U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times
Reputation: 11373

Advertisements

I heard this on the radio this morning - it was hilarious, but I think it's right on.

At first he directed this towards the Cavs - he called them Team Panty Party - because all they do is have these teen type squabbles about who did what to who, and Kevin is mad, and LeBron don't like such and such, and why did Isaiah have to come here. The radio guy did this whole bit using a teeny bopper voice as though the setting was at an overnight gathering of gossipy teen girls - too funny.

But you could really apply it to the whole league. Joel tweeted about Russell and now Russell is mad... Kevin broke is hand on purpose to get away from LeBron and Isaiah... Chris and Blake never got along, and both of them left DeAndre hanging after they promised to stay... and oooh did you hear, Chris' new friends got mad and wanted to fight Blake...

Then you have the whole All Star team where LeBron and Steph have to pick their players, and there will be that whole squabble about who got picked where, and how the will react to being together or apart...

It just seems to go on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times
Reputation: 7950
Another example is when LeBron threw a fit because Phil Jackson referred to Lebron's associates as a 'posse.'


This is true for all of the major sports. They are 90% a bunch of spoiled, pampered pets in pajamas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I heard this on the radio this morning - it was hilarious, but I think it's right on.

At first he directed this towards the Cavs - he called them Team Panty Party - because all they do is have these teen type squabbles about who did what to who, and Kevin is mad, and LeBron don't like such and such, and why did Isaiah have to come here. The radio guy did this whole bit using a teeny bopper voice as though the setting was at an overnight gathering of gossipy teen girls - too funny.

But you could really apply it to the whole league. Joel tweeted about Russell and now Russell is mad... Kevin broke is hand on purpose to get away from LeBron and Isaiah... Chris and Blake never got along, and both of them left DeAndre hanging after they promised to stay... and oooh did you hear, Chris' new friends got mad and wanted to fight Blake...

Then you have the whole All Star team where LeBron and Steph have to pick their players, and there will be that whole squabble about who got picked where, and how the will react to being together or apart...

It just seems to go on and on...
Misogyny noted

Maybe it's teen girls who should be compared to professional athletes

Older brother overhearing his younger sister and friends: jeez...its sounds like an NBA locker room in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times
Reputation: 11373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Misogyny noted
Because they are compared to gossipy teen girls? Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 07:36 AM
 
51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Misogyny noted

Maybe it's teen girls who should be compared to professional athletes

Older brother overhearing his younger sister and friends: jeez...its sounds like an NBA locker room in there.
As someone that helped raise several teenage girls and boys, the back-biting, cyber-bulling type crap is wayyy more prevalent amongst the girls than the guys. Guys have their own set of issues if you were to look at things like graduation and expulsion rates by gender.

It's not misogyny, it's just a prevalent negative characteristic of teenage girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times
Reputation: 11373
More...

This article goes through the various squabbles among the players and wonders if it's good for ratings.

The NBA is mad as hell ... and fans just want to consume it more

But what are NBA players so mad about, exactly? Officiating? Sure, it’s bad. But it’s always been that way. There’s nothing new there. Pay? It’s hard to gripe much there when most 12th men make over a million a year while superstars have seen their future annual salaries break $40m. Shoe deals? Many top players now make as much or even more from their shoe company than they do their actual employer. Maybe NBA players are just angry because, well, everyone else is angry and they’re humans, too, albeit very large ones. The whole world is mad right now and capturing the cultural zeitgeist of 2018 requires being angry. We can’t relate to someone jumping two-feet above the rim, but someone who is pissed about every little thing? Yeah, that registers.

The anger-infused on-court product is outstanding right now. So if finding and inventing slights helps players motivate themselves to perform at peak level every game of the 82-game schedule, sign us all up for it. We just want to be entertained. And an NBA stocked full of angry Russell Westbrooks sounds perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As someone that helped raise several teenage girls and boys, the back-biting, cyber-bulling type crap is wayyy more prevalent amongst the girls than the guys.
Ok, Mathguy, how many teenage girls and boys did you help raise?
Do you consider that a meaningful sample?
How are you accounting for any personal bias?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 AM
 
51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Reputation: 32364
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Ok, Mathguy, how many teenage girls and boys did you help raise?
Do you consider that a meaningful sample?
How are you accounting for any personal bias?
All of your questions assume that I based my entire point around just those observations which is a flawed hypothesis.

So, just for starters since I'm old enough to have had teenagers my data pool of experience would include my own experiences, that of my classmates, various friends and relatives as well as their offspring and so forth.

This leads me to point out that it's typically pretty common knowledge that *IN GENERAL* the girls will use various emotional weaponry while guys are more likely to fight (and thus be suspended, expelled etc.)

Here is a website:

https://nobullying.com/is-cyber-bull...on-with-girls/

Quote:
According to dosomething.org girls are almost twice as likely as boys to be both victims and perpetrators of cyber bullying. There are many reasons behind this, most of them due to the innate differences between boys and girls. Girl bullying often differs from that of boys because girls in general have different ways of interacting with one another. Boys tend to be more aggressive than girls and are often more involved in physical bullying. In general, boys tend to bully in physical ways while girls use emotional tactics.
If you have a differing opinion then so be it. This is the last I will contribute to this thread which has veered away from NBA related issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 03:14 PM
 
8,018 posts, read 6,596,070 times
Reputation: 12048
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Another example is when LeBron threw a fit because Phil Jackson referred to Lebron's associates as a 'posse.'


This is true for all of the major sports. They are 90% a bunch of spoiled, pampered pets in pajamas.
And yet you watch.

Have you or the e-alpha OP actually used your heads to stop and think that these issues are minor and it's the media that blows them up for drama and ratings?

When you have 24 hour sports networks, networks dedicated to individual sports leagues and college conferences and websites that are solely devoted to sports. They hype up this nonsense to justify their existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,442 posts, read 15,421,970 times
Reputation: 11373
Well I watch the basketball, but I try not to pay attention to the periphery stuff.

Social media also propagates these squabbles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top