U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 PM

52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think LeBron's biggest motivator will be getting 3 more rings to equal Jordan. LeBron turns 34 in Dec 2018. The Lakers don't have enough of a foundation for a super-team, and Lebron doesn't have time to sit around and wait for them to build one.
IMO Lebron has nothing left to prove.

At his age, he's one wrong landing from sharp decline.
Anyone that follows the league for years knows this is true at that age.

Even without notable injury, it's coming.

Who knows what is goals or motivation are, imo he's on my starting 5 all-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:15 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,517,010 times
That may or may not happen. If you believe Kobe had nothing to prove when their downfall started in 2011 (57-25, swept by Dallas in 2nd round), you're crazy. Of course he wanted 6.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:24 PM

4,223 posts, read 2,857,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
That may or may not happen. If you believe Kobe had nothing to prove when their downfall started in 2011 (57-25, swept by Dallas in 2nd round), you're crazy. Of course he wanted 6.
Lebron still has a lot to prove, and who can blame him? After 15 years, there are still people who question if he's a winner. There has never been a GOAT treated as disrespectfully as Lebron....

I've been saying it at least three years, and I maintain it: fans/basketball media will appreciate Lebron a lot more once he's gone...

To my first point, he wants to prove he can still win. I think the lack of team success, and the likely fact that he won't make The Finals this year, will be great for him as his career winds down. He isn't undisputably the best player in the world anymore, but he's still in the conversation, and this version of Lebron is still too good to not win another title. I see at least one more for him, I believe that 100%, and won't be surprised to see multiple more rings. While I hope there's enough incentive to stay in Cleveland, if there isnt, the no-brainer is to go to Philadelphia and be the veteran star on a team that could dominate the league for a half-decade...

Old 03-11-2018, 07:47 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,311,001 times
Maybe the best option for LeBron might be to stay in Cleveland and one or more free agents to join him, to make yet another super team. There are quite a few star free agents, w/ Paul George IMO at the top of the list. Plus Cleveland has the lottery pick that they got from the Celtics in the Irving trade.

Every option other than this seems problematic if LeBron wants to win another title.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,076,431 times
I wonder if retirement is on the table for Lebron. It would be crazy if he just surprises folks by saying he will be 34 and he’s done. Going out on top instead of chasing another ring might be better legacy and health wise. Like Jordan’s first two retirements, people will wonder how much longer he could’ve been the best. He has been lucky so far with injuries.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:11 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,289,363 times
For the record most Lakers fans DON'T want LeBron. Sports radio here has been talking about this a lot over the last couple of weeks. The overwhelming response has been negative. If fact, Mason and Ireland on ESPN LA radio had an entire segment trying to figure out why LeBron to LA was so unpopular with the bulk of fans in Los Angeles. Yes, some high powered LA lawyer paid for some billboards. But he doesn't represent most Lakers fans.

Personally, I want no parts of LeBron. When LeBron is on your team he IS the system. He holds the ball and dictates everything on the floor. For a young team that's used to playing team oriented ball that's not a good thing. Why have Walton spend two years building a shared team identity only to have it dashed by LeBron. Also LeBron brings a lot of drama. We have enough of that with Lavar Ball.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:30 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,517,010 times
It's kind of sad that they go to LA for 2 games, and 90% of the stories are "omg lebron u signing 2 lakerz in the summer?" He's just like, "****." Lol.

Quote:
He holds the ball and dictates everything on the floor.
He's also one of the greatest passers of all time, and gets his teammates involved *a lot*. If you're on his team, you better be able to knock down a 3.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 PM

4,302 posts, read 1,868,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
He's also one of the greatest passers of all time, and gets his teammates involved *a lot*. If you're on his team, you better be able to knock down a 3.
I think that is the problem. Lakers don't have any of those players. If Lebron came to LA it would have to be a completely different roster next year. Ball would be completely worthless. I love Randle and maybe he could mesh with Lebron. But he's not going to be a threat from 3.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:20 PM

1,600 posts, read 833,536 times
Lebron while still dominant is past his prime where you could expect him to turn a sub-playoff team into a championship contender-- most especially a West team. Now is time best spent in development to contend in the 2020s, not halt progress to build around Lebron's twilight years. If the hypothetical Laker Lebron can eke out #17, I'll be happy, but only in the short term.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:39 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,076,431 times
Building around a 34 yr old Lebron almost seems like the Laker rebuild with Kobe, Nash, Dwight. In hindsight, at best, that trio had maybe 1 good season in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or