to-back since '03-04, and incurred a 7-year Super Bowl drought in the middle of the 17-year dynasty, which begs the question, has it really been two dynasties, and can you be considered a one, consistent dynasty if you go seven years without making the championship?

So as it compares to modern sports dynasties of the 21st century, the Patriots are the barometer and the Warriors aren't in that stratosphere, and it's unconscionable to think they have that level of sustained success...

The Spurs are the barometer of 21st-century NBA dynasty talk. They went to 6 Finals in 16 seasons from 1999-2014 and only lost once, and their run makes them far and away the closest NBA comparable to the Patriots. The Warriors aren't on that level yet. The Spurs even had a 6-year championship drought from '07-13 in which they didn't even make the championship, just like the Patriots '07-14 championship drought...

The key to the Dubs reaching that level of consistency is innovative leadership. Both the Patriots and Spurs won for so long yes, led by a transcendent talent, but also with a system that adapted to the modernizing pro game and ancillary pieces who knew their roles and played them to the tee. I do think the Dubs have a great head coach and front office. It remains to be seen: 1)what they could do if they had to play a full season without Curry (a la the Patriots without Brady in 2008); 2)if they could win without a Top 10 player in his prime (a la the 2013 and 2014 Spurs); 3)if they could win without three or four Top 20 players on the roster (outside of the 3.5 year window that the Pats also had Randy Moss, there's never been a Top 10 player on the Patriots besides Brady)...

In this Super team era, the Raptors are putting pressure on the notion that you need multiple Top 10-15 players. I am extremely impressed with DeRozan's improvement, but even if he's a Top 10 player now, he's borderline, and there isn't another Top 20 player on the roster. The Rockets have two Top 10 players and a bunch of guys and they're also putting pressure on this Superteam idea...

The "Warriors dynasty" talk is premature. They have a shot at doing some really special things. At the very least, this would be the greatest regular-season 4-year run ever, but that doesn't make them a dynasty. Let's see how Year 4 finishes. At the end of the day, the goal is to win championships. The last "almost" NBA dynasty was the 2011-2014 Heat, four straight Finals, 2-2 record. The 2008-2010 Lakers went to three straight, won back-to-back and went 2-1. Right now, the Warriors are on that level, 2-1 after three straight Finals. They don't have to win back-to-back to be considered a dynasty, but if they a)don't make the Finals this year, or b)lose in The Finals and drop to 2-2; how would either of those qualify as a dynasty? The Lakers didn't make The Finals in '11 and the Heat couldn't win 3...

As fans, we have short memories, because this Dubs team, from a popularity point, is a reincarnation of the Heatles. The difference is the Heat were more hated at the beginning of their run, but the presence of peak Lebron James made them must-see TV and increased the league's visibility and popularity. I won't say the Dubs are at the end of their run, too soon to say, but they definitely were more popular in Year 1 and 2, compared to last year and this year. Still immensely popular, but not universally admired...

From that last point alone, the comparisons to the '90s Bulls lose merit...
San Antonio may have won 50 or more games for many seasons in a row, but it's not a dynasty. In order to be considered a dynasty, you have to win a championship in at least half the number of years the dynasty lasts. The Spurs have not even come close to winning half the number of championships over 20 years. Over the last 20 years, they've won five titles. Like I said, that's not even close to half.

The last dynasty was the early 2000's Los Angeles Lakers, when they achieved something that only three teams have accomplished: winning at least three NBA titles in a row. The only other two teams to accomplish the feat are the Boston Celtics and the Chicago Bulls.

I'd definitely have to say that the Celtics dynasty of the 50's and 60's was the most impressive. 11 titles in 13 years, including eight straight at one point. There was also the Lakers winning five titles in the 80's and the Bulls winning six titles in eight years during the 90's.

Golden State has won two titles in three years, and have become the first team in NBA history to win 67 games or more in three consecutive seasons. However, while the Warriors have dynastic potential, I don't think they can be declared in a dynasty just yet. As a Warriors fan, I think it would only make sense to declare them in a dynasty if they succeed in repeating this year. Another thing to note is their road to the championship last year was easy. It got a whole lot tougher this year with the Rockets and Raptors having stellar seasons themselves.

I won't forget how hated the Warriors were when they succeeded in signing Kevin Durant in July 2016. While I was okay with KD's decision, I was nevertheless a little bit concerned that it would just be unfair to see the Warriors loaded with an absurd amount of talent. Due to this, I have come to accept that both my favorite NBA teams, the Warriors and Thunder, have haters. After all, there is no team in sports that can be loved by everyone.

I honestly don't think any team in the history of sports has been unanimously admired. Like I said, every team has haters, and there is nothing that can be done about that. All you can do is respect the opinions of others.

For example, I'm not stating that you are wrong about San Antonio being a dynasty. I'm just stating what I consider to be a dynasty in sports.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Since it's not a complete fracture, it's not as serious as it could've been otherwise. A complete fracture would've had a chance at knocking him out for the rest of the season. Then Golden State would be in trouble if KD were out for the season.

I won't forget last year, when Kevin Durant suffered that knee injury at the end of February. Based on how bad it looked, it appeared his season was over. However, it was later announced that instead of a torn ACL, it was a sprained MCL. He returned with a few games left in the regular season, and got his rhythm back in time for the playoffs.
I'm no doctor, but that's not something you want to rush back from if you don't need to. Second round of the playoffs, sure. First round? Maybe. End of the regular season? No way.

I'm reminded of Bernard Pollard the year the Ravens won the super bowl. He broke some ribs at some point at the end of the year, then recovered, and rebroke them again on a hit on the first play of the super bowl. I don't know how severe the initial injury was, but this is serious stuff.

Quote:
In order to be considered a dynasty, you have to win a championship in at least half the number of years the dynasty lasts.
source?

Old 03-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I'm no doctor, but that's not something you want to rush back from if you don't need to. Second round of the playoffs, sure. First round? Maybe. End of the regular season? No way.

I'm reminded of Bernard Pollard the year the Ravens won the super bowl. He broke some ribs at some point at the end of the year, then recovered, and rebroke them again on a hit on the first play of the super bowl. I don't know how severe the initial injury was, but this is serious stuff.

source?
It is definitely not something to rush back from for sure. Durant is said to be back in time for the last few games of the regular season. End of the month? Highly unlikely. It may not seem like the most serious injury out there, but any and every injury should be taken with caution at this point in the season. The playoffs are just too close now to rush anyone back and risk them getting knocked out for the rest of the season when it matters most.

Not to be rude or anything, but I do not feel the need to explain myself on this. San Antonio winning five titles over 20 years is nothing compared to the dynasties of the past. Thus, I think the last true dynasty was the Lakers in the early 2000's. In addition, I will also state that I hate San Antonio. I've had a strong grudge towards them since the beginning. Now it's gotten to the point that I consider them an NBA disease.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:36 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,431,779 times
I've had fractured ribs, as have many people in everyday life. They're annoying, and can hurt with movement and breathing, but aren't dangerous (unless as you said, complete fracture which can risk a pneumothorax/punctured lung). Likely the rest will help him heal enough so it isn't painful when he plays and doesn't affect his game too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball