U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:07 AM

25 posts, read 28,854 times

Advertisements

Been watching college basketball since 1982 and I have to say that Duke's freshman Marvin Bagley is well worth the price of admission. He can do it all! I mean shoot 3's, shoot for percentage, dominate the paint offensively, rebound, block shots, on ball defender (athletic freak). Oh yeah and stands out on a highly talented team full of NBA prospects. He could use work on his free throws, that's it though. Definitely #1 overall NBA draft pick. Anyone else seen him/agree? My opinion best I've ever seen as a true freshman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 09:11 AM

929 posts, read 297,806 times
Why are the only college threads created in the basketball forum have to do with Duke? Well, I guess you must be a Duke fan, so that's ok, even if I'm not one. Its kind of sad though I see next-to-no talk about college basketball on this forum and even though at least regular season NCAA hoops has lost a lot of popularity the past 15 years, its sort of strange on citydata to see all these NBA threads.
In any event, from what I have seen with Bagley, he definitely is seasoned beyond his age. Great player for sure right now. Will he get better is the big question? I've seen heralded freshmen step right into the limelight and never improve over the course of time. Of course such players never stay more than a year, so I'll have to open the vault and come up with two names off the top of my head from yesteryear; UNC's JR Reid and Louisville's Pervis Ellison (who led Louisville to a national championship his first year).

Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,063,091 times
He’s good but I don’t know about best ever...granted I’ve only watched 3 or 4 games so far. He does seem to make it look easy though...seems like he’ll have 25 points without doing anything dramatic.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:15 AM

25 posts, read 28,854 times
My next 3 names that come to mind are Anthony Davis (Kentucky) and Jahil Okafor (Duke) and Carmelo Anthony (Cuse) who all won NCAA titles in a dominant fashion. I so remember Never nervous Pervis heck he beat the Dukies in that Championship and Duke was stacked.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:06 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,063,091 times
Ok...a after a 30/15 performance against #7 Florida maybe he is one of the best freshmen ever.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superquest View Post
My next 3 names that come to mind are Anthony Davis (Kentucky) and Jahil Okafor (Duke) and Carmelo Anthony (Cuse) who all won NCAA titles in a dominant fashion. I so remember Never nervous Pervis heck he beat the Dukies in that Championship and Duke was stacked.
It was very odd what happened to "Never Nervous" Pervis. Carries Louisville on his back on the way to a national title. Never was as dominant in his remaining college career. Total bust in the NBA.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Its kind of sad though I see next-to-no talk about college basketball on this forum and even though at least regular season NCAA hoops has lost a lot of popularity the past 15 years, its sort of strange on citydata to see all these NBA threads.
There's not much point in discussing the college game until the conference tournaments at the very least. That's because the one-and-done format of the NCAA makes most of the regular season irrelevant background noise. There's a much weaker correlation between regular season and post-season success in college BB. The NBA regular season is a more accurate barometer of how teams will likely perform in the post-season so we pay closer attention to it.

It's also the case that the NBA simply has a far superior product. Superior athleticism, superior skills and fundamentals. This has always been the case but the quality gap is even wider today since many of the top programs have few if any upperclassmen playing significant minutes. We only go to see one year of a very raw and unfinished Anthony Davis. We got to see 4 years of Tim Duncan. This makes a big difference as far as the quality of play goes.

Come tournament time we'll pick up discussion of NCAA BB. But for now it's not really worth talking about.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's not much point in discussing the college game until the conference tournaments at the very least. That's because the one-and-done format of the NCAA makes most of the regular season irrelevant background noise. There's a much weaker correlation between regular season and post-season success in college BB. The NBA regular season is a more accurate barometer of how teams will likely perform in the post-season so we pay closer attention to it.

It's also the case that the NBA simply has a far superior product. Superior athleticism, superior skills and fundamentals. This has always been the case but the quality gap is even wider today since many of the top programs have few if any upperclassmen playing significant minutes. We only go to see one year of a very raw and unfinished Anthony Davis. We got to see 4 years of Tim Duncan. This makes a big difference as far as the quality of play goes.

Come tournament time we'll pick up discussion of NCAA BB. But for now it's not really worth talking about.
I think its kind of sad- it is hard to know the players and there are so many competitive I-A teams, its hard to follow a "whose who of college basketball". The regular season is meaningless in most sports- I guess I understand your point that it is still a better barometer of who is going to be successful in the postseason in sports like the NBA than NCAA basketball. But I think too, the enlarged conferences where not everybody plays everybody twice and Boston College was where they belonged (the old Big East) and Maryland was where they belonged (ACC), made the regular season worthwhile. You tuned in to see if the 'Tark the Shark' UNLV team was going to lose a game or if the final day of the season if Duke or UNC would win and hence capture the ACC crown.

I'm just surprised, given I just don't sense much interest in the NBA where ever I go, even where there are competitive teams in the proximity (obviously there is a few exceptions in cities I haven't been to in recent times). I personally love those high level mid-major teams that may not win it all, but are good, and best of all, have upperclassmen, play as a cohesive unit, and tend to shoot the ball well. Way more interesting than watching the NBA imo. I hate watching the college programs with all the one and dones. One, I just don't like the reality of it. Two, it is bad basketball to have to watch until the teams get more seasoned. Unfortunately you end up I think more and more with the likes of 2014 Kentucky, who were awful to watch and not all that good despite the talent, then got all the way to the national championship game. So yes I admit- your point is well-taken in some circumstances that regular season college hoops is not a good barometer of what will happen later.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,158,196 times
Luckily for my team plus three others, the MSG owners don’t think the same way as some on here do:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP4_7iqUMAE5ssG.jpg

Old 11-30-2017, 09:49 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I personally love those high level mid-major teams that may not win it all, but are good, and best of all, have upperclassmen, play as a cohesive unit, and tend to shoot the ball well.
If this is what you consider good basketball, then you *should* enjoy the NBA more. The longest amount of time any college team can be together is four years. Curry, Green and Thompson have been together for 6 years. Ginobili, D. Green, Leonard, Mills and Parker have been together for 7 years. Sure, there are trades in the NBA, but a core group of players on any team is likely to be together longer than a core group of players on any college team. There's also the fact that they play more games than they do in college and have unlimited time to devote to perfecting their craft. This allows for more cohesion than any college team could hope to achieve.

Skills-wise, it's not even close. Has there been any pursuit in the history of mankind where amateurs were better than professionals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball