Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:22 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Saw this interesting comparison posted today:

NBA: Where Michael Jordan, LeBron James stack up ahead of his 1,072nd career game

Lebron and Jordan have now played the same amount of games.

Jordan averages 3 more ppg. Lebron averages 1 more rebound (is Jordan underrated as a rebounder?), and 2 more assist. Jordan averages about 1 extra steal. Jordan’s PER is slightly higher.

Finals record for Jordan 6-0; Lebron 3-5.

Finals MVPs - Jordan 6; Lebron 3

All NBA selections - Jordan 11; Lebron 13

Jordan 5 MVPs; Lebron 4.

Jordan 1 DPOY award; Lebron 0

Jordan 9 all defensive selections; Lebron 6

Like I said after Lebron won his 3rd championship - the back half of their careers might be what separates Jordan and Lebron. Post retirement, Jordan came back at age 32, 33 and 34 to win several MVPs and 3 more championships. Lebron may not have enough left in the tank for 3 or 4 more championships as a #1 option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM

* tonight will be game 1072 for Lebron

Old 11-07-2017, 06:53 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Why does it matter if he wins another as a #1? Kobe won three when he wasn't a #1, Wade won two when he wasn't a #1, was KG even the #1 on his one championship? Duncan was not the #1 on his last chip (2014), and let's not even touch Magic and Kareem...

For the record, I agree that Lebron may not be #1 on another championship team; I agree that's a possibility. Where I disagree is if that actually matters. His run as the best player in the game is unrivaled by only Jordan and maybesomebody else. If he has to win more championships as a #2 (or even #3) option, to me it doesn't diminish his greatness, as he won three in his prime. And at any rate, he still may be a #1 on another championship roster, that remains to be seen...

He won't catch Jordan in rings. Maybe tie him in MVPs? I do think Lebron will get #4 before he retires. He's too driven. It may not be this year (or next), but he is going to retire with at least 4 rings to his name, even if he isn't the #1 on that roster...

Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 PM

149 posts, read 113,530 times
2011 - 14 was Lebron greatest chance to surpass Jordan

Old 11-11-2017, 02:17 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Jordan is the GOAT. He made the NBA into a international business.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM

526 posts, read 386,324 times
I got to watch both of them play in their primes. I got to watch both play in person.

What a treat that was/is.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCkidd View Post
2011 - 14 was Lebron greatest chance to surpass Jordan
I disagree- he was expected to win there.

15-Current is the opportunity and he's 1-2. You could say 1-1 as '15 he rolled into Game 2 with Delly as his sidekick. He returned to Cleveland to a championship starved city delivered a title and had an opportunity last season to beat one of the best teams in recent history.

Let's say he wins one this year. And for sake of throwing out a hypothetical jumps to Lakers or Knicks and wins a title in a few season years. He'd have his unbelievable numbers of course and now 5 titles.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:31 PM

It will be interesting to see how much longer Lebron can play at a high level to have a shot at what Jordan did from 32-34. He’ll be 33.5 going into this year’s finals and he’s got a lot of mileage with all these finals runs. Jordan was still the best at 34 but he wasn’t at his best...plus he had a few years off. I’m thinking there’s probably a 50-50 shot that he stays totally healthy over the next few seasons. Look at what happened to Kobe and other stars...a few nagging injuries or a big one and they just can’t get back to what they used to be.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
I got to watch both of them play in their primes. I got to watch both play in person.

What a treat that was/is.
Who do you think was better in their prime?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Why does it matter if he wins another as a #1? Kobe won three when he wasn't a #1, Wade won two when he wasn't a #1, was KG even the #1 on his one championship? Duncan was not the #1 on his last chip (2014), and let's not even touch Magic and Kareem...

For the record, I agree that Lebron may not be #1 on another championship team; I agree that's a possibility. Where I disagree is if that actually matters. His run as the best player in the game is unrivaled by only Jordan and maybesomebody else. If he has to win more championships as a #2 (or even #3) option, to me it doesn't diminish his greatness, as he won three in his prime. And at any rate, he still may be a #1 on another championship roster, that remains to be seen...

He won't catch Jordan in rings. Maybe tie him in MVPs? I do think Lebron will get #4 before he retires. He's too driven. It may not be this year (or next), but he is going to retire with at least 4 rings to his name, even if he isn't the #1 on that roster...
Wade and KG aren’t in the discussion as a top 3 players or even top 10. Kobe could be, but I’m not sure you’d pencil him in as a clear #2 for the entire 3-peat considering in two of those playoff runs he was somewhat unstoppable and putting up around 27-29 ppg/6 rpg/6 apg (numbers comparable to Lebron or any elite superstar). Not really sure which title you don’t give to Duncan - even in the 2014 playoffs at 37 he was the Spurs’ 2nd leading scorer (1ppg less than Parker), 1st in rebounds, 1st in blocks, and 2nd in FG%. Considering his defensive contribution I’d say Duncan at his worst (compared to other championships) was his team’s best players.

Keep in mind this look at stats was a direct comparison between MJ and Lebron. Saying Lebron is still great despite lesser accomplishments just doesn’t cut it in a GOAT comparison. A 4th ring for Lebron in a role similar to say Drexler or Barkley for the Rockets (let’s say in a few years he somehow joins prime Westbrook or something) just wouldn’t be equivalent to any of Jordan’s 6 rings. Lebron has a chance to get a 4th this year, but you’ve gotta think the window is closing. I’d like to see him play at his peak a few more years, but I also won’t be totally surprised if he has an injury that instantly takes him out and doesn’t allow him to play at the same level.

It would’ve been interesting to see how Jordan’s career plays out if he doesn’t retire in ‘93 or plays a few more years after ‘98. I guess it sorta adds to the Jordan mystique that we never got to see him just not have it anymore (other than a just for fun return with the Wizards).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball