U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM

929 posts, read 297,657 times

Advertisements

Many people prefer the college game for a litany of reasons. It has never been about who the best players are, whether it be basketball or football. Of course we all know where they reside, that goes without saying. All sorts of people I know of that love basketball, including myself, much prefer the movement and picks, superior defensive tenacity, and coaching strategy that makes the college game much more exciting. Too much one player dribbling 25 feet from the basket maybe one pass, not to mention the prototypical sterile environment of an NBA arena; no thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 01:02 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Many people prefer the college game for a litany of reasons. It has never been about who the best players are, whether it be basketball or football. Of course we all know where they reside, that goes without saying. All sorts of people I know of that love basketball, including myself, much prefer the movement and picks, superior defensive tenacity, and coaching strategy that makes the college game much more exciting. Too much one player dribbling 25 feet from the basket maybe one pass, not to mention the prototypical sterile environment of an NBA arena; no thank you.
This was the NBA, like, 20 years ago. Believe it or not, this is a common gripe I hear from people who haven't followed the NBA much since Jordan's retirement. They believe the NBA is more Allen Iverson than San Antonio Spurs.

The reality is that there has never been a college team with this type of ball movement and synergy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0chJYH-tpnA

Old 11-30-2017, 07:20 PM

929 posts, read 297,657 times
The irony is that I use to hear complaints about too many 3 point shots in college, which is really more of a by-product of where the line is located. I was flabbergasted to learn what has happened in the NBA in recent years. The 1983 76ers were one of the greatest teams in history and shot TWO the entire NBA Finals on their way to easily sweeping Los Angeles. And made neither of them btw. Ball movement? I don't know- I was pretty impressed with Villanova two seasons ago, but it is still sort of apples and oranges comparing great ball movement in college to the NBA: different spacing, different rules, etc... But the Spurs I agree would be one team I'd be more way interested in watching play.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,505,028 times
Kevin Durant was the best freshman that I ever seen. Durant had little help beside him. Bagley has 4 other first round talents on his squad. I'm a Blue Devil fan so I am very biased FOR him but let's not get carried away. Let's see what this team does in March.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,061,094 times
Quote:
I like college better, but I also like the strategy that goes into winning despite the limitations of college players/rules. The stands are full of crazy fans that all go to that school and the players are kids that make mistakes...playing what is essentially a kids game.

Take a team like Witchita St for example - they probably don’t have a top 25 draft pick on the team but they’ll likely give anyone trouble. NBA is all about being as top heavy in talent as possible. Warriors for example have 4 all stars and a couple of the best role players...and they’ll probably play in their 4th straight finals.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,153,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This was the NBA, like, 20 years ago. Believe it or not, this is a common gripe I hear from people who haven't followed the NBA much since Jordan's retirement. They believe the NBA is more Allen Iverson than San Antonio Spurs.
agree with you on this one.

also the easiest way to know if someone hasn't watched an nba game since at least the jordan years is when they use the all to common 'no defense' joke

Old 11-30-2017, 10:08 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,153,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Warriors for example have 4 all stars and a couple of the best role players...and they’ll probably play in their 4th straight finals.
how is that different than when duke plays pitt or wake forest? that part is wayyy worse in college.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I like college better, but I also like the strategy that goes into winning despite the limitations of college players/rules. The stands are full of crazy fans that all go to that school and the players are kids that make mistakes...playing what is essentially a kids game.

Take a team like Witchita St for example - they probably don’t have a top 25 draft pick on the team but they’ll likely give anyone trouble. NBA is all about being as top heavy in talent as possible. Warriors for example have 4 all stars and a couple of the best role players...and they’ll probably play in their 4th straight finals.
I don't think that's true. That 73 wins Warriors team did not have the most talented individual components. Draymond Green probably wouldn't be an All-Star playing for the Sixers or Wizards. Klay Thompson is essentially a catch and shoot player with no ISO game. Curry was their most dynamic player, but he's not the type of player who's going to put up 30 ppg in a Scott Brooks ISO-dominated offense. The Warriors' whole is greater than the sum of its parts and there are few great teams in history you can really say that about. They are a model of teamwork and fundamental basketball and that's what made them such a joy to watch. Their front office deserves as much if not more credit than the players.

The 2014 Spurs were definitely a less talented team than the 2014 Heat. They had two star players pushing 40, a raw, athletic kid with cornrows that they eventually molded into a star, and a bunch of relatively unknown role players from foreign countries. That team took very talented OKC and Heat teams to the woodshed. It wasn't their talent that got them over the edge. They beat more talented teams by playing a superior brand of basketball. Steve Kerr then took what he learned from Pop, combined it with what he learned from Phil and Tex Winters, and then created his own monster. The Celtics is another team that succeeds by playing selfless, intelligent basketball.

So yeah, talent still matters, but some humiliating Team USA losses against clearly inferior competition, as well as the influx of international players bringing new things to the game, has caused organizations to re-evaluate their approach to the game, and I think it's been for the better. We clearly have a more shooting, cutting and ball movement-oriented league than what we've seen in the past. I haven't seen a similar shift in the college game.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
The irony is that I use to hear complaints about too many 3 point shots in college, which is really more of a by-product of where the line is located. I was flabbergasted to learn what has happened in the NBA in recent years. The 1983 76ers were one of the greatest teams in history and shot TWO the entire NBA Finals on their way to easily sweeping Los Angeles. And made neither of them btw. Ball movement? I don't know- I was pretty impressed with Villanova two seasons ago, but it is still sort of apples and oranges comparing great ball movement in college to the NBA: different spacing, different rules, etc... But the Spurs I agree would be one team I'd be more way interested in watching play.
I think there's a lot less innovation in college basketball. In college football, we see a lot of concepts like zone-read, the option, pistol, wildcat and the jet sweep that are adopted in some measure by NFL teams. A lot of innovation in football comes from the college ranks. When was the last time college basketball had any significant influence on the pro game? It's probably been about 40 or 50 years. Change in basketball goes from the top down, not bottom up.

The NBA has changed a lot more dramatically in the last 20 years, partially due to rule changes, but also due to external influences. As I said earlier, I think Team USA losses in international competition forced many coaches to re-evaluate the American basketball paradigm. Then you have a lot of international players who didn't come up through the U.S. basketball system and have significantly more exposure to other systems of basketball who have changed the character of the League. As a consequence, the NBA is the laboratory of modern day basketball rather than college.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-30-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 11:42 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,061,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
how is that different than when duke plays pitt or wake forest? that part is wayyy worse in college.
Duke can be beat on any given night. Just look at what’s happened this season with several unranked teams being a few bounces from taking them down. Duke is consistantly good no doubt but they have a lot more disappointing years than great years. The NBA is a little more predictable because you aren’t dealing with kids or players that leave or develop as quickly/surprisingly as 18-19 year olds (Luke Maye for UNC for example). NBA still takes a lot of minor strategy changes, but let’s not kid ourselves - how many people were predicting anything outside of 2 or 3 teams to make the finals the past few seasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball