U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post



In Magic's rookie season, the Lakers won 60 games, earning the 1 seed in the West and the 2nd best record in the league (by 1 game). Wake me up when the Sixers win 50.
The Lakers won 47 games the season before Magic arrived and had the leagueís best player in Kareem. Simmons joined a team that won 28 games. HUGE difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2017, 04:34 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The Lakers won 47 games the season before Magic arrived and had the leagueís best player in Kareem. Simmons joined a team that won 28 games. HUGE difference.
The jump from 47 to 60 is a lot bigger than the jump from 28 to 41.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 08:53 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The jump from 47 to 60 is a lot bigger than the jump from 28 to 41.
Says who? In the previous 4 seasons, the Sixers have win totals of 19, 18, 10 and 28. The worst team in the NBA over that stretch. Winning 41+ games and becoming a 5/6 seed PLAYOFF team all while being led by a 20 year old would be a phenomenal turnaround. As I said, Magic came to a Lakers team led by arguably the GOAT who had an MVP season. The closest thing the Sixers have to a MVP veteran: JJ Redick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:02 PM
 
17,258 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Reputation: 28783
Amazing player with incredible stats.

Finally things looking up for the sixers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 09:17 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387
And I guess you would also say Lebron’s impact as a rookie was nothing worth talking about despite the Cavs going from 17 wins to 35 wins. Call me when the Cavs win 50 games, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Says who? In the previous 4 seasons, the Sixers have win totals of 19, 18, 10 and 28. The worst team in the NBA over that stretch. Winning 41+ games and becoming a 5/6 seed PLAYOFF team all while being led by a 20 year old would be a phenomenal turnaround. As I said, Magic came to a Lakers team led by arguably the GOAT who had an MVP season. The closest thing the Sixers have to a MVP veteran: JJ Redick.
The 76ers had a bunch of top draft picks, most of them injured. Yes, it would be impressive if they become a playoff team led by youngsters. No, it does not put Simmons (or Embiid) in the conversation with all time greats. It shows promise (and let's get real: the Sixers have been perennially tanking until now.

47 to 60 is the gap from good to great. 28-41 is the gap from bad to average. Adding 13 marginal wins is much harder when you only have 35 games to do it than it is when you have 54 games to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
And I guess you would also say Lebronís impact as a rookie was nothing worth talking about despite the Cavs going from 17 wins to 35 wins. Call me when the Cavs win 50 games, LOL.
LBJ became the player he is over time--developing his game every year. He wasn't that player as a rookie. As a rookie, he was a promising young player with an unusual set of tools. You know who else was a promising young player with an unusual set of tools? Andrew Bynum. Harrison Barnes. Michael Carter-Williams. Derrick Rose. Brandon Roy. But even the best players take time to round out their games and acclimate to the NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 12:35 PM
 
17,258 posts, read 10,188,976 times
Reputation: 28783
I didn't even realize he was 6'10" until I saw him play recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2017, 09:53 PM
 
5,429 posts, read 1,543,749 times
Reputation: 2264
Simmons is 6'10" but moves with such complete balance and fluidity, he looks even more comfortable with the ball in his hand than John Stockton.
Pippen/LeBron never moved as smooth as Simmons, even though they were shorter than him.
The way Simmons passes the ball, its like he's half asleep and it requires no concentration and minimal movement.
And yet, he's able to turn on a switch and delivery the most vicious of dunks, and sky for huge offensive rebounds.
I think he'll be great in the slam dunk comp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2017, 12:44 AM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The 76ers had a bunch of top draft picks, most of them injured. Yes, it would be impressive if they become a playoff team led by youngsters. No, it does not put Simmons (or Embiid) in the conversation with all time greats. It shows promise (and let's get real: the Sixers have been perennially tanking until now.

47 to 60 is the gap from good to great. 28-41 is the gap from bad to average. Adding 13 marginal wins is much harder when you only have 35 games to do it than it is when you have 54 games to do it.



LBJ became the player he is over time--developing his game every year. He wasn't that player as a rookie. As a rookie, he was a promising young player with an unusual set of tools. You know who else was a promising young player with an unusual set of tools? Andrew Bynum. Harrison Barnes. Michael Carter-Williams. Derrick Rose. Brandon Roy. But even the best players take time to round out their games and acclimate to the NBA.
Lots of draft picks with almost no NBA experience. Plus, Flutz is hurt, Okafor doesn’t play, Stauskas doesn’t play, Covington was undrafted, Saric shoots 38%, McConnell was undrafted. The Sixers aren’t exactly loaded outside of Embiid and Simmons.

Of course we can’t put Simmons in the convo as an all time great, but we couldn’t put any player in history in that convo based on their rookie season.

And let’s not act like only Magic walked onto a average team. The Lakers had an MVP season from Kareem, Michael Cooper became one of the league’s best defenders, Norm Nixon was entering his 3rd season and put up a career best 17.6 ppg, Jamaal Wilkes put up 20ppg on a career best 54%. Magic was a great player that walked onto a team that already had the pieces to become elite. Simmons walks onto a team with basically rookie Embiid and JJ Redick...of course they aren’t getting close to 60 wins like the 1980 Lakers.

People could already tell that Lebron could potentially be elite after his rookie season...the same for Bird, Magic and Jordan. Simmons is so far putting up a rookie stat line that puts him in rare territory. It doesn’t guarantee he’ll be a great, but it’s certainly promising when you look at other players that had a similar rookie season.

As rookies:

Bynum 1.6 ppg/1.7 rpg
Barnes 9/4/1 on 44% shooting
Carter Williams’ 17/6/6 on 40% shooting...at 22 years old
Rose 17/6/4 (on pace to become an all time great if not for injuries)
Roy 17/4/4 @ 22 years old (potentially another great if not for injuries)

So yeah, find me some 20 year old rookies with stats like Simmons who helped a team go from terrible to decent. I bet most of them are top 50 players all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Simmons is 6'10" but moves with such complete balance and fluidity, he looks even more comfortable with the ball in his hand than John Stockton.
Pippen/LeBron never moved as smooth as Simmons, even though they were shorter than him.
The way Simmons passes the ball, its like he's half asleep and it requires no concentration and minimal movement.
And yet, he's able to turn on a switch and delivery the most vicious of dunks, and sky for huge offensive rebounds.
I think he'll be great in the slam dunk comp.
I think he is really talented. I think his footwork is not very smooth (but that can develop). He definitely does not look as comfortable with the ball as John Stockton. Tracy McGrady sounds about right (and that's a good thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Lots of draft picks with almost no NBA experience. Plus, Flutz is hurt, Okafor doesnít play, Stauskas doesnít play, Covington was undrafted, Saric shoots 38%, McConnell was undrafted. The Sixers arenít exactly loaded outside of Embiid and Simmons.

Of course we canít put Simmons in the convo as an all time great, but we couldnít put any player in history in that convo based on their rookie season.

And letís not act like only Magic walked onto a average team. The Lakers had an MVP season from Kareem, Michael Cooper became one of the leagueís best defenders, Norm Nixon was entering his 3rd season and put up a career best 17.6 ppg, Jamaal Wilkes put up 20ppg on a career best 54%. Magic was a great player that walked onto a team that already had the pieces to become elite. Simmons walks onto a team with basically rookie Embiid and JJ Redick...of course they arenít getting close to 60 wins like the 1980 Lakers.

People could already tell that Lebron could potentially be elite after his rookie season...the same for Bird, Magic and Jordan. Simmons is so far putting up a rookie stat line that puts him in rare territory. It doesnít guarantee heíll be a great, but itís certainly promising when you look at other players that had a similar rookie season.

As rookies:

Bynum 1.6 ppg/1.7 rpg
Barnes 9/4/1 on 44% shooting
Carter Williamsí 17/6/6 on 40% shooting...at 22 years old
Rose 17/6/4 (on pace to become an all time great if not for injuries)
Roy 17/4/4 @ 22 years old (potentially another great if not for injuries)

So yeah, find me some 20 year old rookies with stats like Simmons who helped a team go from terrible to decent. I bet most of them are top 50 players all time.
Lots of people thought Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings could be elite after their rookie seasons. Bird, Magic, Jordan, and LeBron are among the best players ever to play. It is ridiculous to think that any rookie belongs in that territory--because they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top