U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:12 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,882,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Kyrie was tired of being in LeBron's shadow. That's why he demanded to be traded. The Cavs are not as strong as they were with Irving, but they do still have Kevin Love. Love is an important player for the Cavs in his own right.

I won't forget how close the Thunder were to pulling off two major upsets that year. OKC had already defeated the 67-win Spurs, and should they have succeeded in defeating 73-win Golden State, they could've very well defeated the Cavs in the Finals. One thing for sure is that Kevin Durant would've re-signed with the Thunder if OKC had won it all that year. The Warriors lost in the Finals because Stephen Curry got injured early in the playoffs and never fully recovered. Combine that with the fact that Draymond Green couldn't keep his act together, and that's what caused their historic season to end in heartbreak. I will admit that even though I'm a huge Warriors fan, there are some things that Green does that makes me think he's childish and needs to grow up. Had the Warriors succeeded in repeating as champions in 2016, there is no way KD would've signed with them. That would be considered hopping aboard a dynasty, and Durant's reputation would've been ruined a lot more than it was when he chose to sign with Golden State in July that year. Should Golden State have won the Finals in 2016, I think KD would've either re-signed with OKC or signed with the Boston Celtics.
Kyrie threw a tantrum because LBJ wanted to trade him for Paul George.

KD's brilliance carried the Thunder past a historically good Spurs team and nearly past a historically good Warriors team.

Draymond Green is a phenomenal basketball player. He has a major competitive edge, and the Warriors need his edge.

I suspect KD would not have chosen the Warriors if they had won in '16--but he's a pretty surprising guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:56 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,074,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

KD's brilliance carried the Thunder past a historically good Spurs team and nearly past a historically good Warriors team.

Draymond Green is a phenomenal basketball player. He has a major competitive edge, and the Warriors need his edge.

I suspect KD would not have chosen the Warriors if they had won in '16--but he's a pretty surprising guy.
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. KD had a 3-1 lead in the conference finals and found a way to lose. KD made the finals and only managed to win 1 game. How many all-time greats have stains like that on their resume?

There are probably 5+ players that could’ve joined an already good team like the Warriors and made them even better (Kawhi, AD, Lebron, PG).

Old 03-23-2018, 09:55 PM

498 posts, read 143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post

Wow really? I never really knew about that.

With Kevin Durant healthy again after an injury-riddled 2014-2015 season, everyone was hopeful that OKC would have a legitimate shot at a title. Combine that with the fact that everyone else on the team, including Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka, were able to stay healthy as well. OKC was well on its way to making it back to the Finals after defeating the 67-win Spurs. Unfortunately, they were unable to get past the 73-win Warriors. Who knows what would've happened had the Thunder defeated the Warriors. I think the Thunder would've won the title that year, as they would've had tremendous confidence after defeating a Golden State team who set the record for most wins in a regular season.

I completely understand that Draymond Green getting emotional for the team helps get them going, but there are times when he goes a little too far. Some of his actions have made me question his maturity, such as kicking other players in the groin area, whether intentional or not. This is basketball, not martial arts.

I agree that Kevin Durant can be a surprising player at times, but there's no way he would've signed with Golden State had they succeeded in repeating in 2016. As angry as people were with his decision to join the team after they lost, it would've been much worse had he signed with the Warriors after they had repeated as champions.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. KD had a 3-1 lead in the conference finals and found a way to lose. KD made the finals and only managed to win 1 game. How many all-time greats have stains like that on their resume?

There are probably 5+ players that could’ve joined an already good team like the Warriors and made them even better (Kawhi, AD, Lebron, PG).
"Almost" is indeed the key word there. The Thunder could've very well closed the Western Conference Finals out in Game 6, but they were unable to slow down a red-hot Klay Thompson, who knocked down a playoff record 11 threes in that game.

Had the Warriors failed in their attempts to sign KD, there would've been plenty of other good options for them, such as the players you listed and Al Horford.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,308,523 times
I would rather see Toronto come out of the east this year. My take on Cleveland is that they are just not that great now. Kevin Love puts up scoring and rebounding numbers, but also has a history of being benched for 4th quarters. Thompson is a role player who rebounds and bangs, but does little else. JR Smith is shooting .391 fg%. And so on.

Some were excited when they made the big trade, but the guys they got were mostly Lakers cast offs. Sure they are younger and faster, but picking up several Laker cast offs mid season is hardly a plan for a title run. George Hill helps since he can somewhat relieve Lebron from having to serve as main scorer AND main distributor. But even Hill is not the first pg who comes to mind for a title run.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 PM

25,976 posts, read 13,492,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I would rather see Toronto come out of the east this year. My take on Cleveland is that they are just not that great now. Kevin Love puts up scoring and rebounding numbers, but also has a history of being benched for 4th quarters. Thompson is a role player who rebounds and bangs, but does little else. JR Smith is shooting .391 fg%. And so on.

Some were excited when they made the big trade, but the guys they got were mostly Lakers cast offs. Sure they are younger and faster, but picking up several Laker cast offs mid season is hardly a plan for a title run. George Hill helps since he can somewhat relieve Lebron from having to serve as main scorer AND main distributor. But even Hill is not the first pg who comes to mind for a title run.
No surprise I agree wholeheartedly with your first sentence.

And the rest makes sense. I'd just add that there's no doubt the Cavs can score. But can they stop other teams from doing likewise - and more?

Old 03-31-2018, 12:46 PM

1,991 posts, read 875,264 times
Huge Lebron fan but I want to see the Cavs vs The Rockets!

Old 03-31-2018, 01:27 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,074,520 times
The Raptors are boring. I think most people want to see the drama from Lebron and co. I’m hoping Houston can make the West interesting. Beard vs Lebron in the finals.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 AM

2,148 posts, read 3,678,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Cavs haven't hit their stride and when the new guys 'stop thinking' and just react the team will hit the next level. Cavs (and LJ) pretty well own the Raptors, especially in a series.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Huge Lebron fan but I want to see the Cavs vs The Rockets!
Houston will have to get past the Warriors first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball