U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 02:04 PM

482 posts, read 254,542 times

Advertisements

Random thoughts on the NBA season, part 2:

- As close as Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph are, who knew that Randolph would have to leave Memphis for Gasol to finally agree to dominate some games every now and then?

- Danny Ainge swapping out that #1 pick for Tatum suddenly doesn't look so bad, huh?

- First name that pops into my head when I think Most Improved Player and Surprise MVP Contender: Porzingis.

- First name that pops into my head when I think Most Underrated Player in the NBA: John Wall.

- Historical NBA player Lonzo Ball reminds me of most right now? Jason Kidd. Awesome all around player and floor leader at the point. Terrible shot (at least early in his career). Corny but true Lonzo Ball joke: He should be an actor in a Western, because he shoots from the hip. Seriously though, that fugly shot of his is the only thing (other than time and experience) keeping him from potential greatness.

- I was already a bigger fan of the Celtics than the Cavs, but the fact that LeBron called Kyrie a "kid" about 5 times in less than two minutes in that interview during training camp makes me really glad to see the role reversal between these two teams. So far the Celtics are the class of the East, though I realize championships are not won during the regular season.

- I'm watching the standings, and there are plenty of interesting things there, but with such a long season none of it is worth overreacting to until about 30 games in.

- It looks like Kyrie and Al Horford play well together. Also Stevens seems to be a very good coach. Man, this Boston franchise is executing like they have some kind of history to live up to.

- Minnesota has a lot of talent, but they've had a lot of talent at many different points in the past also (K-Love, KG, Marbury, Sprewell, etc.) If they can't turn into a strong team this year I might start to suspect they're cursed -- the team that'll never get over the hump no matter how much talent they have. They don't look too bad so far, though.

- The Clippers appear to be better without Chis Paul. The odd thing is they also seemed to be better without Blake Griffin when he was out. Apparently those two guys just weren't meant to be on the same team.

- The Clippers won't win a title anytime soon, but they will win the battle to be the best team in LA (in terms of regular season record) for the sixth consecutive year.

- The Magic are one of the top teams in the East? Quick, without looking, name two players on their roster ... I couldn't do it either ... Gotta respect them though. We'll see how long their run lasts.

- The Warriors are so dominant, it'll be considered a bad year for them to "only" win 60 games on the way to their (likely) third title in four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 15 days ago)

12,226 posts, read 10,488,618 times
Highly edited for propaganda purposes, this brutal video showing the effect of Carmelo Anthony on both the Thunder (bad) and Knicks (good) in one night is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbImRa-nL0

Old 11-04-2017, 06:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,526,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And no matter how poorly the Cavs are playing they will pound the Wizards! Lolololol....

I'm a Wizards fan, but I'm about ready to give up on their potential. They may have already hit their ceiling. As much of a Wall fan as I am, he really struggles in critical contests, or "statement" games. He's not very strong down the stretch, either...

They had a messy Cavs team that's gotten pummeled by everybody, playing the worst defense in basketball, and completely blew a chance to strengthen their bid as a top tier team in The East. These guys think very highly of themselves (particularly Wall and Beal but really the whole team), for a squad that has never even made a conference finals. For two years they've been sending darts at Lebron and Cleveland, and though they play them competitively most games, the results are almost always losses. I don't get it with this team...

They are crippled by average coaching and a roster that just isn't good enough. They can't even secure a Top 3 seed even though on paper, they should be that in their conference. Too much talk, not enough walk...

Both Cleveland and Golden State are gonna face unprecedented challengers from within their conferences this year. I think this will be the toughest road back for both of them to The Finals, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them both upset in the postseason, but as of now, it's way too early to say either aren't favorites. We'll see how they're playing a month from now...
So true...what was the Wiz doing?!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:47 AM

5,515 posts, read 1,581,944 times
Ball reminds me of Kidd statistically, but Kidd was extremely entertaining, while Ball is a snooze-fest and doesn't possess the passing wizardry that Kidd had.
In fact not only does Ball lack the passing wizardry he doesn't even look comfortable with the ball at times, a little awkward and clumsy.
Also, Kidd was a really good defender, while Ball is clearly not.
So the only thing they have in common is stats.
Rondo and Kidd are both more talented than Ball, at both ends of the court (even though Rondo was worse at treys).

Old 11-05-2017, 05:51 AM

5,515 posts, read 1,581,944 times
Not a good sign for the Clippers, only 3-3 at home.
They'll disappear from the playoff picture if that continues.
But too early to tell.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 PM

28,769 posts, read 15,596,313 times
Harden has 54 pts and 13 assists in 3 quarters against the Jazz. Rockets have 115.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:22 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,231,520 times
Congrats to Pop, tonight’s win moved him past Phil Jackson for 6th all time wins. 20 more will move him to 5th.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 PM

52,281 posts, read 42,056,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Highly edited for propaganda purposes, this brutal video showing the effect of Carmelo Anthony on both the Thunder (bad) and Knicks (good) in one night is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRbImRa-nL0
Been telling people here for 6-7 years that Melo has been a high volume SHOT TAKER and crap defender since he left Denver.

But hey, don't worry because NY is a big market just like Blockbuster is where EVERYONE goes to watch movies on VHS.

P.S. Pay attention "Buh buh buh we're the Lakers" fans.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 PM

52,281 posts, read 42,056,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Ball reminds me of Kidd statistically, but Kidd was extremely entertaining, while Ball is a snooze-fest and doesn't possess the passing wizardry that Kidd had.
In fact not only does Ball lack the passing wizardry he doesn't even look comfortable with the ball at times, a little awkward and clumsy.
Also, Kidd was a really good defender, while Ball is clearly not.
So the only thing they have in common is stats.
Rondo and Kidd are both more talented than Ball, at both ends of the court (even though Rondo was worse at treys).
He's less than 10 games into his rookie year. I'll give him 3 years before I judge him.

I do understand the backlash though, we've heard some REALLY silly sh*T about what he'd do his rook year from the usual Laker posters that have nothing better to do because they don't have a drivers license yet.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 AM

28,769 posts, read 15,596,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Been telling people here for 6-7 years that Melo has been a high volume SHOT TAKER and crap defender since he left Denver.

But hey, don't worry because NY is a big market just like Blockbuster is where EVERYONE goes to watch movies on VHS.

P.S. Pay attention "Buh buh buh we're the Lakers" fans.
Good that the Rockets did not pick him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball