U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:45 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Lots of people thought Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings could be elite after their rookie seasons. Bird, Magic, Jordan, and LeBron are among the best players ever to play. It is ridiculous to think that any rookie belongs in that territory--because they don't.
Evans maybe, but not so much Jennings. No one is putting Simmons among the all time greats - we are simply looking at his stats/impact on the team and saying that his ROOKIE season has been comparable to that of many all time greats. The most obvious comparison as a 610 PG is Magic - their stats are almost identical and their teams immediately b came better. Like Magic, Simmons will be an all star as a rookie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,041,880 times
And Simmons follows the GSW game with a 27/10/2 performance...and 4 steals.

League wide he’s currently:

#17 in rebounds (as a point guard!)
#5 in assists
#7 in steals
#23 in fg percentage
#38 in ppg (probably ~#35 after tonight)

Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 AM

5,428 posts, read 1,542,035 times
At the all-star break, Simmons:
16.4 points
7.8 rebounds
7.3 assists
1.9 steals
0.9 blocks
.527 field
.000 treys
.565 frees
3.7 turnovers (not bad, considering he's #1 in the NBA in touches)
54 games
34.9 minutes

Hopefully Simmons will snub the NBA All-Star game for the next 15 years.
If anyone asks him why, he can just say "I only play to win" or "I need my rest".
Each year the NBA commissioner will be like-

Old 02-18-2018, 03:41 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
It's one of the reasons why I strongly believe the fans should vote for all the players who make the all-star game like many other pro-sports leagues. Letting the coaches pick the reserves is stupid. They're just as if not more bias than fans are when it comes to player selection. The NBA should just let the fans vote. Nobody cares about who the coaches want to see in the all star game.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's one of the reasons why I strongly believe the fans should vote for all the players who make the all-star game like many other pro-sports leagues. Letting the coaches pick the reserves is stupid. They're just as if not more bias than fans are when it comes to player selection. The NBA should just let the fans vote. Nobody cares about who the coaches want to see in the all star game.
Exactly.
Fans doing all the voting would be a more popular idea than anything Silver has done so far.
Whereas voting for just the starters is nowhere near as fun, because its fairly easy to predict most of the starters.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 AM

74 posts, read 27,001 times
I'm from the Philly area so I watch all the Sixers games, but I'm also an NBA fan and always buy League Pass so I can watch the entire league. Simmons has been great. I have been impressed. I've been to a couple of Sixers games and he's a treat to watch.

I watched most of the summer league action last summer and there was a player that I thought stood out. I told everyone I know that this guy might win rookie of the year. Sixers fans didn't want to hear it. His name is Donovan Mitchell. Most fans know about him now because he won the dunk contest. No surprise there if you've seen him play much. He defends, blocks shots and is a pure scorer. This is why I thought he was the most impressive summer league player and I believe he should be Rookie of the year. I have seen him take over games, especially his 40+ point game earlier in the season. There aren't too many 6' 3" players that can take over a game. I find myself checking the schedule every night to see if the Jazz are playing.

It will be neck and neck between Simmons and Mitchell for ROY honors. Simmons might have the edge because he's in the East, and the Jazz don't get much national coverage. The dunk contest will certainly get Mitchell more attention. He's so much more than a leaper though. It will be interesting to see how they both finish.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
I'm from the Philly area so I watch all the Sixers games, but I'm also an NBA fan and always buy League Pass so I can watch the entire league. Simmons has been great. I have been impressed. I've been to a couple of Sixers games and he's a treat to watch.

I watched most of the summer league action last summer and there was a player that I thought stood out. I told everyone I know that this guy might win rookie of the year. Sixers fans didn't want to hear it. His name is Donovan Mitchell. Most fans know about him now because he won the dunk contest. No surprise there if you've seen him play much. He defends, blocks shots and is a pure scorer. This is why I thought he was the most impressive summer league player and I believe he should be Rookie of the year. I have seen him take over games, especially his 40+ point game earlier in the season. There aren't too many 6' 3" players that can take over a game. I find myself checking the schedule every night to see if the Jazz are playing.

It will be neck and neck between Simmons and Mitchell for ROY honors. Simmons might have the edge because he's in the East, and the Jazz don't get much national coverage. The dunk contest will certainly get Mitchell more attention. He's so much more than a leaper though. It will be interesting to see how they both finish.
Mitchell is a stud, agreed. Man, I hate that my Hornets passed on him and took Monk. I watched a lot of ACC basketball and knew Mitchell well and wanted him in Charlotte. Fail!

Simmons is a special player though. As long as he stays healthy he'll be fun to watch for a long time.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:22 AM

74 posts, read 27,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Mitchell is a stud, agreed. Man, I hate that my Hornets passed on him and took Monk. I watched a lot of ACC basketball and knew Mitchell well and wanted him in Charlotte. Fail!

Simmons is a special player though. As long as he stays healthy he'll be fun to watch for a long time.
Simmons had a great game last night vs Chicago and hit 2 clutch free throws with 6+ seconds to go to win it for the Sixers. He's going to have work on his shooting though. Both perimeter and free throws are a big weakness for him. He does so many other things well. If he can develop an outside game, he might be one of those perennial All Star type players.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Yes 32 points and 11 assists at Chicago.
The free-throws shooting is a weakness but it hasn't been a weakness in the 4th quarter.
I've seen him regularly shoot them very well in the 4th quarter this season.
He's got the clutch gene.

If Simmons develops a jump shot next season, he'll average about 30ppg, because he's already top 4 in points in the paint.
A jump shot will make scoring in the paint even easier.
And if Embiid is injured, Simmons will probably average about 35ppg.
But I doubt he'll have the desire to shoot enough, because he likes passing so much.

His jump shot looked good in the Chicago game, so he'll probably shoot it consistently well next season because he'll work on it in summer.
However, he better not fall into the trap of becoming a jump shooter.
There is nothing more boring than a jump shooter.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post

But has Mitchell got any talents on the Simmons level?

Simmons is one of the best all-round players in the NBA, at both ends of the court.
Simmons is one of the best scorers in the paint in the NBA.
Simmons is one of the best passers in the NBA.
Simmons is one of the best defenders in the NBA.

Mitchell is known for scoring and shooting, right?
I don't consider Mitchell one of the best scorers in the NBA.
And I don't consider Mitchell one of the best shooters in the NBA.

The only thing he does better than Simmons is perimeter shooting and free-throws, and he's only shooting .354 from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball