U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 01:18 PM

498 posts, read 142,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I called this before the season.

Foul trouble and the fall for Steven Adams really hurt the Thunder last night. He looks like their most important player. It's sad to see Melo at this stage of his career. He never developed the savvy to work as his athleticism wanes. This Thunder team lacks identity. I'll be surprised to see them in round 2.

The Warriors' spare parts were effective--it's helpful when you have Durant, Green, and Klay to anchor them. Other than the 3 stars, there were just 2 team turnovers--a sign that these guys are getting locked in. KD's shooting results ended poor, but I think he played a great game offensively. He assumed the scoring mantle, and got to the line when the team was struggling. Draymond had a very Draymond floor game, making appearances all over the court. He looks like the rest has helped his body. Klay played a confident game on both ends. His shots will fall. I was happy to see Bell get involved. He looked like the pre-ankle injury rookie again tonight. He is going to learn some painful lessons about not biting on fakes in the playoffs, but he'll get minutes. The Warriors have been capable of grinding out wins in the last few years, and this was the kind of game that called for grinding effort--defending as a team, fighting for rebounds, staying physical. It helps that the Warriors' average height last night was probably 6'9".
Yes. Foul trouble prevents players from being on the court to make an impact for their team. Nonetheless, it was an entertaining game. Since I really didn't care who won, that's all I asked for. Neither team led by more than ten points.

Steven Adams is indeed a key player for the Thunder due to his size and rebounding skills. He is the best offensive rebounder in the NBA, after all. I agree that it is not guaranteed OKC gets to round two. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Kevin Durant wasn't all that great from the field, but he did get to the free throw line 14 times, making all of his attempts. KD also made a key shot when the Warriors were only up by one point. Another key thing that happened late was Damian Jones and Quinn Cook making plays late, such as a floater and an alley-oop. Draymond and Bell are great defenders, and with Bell developing a reliable mid-range jump shot, it can help out with spacing. Klay is also getting into a rhythm, which will be key for the Warriors to win the first round without Steph. They'll be just fine as long as everyone else is healthy and playing at a high level until Curry does return. Jordan Bell is a rookie, so he's got a lot to learn before he knows how the NBA game is played. I am confident that until Steph returns, the Warriors can keep playing at a high level, so long as they stay locked in and trust each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
11 in a row for Philly, absolutely annihilated the Nets.
But the 2nd leg of their back-to-back is @ Detroit, and those guys are on a 5 game winning-streak of their own.
Make that 12 in a row. Now Detroit is out of playoff contention. Can they make it 13 against the Cavs?

Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'm not saying much... I just want it to keep going.

Now at 12...

#trusttheprocess
Should the Sixers defeat the Cavs in their next game, they could very well get the third seed in the East. That would say something about them.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'm not saying much... I just want it to keep going.

Now at 12...

#trusttheprocess
As much as I like the Warriors and Thunder, I'm happy to see the Sixers getting better and having much better luck this year. They've had enough bad luck with injuries and all that. Would like to see Philly take the crown someday. Haven't won it all since 1983.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Will have to watch Cavs vs Sixers Friday as that could decide the 3 seed. The Sixers have went from “joke” to “maybe a good team in the future” to “arrived” about as quickly as any team I’ve seen. Could they win 60 games if everyone stays mostly healthy an entire season?
Yeah it should be a great game. Both teams will likely see it as an important game, as it will determine who gets the third seed and who gets the fourth. Philly has something to prove this year. I'm very happy that their bad luck has finally ended. It pained me to see them get hit by bad luck so much. Winning 60 games is something they're very much capable of doing next season, but like you said, health will be a big factor in determining whether they do so or not.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Warriors are down to only 3 All-Stars and 1 MVP. I'm not sure if they make it out of the 2nd Round.
They will easily get to the second round as long as everyone stays healthy. As long as everyone besides Curry can stay healthy and play at a high level, Golden State will be just fine. The Warriors will need Steph for every round after the first though. They'll need to be at full strength to beat the Rockets. If not, it's simple: Rockets win.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Raps defense returned. Good win against a tough team. All seven bench players played double-digit minutes with energy and focus, and just pretty much wore down a game, but depleted Celtics team. Boston was held to a season-low 78 points. All year, Toronto's offense has been fueled by getting stops and quick transitions. Tonight was a welcome return to that level of play.

Indiana is next and the Raps will need to sustain that focus and attention to detail.
Boston was without several key players, but indeed the Raptors played a good game last night. They're deeper than they were last year, but the question is can they get enough shooting to keep up with the Cavs? Toronto has a good shot at dethroning the Cavs, but it won't be an easy task. LeBron James in the playoffs is so much different than LeBron James in the regular season.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin456 View Post
Kyrie Irving of Boston Celtics out for season and playoffs

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...b-ex8F&ampcf=1
Looks like Boston is doomed then. Really hope Irving has a quick recovery. There have been way too many injuries this year. Hopefully next year the injuries will be kept to a minimal.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Technically 7! Two of those teams would miss the playoffs & all would be 46-36.

You say it in jest, but the Jazz and Spurs and maybe Pels become a totally new challenge for the Warriors without Curry. The Blazers do, too, in the 2nd round.

A quad injury that the Spurs won't discuss that makes Kawhi miss all of training camp & the preseason? A strained/pulled/bruised quad is going to be disclosed & day-to-day. A torn quad is likely to be disclosed, would potentially require surgery, and would clearly mean extended time away. There was clearly a problem when the Spurs said he'll miss camp & preseason.

They've set the bar quite high for the last 2 decades.

They are good. The jump from 50 wins to 60 wins is quite large, though.
Golden State will be fine in the first round as long as everyone but Curry is healthy. Warriors in no more than five games. Curry will be back by the second round, barring any setbacks. Portland won't be a big challenge for a Warriors team at full strength. I'd say the biggest threat to Golden State this year in the West is by far the Rockets. The Warriors will NEED to be at full strength of they want to beat Houston. Otherwise, the Rockets win the championship. Simple as that.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Groan, another post season ruined by injuries to big stars.

Cavaliers in finals this year. Again.

Yours truly calls it.
There have been so many injuries this year, I've gone as far as to say this NBA season is cursed. Hopefully next year the injuries will be much less frequent. Unfortunately, injuries are something that we can't control and can happen at anytime without warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball