U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:24 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
12-13 LeBron 26.8ppg 8.0rpg 7.3apg 1.7spg 0.9bpg
17-18 Simmons 17.8ppg 9.2rpg 7.5apg 1.7spg 0.8bpg

As I said, other than PPG, FT% and trey%, Simmons stats are the same as peak LeBron.
Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Don't forget Wins & FG%.

Quote:
And Simmons is playing all-NBA defense.
As for actually being as good as peak LeBron already, nah I never said that.
He's not playing all-NBA defense. And you did say this: "Other than PPG, FT% and trey%, his stats are the same as peak LeBron."

Nope.

Quote:
Plus I hope Simmons never settles for jump shots in his career, because that is where LeBron has wasted his physicality.
Even when LeBron was young, he took too many jump shots for such a good athlete.
You have to have a jump shot in order to settle for one. LBJ added a new dimension to his game by developing his jumper. Simmons will need to do the same in order to reach that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 01:49 PM

5,446 posts, read 1,550,803 times
The best part about Simmons so far, is his intangibles and his effort.
He gives 100% on defense, every possession.
That's something LeBron never did.

I said "Other than PPG, FT% and trey%, his stats are the same as peak LeBron."
Or do you think having great stats is the same as being great?
That is not the case, and never has been.
Stats tell only half the story in basketball.
I assumed you knew this.

When Simmons develops his jump shot, I hope he doesn't ever settle for it as needlessly as LeBron has.
Heck, even in LeBron's rookie season he was settling for jump shots, and that's why he only shot .417 in his rookie year.
Simmons is clearly not interested in perimeter shooting, hence he's .497 from the field so far.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
The best part about Simmons so far, is his intangibles and his effort.
He gives 100% on defense, every possession.
That's something LeBron never did.

I said "Other than PPG, FT% and trey%, his stats are the same as peak LeBron."
Or do you think having great stats is the same as being great?
That is not the case, and never has been.
Stats tell only half the story in basketball.
I assumed you knew this.

When Simmons develops his jump shot, I hope he doesn't ever settle for it as needlessly as LeBron has.
Heck, even in LeBron's rookie season he was settling for jump shots, and that's why he only shot .417 in his rookie year.
Simmons is clearly not interested in perimeter shooting, hence he's .497 from the field so far.
LBJ at the end of Cleveland Round 1 & the Heatles years was an elite defender. Simmons has the length and athleticism to get there, but he's not there yet.

"Stats are the same as peak Lebron" is comparing Simmons to peak Lebron. I'm glad you realize he's not there.

LBJ has built an impressive body of work. He had to develop a reliable jumper to become unguardable. For Simmons to reach the next level, he will need to develop a reliable jumper, too. NBA defenses are too good for a team to be led by a player who is not a threat to shoot. The 76ers are trying to build around Simmons, Fultz, and Embiid. They need two of those players to figure out how to shoot--they need spacing for these players to share the floor.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 PM

LeBron was an elite defender, but he did not give 100% effort on defense every possession.
LeBron has always been known for taking possessions off.
Simmons does not take possessions off.

No, comparing Simmon's stats to peak LeBron stats, is not comparing their play, its merely comparing stats.
Plus, Simmons plays a completely different brand of basketball to LeBron, so you'll never be able to compare them.
Players like Simmons and Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo can dominate and control the outcome of a game without even attempting a shot from the perimeter.

By the way, LeBron developed a jump shot early, but missed the playoffs in his first 2 seasons in the NBA.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:14 PM

(although I should note, Giannis Antetokounmpo is less likely to control the outcome of a game because his basketball IQ is not at the level of Simmons)

Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,055,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Not if the voters are in possession of their right minds.
LOL - dude was just 1 rebound shy of another triple double. Averages of 18/9/8 as a rookie...while leading the league’s biggest turnaround. Kid is basically putting up the same numbers as rookie Magic. If the Sixers win say 45 games (+17 wins), I think he will get a few votes.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,055,962 times
Let’s also not forget that Simmons is only 14 games into the season...he could and likely will get even better during THIS season. Either way, pretty impressive that his rookie season is so far better than rookie seasons from guys like Lebron, Durant and Curry. If he adds the 3 ball over the next few years he could be the new King. Bird and Magic put up similar stats as rookies but they were 22-23 years old.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:19 AM

311 posts, read 218,852 times
He's scoring very proficiently for a rookie and efficiently as well-- he knows his limits. If he gets even a decent shot in the next year or two I can definitely see him averaging at least 25 a game potentially, especially as he continues to refine his game. Additionally he's top 15-20 in rebounds in the entire league and tops among guards. Top 5 in the entire league in assists and steals. Not yet MVP caliber obviously but his ceiling seems as high as anyone's. A semi-decent shot (doesn't need to be world-class either) is all that's stopping him from being a 25-8-8 guy right now and that's without even accounting for the natural improvement he should acquire as he polishes up his game. The craziest part might be that he might never even be the best player on his own team.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
He's scoring very proficiently for a rookie and efficiently as well-- he knows his limits. If he gets even a decent shot in the next year or two I can definitely see him averaging at least 25 a game potentially, especially as he continues to refine his game. Additionally he's top 15-20 in rebounds in the entire league and tops among guards. Top 5 in the entire league in assists and steals. Not yet MVP caliber obviously but his ceiling seems as high as anyone's. A semi-decent shot (doesn't need to be world-class either) is all that's stopping him from being a 25-8-8 guy right now and that's without even accounting for the natural improvement he should acquire as he polishes up his game. The craziest part might be that he might never even be the best player on his own team.
All of this and then some!

Philly is either the luckiest team in The Association or the front office is a ton smarter than any of us gave them credit for. This team will possibly make the 2nd Round this year, and will be a force for years to come. Everybody wants to tout Boston as the team to beat in The East for the next decade. I think they have a worthy future challenger in these Sixers---Boston is not gonna have two players as dynamic and dominant as Simmons and Embiid. Kyrie is obviously better than both now; nobody else on Boston is better than either right now, and over/under that both become better than Kyrie in one or two years? I'll take the over...

The games are different but the impact of Simmons and Embiid are drawing comparisons of a new era Shaq and Kobe. And I wholly agree with you that Simmons may not ever be the best player on that team. It's becoming a real debate who the most valuable player on that roster is. I think the assumption was always Simmons but this team feeds off of Embiid's personality and his ability to dominate a game in many ways--he just scored 46 points on 20 shots in a multitude of ways...

I also want to take this time to say I think we overrated the talent gap between the Eastern and Western conferences. The scales are definitely tipped towards the West, I just don't think the bridge is as dramatic as we all said it was. And future projections favor the balance of power currently say Boston and Philly are going to help draw it more even along the top tier...

Currently, one month into the season, interconference play is East 49, West 43. The best record in the NBA belongs to The East. The East seeds #1, #4, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #13, and #15 all have better records than their West counterparts. I of course expect this to stabilize as the season wears on, but the early trend is that The East is more competitive than most if us projected it to be, and that the balance of power isn't as monstrous as previously thought...

But my major point agrees with you. This Sixers squad is coming. And The League knows it...

Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
LeBron was an elite defender, but he did not give 100% effort on defense every possession.
LeBron has always been known for taking possessions off.
Simmons does not take possessions off.
If Simmons becomes elite as a defender and doesn't take possessions off, then that's great. I hope he does become elite--he is not now.

Quote:
No, comparing Simmon's stats to peak LeBron stats, is not comparing their play, its merely comparing stats.
Plus, Simmons plays a completely different brand of basketball to LeBron, so you'll never be able to compare them.
Players like Simmons and Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo can dominate and control the outcome of a game without even attempting a shot from the perimeter.
Giannis still needs to get out of the first round. Simmons still needs to learn the NBA game. LBJ is a good goal for Simmons. Simmons will never have LBJ's strength, but he has better handles. Ultimately, Simmons, like LBJ, is a Point Forward.

Quote:
By the way, LeBron developed a jump shot early, but missed the playoffs in his first 2 seasons in the NBA.
LBJ didn't develop a reliable jumper until after losing the '11 Finals to Dallas, who sat Tyson Chandler near the basket and dared LeBron to shoot. They exploited his weakness to beat the Heatles. He recognized it, and developed a shot he could count on in the offseason. Then he had two of his best--most complete--seasons as a pro.

Quote:
(although I should note, Giannis Antetokounmpo is less likely to control the outcome of a game because his basketball IQ is not at the level of Simmons)
Giannis is a better basketball player right now than Simmons. That may not last, but it's very true today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
LOL - dude was just 1 rebound shy of another triple double. Averages of 18/9/8 as a rookie...while leading the league’s biggest turnaround. Kid is basically putting up the same numbers as rookie Magic. If the Sixers win say 45 games (+17 wins), I think he will get a few votes.
In Magic's rookie season, the Lakers won 60 games, earning the 1 seed in the West and the 2nd best record in the league (by 1 game). Wake me up when the Sixers win 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Yes--exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
All of this and then some!

Philly is either the luckiest team in The Association or the front office is a ton smarter than any of us gave them credit for. This team will possibly make the 2nd Round this year, and will be a force for years to come. Everybody wants to tout Boston as the team to beat in The East for the next decade. I think they have a worthy future challenger in these Sixers---Boston is not gonna have two players as dynamic and dominant as Simmons and Embiid. Kyrie is obviously better than both now; nobody else on Boston is better than either right now, and over/under that both become better than Kyrie in one or two years? I'll take the over...

The games are different but the impact of Simmons and Embiid are drawing comparisons of a new era Shaq and Kobe. And I wholly agree with you that Simmons may not ever be the best player on that team. It's becoming a real debate who the most valuable player on that roster is. I think the assumption was always Simmons but this team feeds off of Embiid's personality and his ability to dominate a game in many ways--he just scored 46 points on 20 shots in a multitude of ways...

I also want to take this time to say I think we overrated the talent gap between the Eastern and Western conferences. The scales are definitely tipped towards the West, I just don't think the bridge is as dramatic as we all said it was. And future projections favor the balance of power currently say Boston and Philly are going to help draw it more even along the top tier...

Currently, one month into the season, interconference play is East 49, West 43. The best record in the NBA belongs to The East. The East seeds #1, #4, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #13, and #15 all have better records than their West counterparts. I of course expect this to stabilize as the season wears on, but the early trend is that The East is more competitive than most if us projected it to be, and that the balance of power isn't as monstrous as previously thought...

But my major point agrees with you. This Sixers squad is coming. And The League knows it...
Trust the Process. I mean--they had a lot of top 5 picks, so you would hope they hit on some. But it's nice to see it happening. I don't see them getting out of the 1st Round. I'm doubtful they make the playoffs. But they have a very bright future.

Three Eastern teams are playing above their heads and will regress to the mean. The West remains better, and still has the 3 best teams in the NBA. Small Sample Size alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball