U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:09 PM

3,962 posts, read 2,514,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ever considered taking up Frisbee golf? Relatively cheap, no tee times, no uptight "golfers" or dress code etc.
No, I had not. I have been to a few parks where they had the frisbee golf stuff set up, and I have even seen a couple of people playing, but I had not considering picking up one myself--yet. I wont say I would never play it, because I just might one day.

Have you played?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:56 AM

52,013 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
No, I had not. I have been to a few parks where they had the frisbee golf stuff set up, and I have even seen a couple of people playing, but I had not considering picking up one myself--yet. I wont say I would never play it, because I just might one day.

Have you played?
I'm late 40's and I stared a couple years back after playing with some relatives at a family gathering.

I hated regular golf. I love disc golf but there are a lot of great courses around the KC area. Other parts of the country it's even better, some worse. If you get into it there are apps for like $3 that will show you every course around you wherever you go in the country.

I play on average about twice a week weather permitting and have a friend that's fallen in love with it as well.

Like I said, no tee times...no greens fees..no carts...no dress code.

you're athletic, you'll pick it up fast. You can get used discs for $7 or so...and for starting out you just need 2-3 discs. Easiest way is if you know someone that plays, just ask them to take you and lend you a disc to throw around.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 AM

424 posts, read 212,702 times
I would choose disc golf 100x a week over golf. I don’t play either but those that that play golf seem so pretentious and arrogant. Besides that it’s expensive and you have to give up at least half day just to play. I like putt putt, does that count?

Ahh forget it just give me a basket to shoot at.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

3,498 posts, read 1,924,879 times
Definitely more of a tall person's game, but plenty of small guys have fun with it.

I've noticed that the real athletic high school kids in our town frequently enjoy competing in basketball, regardless of height.

But that's what's required to be successful these days, not just skills as in the past, especially for short guys.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:01 AM

3,962 posts, read 2,514,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm late 40's and I stared a couple years back after playing with some relatives at a family gathering.

I hated regular golf. I love disc golf but there are a lot of great courses around the KC area. Other parts of the country it's even better, some worse. If you get into it there are apps for like $3 that will show you every course around you wherever you go in the country.

I play on average about twice a week weather permitting and have a friend that's fallen in love with it as well.

Like I said, no tee times...no greens fees..no carts...no dress code.

you're athletic, you'll pick it up fast. You can get used discs for $7 or so...and for starting out you just need 2-3 discs. Easiest way is if you know someone that plays, just ask them to take you and lend you a disc to throw around.
I may have to take a look. I dont know if around here anyone plays, or if we have any courses in the area, but I think I will take a look around!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,057,593 times
One thing I noticed is that usually when playing for fun at the gym, with friends or in recreational leagues, the tallest guys are usually about 6’5 (the center for our high school was that size) or so and almost none of them have any sort of real post up skills to utilize their height over more average size people. Most of the 6’4 or 6’5 guys move nothing like NBA players of that height...they are typically the least coordinated players and can’t dribble. Now if you play somewhere against former D1 or even D2 college players that might be a different story. The best players when I play are typically under 6’1, fast as lightning, very coordinated and can jump out of the gym. “Point guards” rule the floor in unorganized fun play.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:46 PM

3,242 posts, read 4,582,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
My most challenging thing whether pickup or league is playing against a bigger guy that wants to post you up. Any insights on how to defend these guys?
Here's a clinic on how to defend 1-5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9vFHYVXtRk

He defended point guards in the perimeter to Patrick Ewing in the post.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,057,593 times
Scottie can definitely show you how’s it’s done but he was a pretty big dude at about 6’8 with really long arms and elite Lebron-like athleticism. Rodman also guarded big guys and smaller players when he was younger. What’s fun is getting like a 5’5 guarding you so you can post up and practice Hakeem moves. However I’ve had some that just have great low body strength and don’t make anything easy.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 PM

52,013 posts, read 41,844,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Scottie can definitely show you howís itís done but he was a pretty big dude at about 6í8 with really long arms and elite Lebron-like athleticism. Rodman also guarded big guys and smaller players when he was younger. Whatís fun is getting like a 5í5 guarding you so you can post up and practice Hakeem moves. However Iíve had some that just have great low body strength and donít make anything easy.
That raises the important discussion here re: NBA forum and that's exploiting match-ups.

Pippen did EXTREMELY well against Magic Johnson (for example) but struggled more with physical players like Mason (knicks), Rodman (Det) and so forth.

Against the Jazz one year the Bulls went after an age reduce Hornacek like a wounded wildabeast on the African Savanna.

An even better example would be the Spurs jamming Tony Parker up the Suns butt repeatedly given that Nash couldn't stop him.

Good strategies.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:52 AM

284 posts, read 177,183 times
5'9" here...

My household was an NFL one and I never even learned about NBA until jr. high. But bball quickly became my favorite sport and I started following David Robinson because he was drafted from the Navy #1 overall and I wanted to go into the military and he seemed like such a good guy.

In high school, after work at 11pm I often would drive to the outside courts and turn my lights on and shoot for an hour or more by myself just because I loved it so much.

I never played on the high school team as everyone on our team had much more experience (and height) than me. But once I got into the Air Force, I was a gym rat. On my days off, it was not unheard of for me to play 10+ hours a day. My tricks involved running, running, running. I would tire out whoever was guarding me and was often first down the court on steals or deflections. Cherry picks were a big part of my value. I had a 3 pt shot as well.

Describing my game, I would say someone like Patty Mills, just an energy ball.

Once I got out, we would play the city summer league 3vs3 tourneys every year and we won the whole thing for our category back to back.

I now have 2 bad acl's and am 40 but I still watch 3+ NBA games a week on t.v. and go at least to 4 or 5 live games a year here in SLC and love it just as much as I ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or