U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:58 AM

929 posts, read 296,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Well the kids are having college paid for and at some of those schools, that's quite a big of money. For the more talented ones, this is a showcase for their NBA draft.

They can try to hide it all they want but they will get caught. It doesn't have to come down to intercepting e-mails or text messages. When a kid and/or his family are suddenly driving new cars, buy a new house, etc., that's suspect right there.
Yes, but it's been going on for god knows how long, and nobody cared. Not the NCAA, not the schools, not the fans, not many of the on-air talking heads. It is ridiculous it took FBI involvement, much as it took US Congressional intervention to try and mitigate a lot of the steroid crap in Major League Baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Well the kids are having college paid for and at some of those schools, that's quite a big of money. For the more talented ones, this is a showcase for their NBA draft.

They can try to hide it all they want but they will get caught. It doesn't have to come down to intercepting e-mails or text messages. When a kid and/or his family are suddenly driving new cars, buy a new house, etc., that's suspect right there.
I use to be on the same page in terms of athletes getting free education, room and board as their "payment" but honestly, they bring in BILLIONS of dollars to the NCAA and the school they choose. They are not normal students in that regard. I'm now leaning towards paying them something. I'm not sure how the system would work, how much but the dirty money won't stop unless some drastic measure like this is done. Also, make it easier for a player to go pro after high school. No sense in a kid going to college just because the NCAA wants their cut of the star power. They're pimping these kids harder than any agent ever has in that regard.

I honestly don't think the NCAA will do anything to the majority of the schools unless a current player took money WHILE attending college. Many took money to steer them to a school but not necessarily while at the school. Not sure the NCAA has a leg to stand on in terms of sanctions on a school where a player went a year after he was paid while in high school.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,333 times
There are a lot of question marks surrounding the Sean Miller story. Mark Schlabach has disappeared from Twitter the past 24 hours, his source seems to be one of the defendants(?), he didn't hear the tape himself, ESPN has multiple times corrected the timeline of the story, which is full of holes, and no other network has independently confirmed the story. Miller hasn't been fired or even suspended. I have no idea what the truth is, other than ESPN's suspect journalism. ESPN even said Miller had been let go during the Oregon game, a complete lie! The timing of the story is also curious, the same day the Yahoo story broke, and one day before a big nationally televised Arizona game on (you guessed it) ESPN.

Obviously big-time players are making money, but I'm going to hold off on believing this $100k story until there are some actual facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The whole system is rotten, and why those who crow about the college game being more “pure” are full of it. Everyone is making millions off these kids while they get suspended if they’re given so much as a free sandwich.
Miles Bridges donated $40 to make up for a free meal his parents got last year (that he was unaware of) so that he's eligible to play. I'm guessing (but don't know) he doesn't come from wealth. I can't believe how petty the NCAA is. They make billions of dollars and cry if one of their most lucrative players (or his parents!) gets a free tic tac. I'm really not interested in watching college sports anymore.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM

929 posts, read 296,139 times
So if ESPN's reports are erroneous, then why would Miller choose to not coach that same evening at Oregon?

Old 02-27-2018, 02:47 PM

He probably had 50 of his bosses calling him non-stop telling him to get on a plane and explain the situation. If it isn't erroneous, why has ESPN gone radio silent on this *huge* issue the past 2 days? When they reported on deflategate, they talked about it nonstop for weeks. Why was Schlabach (the reporter of the story) active on Twitter all weekend long, but his Twitter looks like a funeral home now? They originally said the tape was from 2017, when Deandre Ayton was already on campus taking summer classes. They corrected it (twice) after a thousand people called his bluff on Twitter, now saying 2016, which was before the FBI wiretaps supposedly began. If they had him on tape from 2016, why in God's name did they arrest Book instead of Miller?

Like I said, everyone knows the top players get paid. Shaq and Barkley got paid, they've said so much themselves. I'm sure MJ got paid. Ayton isn't quite in their league, so I don't know if he's getting paid, but I'm going to refrain from making judgment until the facts come out, other than that ESPN is too powerful and it's scary.

I guess it'll be interesting to see what happens this week. UA plays again on Thursday, but the rest of their regular season is at home, so there's a fair chance Miller continues coaching.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:51 PM

32,436 posts, read 26,292,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
So if ESPN's reports are erroneous, then why would Miller choose to not coach that same evening at Oregon?
it probably wasnt millers decision but rather the AD or one of the regents or the university president that made the decision

Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,151,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I use to be on the same page in terms of athletes getting free education, room and board as their "payment" but honestly, they bring in BILLIONS of dollars to the NCAA and the school they choose. They are not normal students in that regard. I'm now leaning towards paying them something. I'm not sure how the system would work, how much but the dirty money won't stop unless some drastic measure like this is done. Also, make it easier for a player to go pro after high school. No sense in a kid going to college just because the NCAA wants their cut of the star power. They're pimping these kids harder than any agent ever has in that regard.

I honestly don't think the NCAA will do anything to the majority of the schools unless a current player took money WHILE attending college. Many took money to steer them to a school but not necessarily while at the school. Not sure the NCAA has a leg to stand on in terms of sanctions on a school where a player went a year after he was paid while in high school.
One possible solution is to have a sort of baseball-type situation where HS players can decide if they want to go to college or pro. If they choose college, it must be for at least three years. If they go pro, then they would have to agree to be on a developmental league team for at least a year so that they aren’t “thrown to the wolves” immediately.

Paying college players is a catch-22, since athletes in sports other than MBB and FB will also demand salaries. Most athletic departments don’t have swimming pools of cash lying around.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:21 PM

They can complain about it, but the only hugely profitable sports are MBB and FB anyway. Or they could just let the kids make money on the side all they want. E.g., not cry when Ohio State football players sell their signed jerseys. Obviously there are logistics to figure out, but the way NCAA is currently, they just come off as petty and insecure.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
I believe the Miller story personally. I've been in tune with that entire family since the 90's when his brother played at NC State (Archie). Talk about some egomaniacs. That entire family thinks very highly of themselves and I could very easily see a "win at all costs" mantra being adopted, certainly if paying players is as common as most of us think it is. There's just too much smoke with that one to not have some fire in it.

Ayton is a top talent and will likely be a top 3 pick this year, potentially #1. So to the brand that is Arizona basketball that $100k 'investment' would easily be worth it.

I agree that if you paid MBB and FB players you'd likely have to figure out a stipend for other sports as well even though they are not revenue generating and basically operate as an expense to the university. You could even see some schools move away from scholarship sports to save from paying those athletes, which wouldn't be good either.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM

17,241 posts, read 10,169,578 times
lol how many times are they going to have this hand wringing nonsense about how corrupt elite programs are. Collegiate athletics has always been corrupt, every few years yet another 'scandal' involving some coaches, some schools, etc. Then the predictable outrage and grandstanding from pundits. Punishment handed down and a vow to crack down.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball