U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,592,566 times

Advertisements

From a competitive standpoint. What changed was that the GM's use to make all of the big moves and trades. Now players are doing the same thing behind the scenes. For example, the Boston big three (Pierce, Allen & Garnett). The GM was smart enough to put those pieces together.

Now with the AAU mentality all the players around the country play against each other and know each other very well. So since the players know each other well and have played together before they want to do it again, but none of them were bold enough to make that move until Lebron did it.

Once he teamed up with Wade and Bosh then it became a popular thing to do. Durant would have never went to GS if Lebron did not make that move to go to Miami. All of sudden it became about rings. Win a ring at all cost and all will be forgotten. There are plenty of NBA hall of famers that never won a ring.

Sure ratings are up this year cause people like to see superteams but that win at all cost mentality will be the downfall of the NBA.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:12 AM

5,437 posts, read 1,548,736 times
It also reduces the profile of role players, because if you only have one superstar per team then the role players would get a lot more attention than they would on a team with 4 all-stars....

Old 02-15-2018, 10:27 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,835,064 times
Something does have to be done to restore a level of natural competitiveness in The League, but I'm not sure how they go about doing that. Historically, parity doesn't work in the NBA. It's always been about Super Teams, from the outset, but the difference is the players have too much authority. I don't necessarily mind the Super Team part, but Silver has to reign in the ease with which the players can make these moves. Not necessarily eradicate it, but find a way to make it so that it's so rare that it isn't commonplace...

The downfall of The League would only be if Lebron or George went to a conference finalist this year...

Here's what anti-Lebron's conveniently forget: the year before he went to Miami, 2009-10, that team was a 5-seed, 1st Rd playoff exit team, that lost in 5 to a 4-seed that was only three games better than it in the standings. There was nobody on that team besides Wade---Wade---that was not a great team. In the four years since winning the '06 championship, the Heat were first-round exits all three times they made the playoffs, and we're only a year removed from a 15-win season. People like to say Lebron stacked the deck, my response is, how? That Heat team was going nowhere fast, and he instantly made them championship contenders. And guys hate being honest about this, but had he gone anywhere, he'd have had the same effect...

The truth is we give team builders a greater pass for stacking the deck. In the four years before the Celtics '08 title, the Celtics missed the playoffs three times, were a first round exit the one year they made it, were a year removed from a 24-win season, and BOOM!--next year 66-wins and a trophy. But it's okay because management did it, instead of the players taking in upon themselves?

Closer to the truth is the culture if the NBA began to change with the assemblage of that Boston team, who had a (at the time) Top 10 point guard, and you add a Top 6 player and Top 15 player to another Top 10 player who was already there. That is what planted the seeds of the modern Super Team--let me go out and grab a couple other Top 15 guys to add to my Top 15 guy. The Celtics had a 42-win swing in one season because the NBA at the time wasn't ready for it...

People also conveniently forget that Lebron tried to get Bosh to commit to Cleveland, he wouldn't, so they both said we'll do Miami. Would you view this differwntly if Bosh and Wade went to Cleveland and they won two rings there instead? How would it be different?

Old 02-15-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
It also reduces the profile of role players, because if you only have one superstar per team then the role players would get a lot more attention than they would on a team with 4 all-stars....
Good point. Never though about that.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Something does have to be done to restore a level of natural competitiveness in The League, but I'm not sure how they go about doing that. Historically, parity doesn't work in the NBA. It's always been about Super Teams, from the outset, but the difference is the players have too much authority. I don't necessarily mind the Super Team part, but Silver has to reign in the ease with which the players can make these moves. Not necessarily eradicate it, but find a way to make it so that it's so rare that it isn't commonplace...

The downfall of The League would only be if Lebron or George went to a conference finalist this year...

Here's what anti-Lebron's conveniently forget: the year before he went to Miami, 2009-10, that team was a 5-seed, 1st Rd playoff exit team, that lost in 5 to a 4-seed that was only three games better than it in the standings. There was nobody on that team besides Wade---Wade---that was not a great team. In the four years since winning the '06 championship, the Heat were first-round exits all three times they made the playoffs, and we're only a year removed from a 15-win season. People like to say Lebron stacked the deck, my response is, how? That Heat team was going nowhere fast, and he instantly made them championship contenders. And guys hate being honest about this, but had he gone anywhere, he'd have had the same effect...

The truth is we give team builders a greater pass for stacking the deck. In the four years before the Celtics '08 title, the Celtics missed the playoffs three times, were a first round exit the one year they made it, were a year removed from a 24-win season, and BOOM!--next year 66-wins and a trophy. But it's okay because management did it, instead of the players taking in upon themselves?

Closer to the truth is the culture if the NBA began to change with the assemblage of that Boston team, who had a (at the time) Top 10 point guard, and you add a Top 6 player and Top 15 player to another Top 10 player who was already there. That is what planted the seeds of the modern Super Team--let me go out and grab a couple other Top 15 guys to add to my Top 15 guy. The Celtics had a 42-win swing in one season because the NBA at the time wasn't ready for it...

People also conveniently forget that Lebron tried to get Bosh to commit to Cleveland, he wouldn't, so they both said we'll do Miami. Would you view this differwntly if Bosh and Wade went to Cleveland and they won two rings there instead? How would it be different?
When you add two other teams leading scorers to the Heat then it becomes a totally different team. Thats how he (him and Bosh) stacked the deck.

We give team builders a pass because that is what they are supposed to do, that is their job.

The Boston big three were older players and Rondo wasnt a very known player yet thats why people consider it different from Miami, plus they were traded to the Celitics.

If Wade and Bosh went to Cleveland instead of Miami, I would think the same. Your taking 2 teams top scorers to a different team.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,279 times
I wonder if some of this is linked to money. Both contract money and sponsorship money. The money, even accounting for inflation seems to be a lot more today than it was in the 80's and 90's. These guys are set for life 10 times over and can afford to take a little less to play with multiple great players.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 PM

7,231 posts, read 8,240,550 times
While superstars teaming up with other superstars hasn't been good overall for the league, I think the constant stream of one-and-dones has hurt the league as well. This past draft and this upcoming draft had a majority of college freshmen in the top 15. There's no way all of them will be stars, some of these kids will be wishing they had stayed an extra year in college to better develop themselves instead of ending up on one of those biggest NBA draft busts ever lists.

I guess I can't really blame the next crop of superstars for teaming up to create a Heat/Warriors type of team, whoever and whenever that will be. If you are a future NBA superstar reading this and your supporting cast is a group of former college freshmen who still in year 4 are making rookie mistakes like double-dribbling on the fast break or fouling a 3 point shooter in a close game with little time left, well I can't blame you.

I think in the next couple of years when LeBron either retires or is nowhere near the player he is now, and the likes of Westbrook/Curry/Durant are out of their primes, we might be seeing something of a talent crisis in the NBA. As in the talent is lacking and what is there is not very compelling to watch. For every 'Greek Freak' or Porzingis, there will be about 10-15 Ben McLemore, Anthony Bennett or Nerlens Noel types. Outright busts or players who were thought to be future stars but could not live up to the hype.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,280,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I wonder if some of this is linked to money. Both contract money and sponsorship money. The money, even accounting for inflation seems to be a lot more today than it was in the 80's and 90's. These guys are set for life 10 times over and can afford to take a little less to play with multiple great players.
This was where Durant was smart. I'd guess he'll way more than make up the money he left on the table from endorsements etc. driven by his titles.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:20 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,280,441 times
I've heard talk of LeBron going to Houston next year. Houston would have to dump a lot of salary. LeBron's history is of never leaving money on the table, but of course that could change.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:29 AM

5,437 posts, read 1,548,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This was where Durant was smart. I'd guess he'll way more than make up the money he left on the table from endorsements etc. driven by his titles.
Also no matter what people say about Durant "choosing the easy way" to win titles, he's got a decent chance of winning 3 or maybe even 4 Finals MVPs, so "choosing the easy way" would definitely be worth it legacy-wise.
Curry has struggled in the NBA Finals (Kyrie Irving averaged more PPG, FG% and 3PT% than Curry in 2016 and 2017 NBA Finals), so I like Durant's chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or