U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 AM
 
180 posts, read 109,510 times
Reputation: 228

Advertisements

A lot of great shooters mentioned above


I'll include:
Young guys
Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, Devin Booker

Old School
Dale Ellis, Craig Hodges, Dana Barros, Allan Houston,
John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, Mark price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 AM
 
1,742 posts, read 5,011,603 times
Reputation: 714
Not to say top 5 shooters, but Dirk and Kobe are worth mentioning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 PM
 
52,155 posts, read 41,961,372 times
Reputation: 32553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The poster's non sequitur was at best the prelude to a good old days argument.

More likely, I think s/he objected to my inclusion of Klay Thompson. Klay Thompson has textbook jump shooting form and shoots with great accuracy at high volume with his shots spread all over the floor. A belief that Klay could not be in the conversation is merely representative of an anti-recency bias that has no basis in reality.
Except your argument inherently assumes that the rules and enforcement are the same now as they were back then. Heck, "back in the day" there wasn't even a 3-point line.

The removal of the "hand check" is what opened up the shooters era.

I'm not going to start a fight, I just think that you may have a different viewpoint as most of your NBA viewing experience is likely in the last decade.

The ability to handcheck allows you to guard people much closer because you can push them and basically muffle first step drives to the hoop.

Tell you what, go pull up some you-tube of older era games and watch how people could push and pull on outside shooters. The reason Kerr was so successful was because he played on teams where you HAD to double team Jordan (or Duncan) or get mauled and they'd slip free for WIDE OPEN 3's.

It's just *different* which is why comparisons across eras are so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,351 posts, read 26,354,600 times
Reputation: 11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Larry Bird won 3 straight 3 point contest. I think he’s one of those natural shooters that would be even better in today’s NBA. Bird only attempted 1.9 3s per game, but in today’s NBA he might be putting up 6 or 7 per game at 40+%.
And Bird missed nearly half of his shots in those contests. I don't think 3 point competitions are a way to determine how great a shooter one is unless we're willing to consider Jason Kapono the GOAT shooter. He won two 3 point contests in a row knocking down 83% of his shots.

It's hard to say definitively who the best shooters "ever" are because the game has changed so much. But I'd say Curry, Nash and Price go on the list in that order since they were all good scorers in their primes and shot with very high efficiency. Curry and Nash are the only two players in ABA/NBA history that rank among the 10 best FT and 3P shooters by percentage. Curry is the only one in the Top 5 in both categories so he's clearly GOAT. Nash is the best FT shooter ever and really only ranks behind Curry and Korver in 3P shooting when accounting for volume of shots taken. Price, IMHO, is a level down from those two and then the last two spots are up for grabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,884,859 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Except your argument inherently assumes that the rules and enforcement are the same now as they were back then. Heck, "back in the day" there wasn't even a 3-point line.

The removal of the "hand check" is what opened up the shooters era.

I'm not going to start a fight, I just think that you may have a different viewpoint as most of your NBA viewing experience is likely in the last decade.

The ability to handcheck allows you to guard people much closer because you can push them and basically muffle first step drives to the hoop.

Tell you what, go pull up some you-tube of older era games and watch how people could push and pull on outside shooters. The reason Kerr was so successful was because he played on teams where you HAD to double team Jordan (or Duncan) or get mauled and they'd slip free for WIDE OPEN 3's.

It's just *different* which is why comparisons across eras are so hard.
My NBA viewing started in the late 80s, with a lull in the mid 2000s (~'03-06). Handcheck & illegal defense did change the set of skills that were valuable in the league. Shooting is much more valuable in a 3 seconds/no handcheck league than it used to be, and low post offense is much less valuable. Pure shooters (like Korver & Klay) are impact players now in a way that they just couldn't be in earlier eras.

Kerr also had the benefit of the shortened three point line for his best shooting years. Kerr was a great shooter (at relatively low volume), but he's not on the level of a player like Klay, whose volume from distance is unreal.

I am positing that shooting could be, at best, a secondary or tertiary skill in past eras. Today, shooting can be a player's primary skill and they can have successful NBA careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And Bird missed nearly half of his shots in those contests. I don't think 3 point competitions are a way to determine how great a shooter one is unless we're willing to consider Jason Kapono the GOAT shooter. He won two 3 point contests in a row knocking down 83% of his shots.

It's hard to say definitively who the best shooters "ever" are because the game has changed so much. But I'd say Curry, Nash and Price go on the list in that order since they were all good scorers in their primes and shot with very high efficiency. Curry and Nash are the only two players in ABA/NBA history that rank among the 10 best FT and 3P shooters by percentage. Curry is the only one in the Top 5 in both categories so he's clearly GOAT. Nash is the best FT shooter ever and really only ranks behind Curry and Korver in 3P shooting when accounting for volume of shots taken. Price, IMHO, is a level down from those two and then the last two spots are up for grabs.
It's Curry at #1 and not close. Curry's volume, range, quick release, and accuracy off of the dribble put him in a class by himself. I think Nash (especially) and Price are both good choices for top 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,351 posts, read 26,354,600 times
Reputation: 11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Kerr also had the benefit of the shortened three point line for his best shooting years. Kerr was a great shooter (at relatively low volume), but he's not on the level of a player like Klay, whose volume from distance is unreal.
Kerr also wasn't that great of a FT shooter. To my knowledge, the distance of the FT line has been the same throughout NBA history. It may seem a bit nitpicky to bring up FT%, but if we're talking about the greatest shooters ever then I believe it's a very relevant consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 10:53 AM
 
11,680 posts, read 7,082,093 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And Bird missed nearly half of his shots in those contests. I don't think 3 point competitions are a way to determine how great a shooter one is unless we're willing to consider Jason Kapono the GOAT shooter. He won two 3 point contests in a row knocking down 83% of his shots.

It's hard to say definitively who the best shooters "ever" are because the game has changed so much. But I'd say Curry, Nash and Price go on the list in that order since they were all good scorers in their primes and shot with very high efficiency. Curry and Nash are the only two players in ABA/NBA history that rank among the 10 best FT and 3P shooters by percentage. Curry is the only one in the Top 5 in both categories so he's clearly GOAT. Nash is the best FT shooter ever and really only ranks behind Curry and Korver in 3P shooting when accounting for volume of shots taken. Price, IMHO, is a level down from those two and then the last two spots are up for grabs.
Kapono was a great shooter but obviously not on the same planet as a Bird or Curry as a in-game scorer. The absolute best shooters may in fact be guys that aren’t star players, but functionally we typically consider the best shooters to be those that can put together decent-good accuracy with high volume in-game scoring....a Bird, Curry, Dirk, Allen, Durant, etc. 3 pt contest performance just further demonstrates the skills of a Curry or Bird...guys that will shoot well on any court and against any defenses in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,351 posts, read 26,354,600 times
Reputation: 11789
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Kapono was a great shooter but obviously not on the same planet as a Bird or Curry as a in-game scorer. The absolute best shooters may in fact be guys that aren’t star players, but functionally we typically consider the best shooters to be those that can put together decent-good accuracy with high volume in-game scoring....a Bird, Curry, Dirk, Allen, Durant, etc. 3 pt contest performance just further demonstrates the skills of a Curry or Bird...guys that will shoot well on any court and against any defenses in the world.
I see the gap between Curry and the field being pretty big. To shoot 45.4% from 3 on 50% shooting overall and shooting 90% from FT while winning a scoring title on 30+ PPG is insane. That's not even accounting for the length and difficulty of his shots, which he was often hitting from crazy distances in isolations. That's something we'll likely never see again. He is by far the most otherworldly shooter we've ever seen and I don't think it's close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 11:17 AM
 
11,680 posts, read 7,082,093 times
Reputation: 6387
Curry may be the best but he’s also sort of a perfect storm for today’s NBA. Son of arguably one of the best shooters ever, plays in an era where the 3 ball dominates and has a body type (slender, not super strong/quick/tall) that makes shooting from long range very appealing to work on. It will be interesting to see if similar players come along in the next 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM
 
52,155 posts, read 41,961,372 times
Reputation: 32553
I don't have any problem with someone putting Curry at the very top of the GOAT shooters list.

I'm just noting that not taking rule changes into consideration and ignoring players from past eras is problematic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top