U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-24-2018, 02:24 AM
 
Location: Slovakia
318 posts, read 136,235 times
Reputation: 825

Advertisements

Which team in current NBA has best defense, what do you think ? I like some Boston Celtics defensive plays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,420,399 times
Reputation: 11215
The top teams based on adjusted defensive rating (points allowed, adjusted for opponent strength) puts the top three as Celtics, Spurs and Sixers:
https://www.basketball-reference.com...18_ratings.htm

Overall, this year, I agree Boston is the best. For comparison, Cleveland is third-worst in the NBA. The Warriors are still top ten, but far from their #2 ranking last season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM
 
Location: OHIO
2,353 posts, read 1,079,898 times
Reputation: 5398
Not the Cavs


I'd say Celtics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 04:29 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,875,735 times
Reputation: 2263
I usually rely on eFG% defense as the best metric. Right now, it is:

1) Celtics
2) 76ers
3) Warriors
4) Raptors
5) Spurs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Western US
498 posts, read 142,089 times
Reputation: 203
I agree with you that Boston has the best defense in the NBA this year. This could be critical in the playoffs. I see either Boston or Toronto getting to the Finals this year. Cleveland's defense has been very bad this year. As a result, the Cavs probably won't make it out of the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2018, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Western US
498 posts, read 142,089 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The top teams based on adjusted defensive rating (points allowed, adjusted for opponent strength) puts the top three as Celtics, Spurs and Sixers:
https://www.basketball-reference.com...18_ratings.htm

Overall, this year, I agree Boston is the best. For comparison, Cleveland is third-worst in the NBA. The Warriors are still top ten, but far from their #2 ranking last season.
Yeah Boston's defense has been spectacular this year. Golden State's defense has definitely slipped somewhat this year. The Warriors have always been exposed whenever they don't take defense seriously enough. One of their biggest weaknesses is failing to grab defensive rebounds. This has been a huge issue for them in their last two games. That and also committing a lot of silly fouls on shots that have literally no chance at going in. Instead, a foul gets called in the Warriors, and their opponents get free throws. An example of this is when Shaun Livingston fouled Damian Lillard on a three-point attempt in the waning seconds of the third quarter. I couldn't help but yell at Livingston for committing such a silly foul. Not only was Lillard's shot way off, but he is also an 88% free throw shooter for his career. Because of that foul, Lillard made all three free throws. Those silly fouls were at least part of what led to their downfall in the game against Portland. Another thing was allowing the Blazers to grab too many offensive rebounds. The Warriors will really need to work on keeping opponents off the offensive glass and committing silly fouls. Otherwise, they could very well find themselves getting dethroned. Maybe the Celtics could dethrone them in a potential Finals match-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,875,735 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Yeah Boston's defense has been spectacular this year. Golden State's defense has definitely slipped somewhat this year. The Warriors have always been exposed whenever they don't take defense seriously enough. One of their biggest weaknesses is failing to grab defensive rebounds. This has been a huge issue for them in their last two games. That and also committing a lot of silly fouls on shots that have literally no chance at going in. Instead, a foul gets called in the Warriors, and their opponents get free throws. An example of this is when Shaun Livingston fouled Damian Lillard on a three-point attempt in the waning seconds of the third quarter. I couldn't help but yell at Livingston for committing such a silly foul. Not only was Lillard's shot way off, but he is also an 88% free throw shooter for his career. Because of that foul, Lillard made all three free throws. Those silly fouls were at least part of what led to their downfall in the game against Portland. Another thing was allowing the Blazers to grab too many offensive rebounds. The Warriors will really need to work on keeping opponents off the offensive glass and committing silly fouls. Otherwise, they could very well find themselves getting dethroned. Maybe the Celtics could dethrone them in a potential Finals match-up.
Boston's defense has been great because of length and effort. The Warriors' defense has slipped because of effort. When they lock-in, they still show that they can deliver. The Celtics won't make the Finals. If they did, it would be over in 5, whether they faced GSW or Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Western US
498 posts, read 142,089 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Boston's defense has been great because of length and effort. The Warriors' defense has slipped because of effort. When they lock-in, they still show that they can deliver. The Celtics won't make the Finals. If they did, it would be over in 5, whether they faced GSW or Houston.
Well you never know. You can't rule out the possibility of Boston getting to the Finals. Anything can happen in the NBA these days. The Celtics would give either the Warriors or the Rockets a fight for their money.

I'd say that either Boston or Toronto will win the East this year. Golden State will likely win the West, but don't count Houston out. They have proven to be a legitimate threat to the Warriors in the Western Conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,875,735 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Well you never know. You can't rule out the possibility of Boston getting to the Finals. Anything can happen in the NBA these days. The Celtics would give either the Warriors or the Rockets a fight for their money.

I'd say that either Boston or Toronto will win the East this year. Golden State will likely win the West, but don't count Houston out. They have proven to be a legitimate threat to the Warriors in the Western Conference.
I've got Cleveland/Toronto & GS/HOU--feeling a lot more confident about the West than the East. Looking at the East right now, my thinking is that the Cavs have the pieces to put together some deadly lineups for the playoffs. If they gel, then I think they are a real threat to Toronto. Right now, Toronto looks to me like the only championship-caliber squad in the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Western US
498 posts, read 142,089 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I've got Cleveland/Toronto & GS/HOU--feeling a lot more confident about the West than the East. Looking at the East right now, my thinking is that the Cavs have the pieces to put together some deadly lineups for the playoffs. If they gel, then I think they are a real threat to Toronto. Right now, Toronto looks to me like the only championship-caliber squad in the East.
The Western Conference hasn't been called the "Wild West" for nothing. It's been very powerful these last several years. The top four seeds in the West have always been capable of winning the championship these last seven years or so. I can definitely see a Warriors and Rockets match-up in the Western Conference Finals. My prediction is the Warriors win the series in six games.

The Cavs have a lot of new players on their roster. With the playoffs only about a month away, they only have so long to make sure they can build chemistry by then. Should they succeed, they will be a threat to the Raptors for sure. I'd say Raptors in seven games. Cleveland will not go down quietly as they still have LeBron James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top