U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,517,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I've been in tune with that entire family since the 90's when his brother played at NC State (Archie).

Ayton is a top talent and will likely be a top 3 pick this year, potentially #1. So to the brand that is Arizona basketball that $100k 'investment' would easily be worth it.
I agree he's top talent. But it's hard to put him into context with Shaq or other big men. We'll have to wait and see. I'm sure he's getting paid something.

What exactly does "in tune" mean? You've followed the family through ESPN, or you know them personally? Do you believe everything about the ESPN story in spite of their reporting having more holes than a block of swiss cheese?

By the way, anyone who makes it this far in billion-dollar sports has a huge ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:36 PM

32,546 posts, read 26,465,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I agree he's top talent. But it's hard to put him into context with Shaq or other big men. We'll have to wait and see. I'm sure he's getting paid something.
according to the family, no one has received any money from the school or any other source.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

929 posts, read 299,013 times
It still sounds, if we are going to put our faith in non-ESPN media sources, that Miller and Arizona are still about to part ways. But there are things which raise an eyebrow or two when it comes to ESPN's report (surprise, surprise). The recording never was heard first hand; just a source of a source kind of thing. The portion retracted already has to do with the timeline. 2017 now has become 2016 when this alleged conversation took place. Ayton already committed to Arizona before 2016 ended.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,632,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
lol how many times are they going to have this hand wringing nonsense about how corrupt elite programs are. Collegiate athletics has always been corrupt, every few years yet another 'scandal' involving some coaches, some schools, etc. Then the predictable outrage and grandstanding from pundits. Punishment handed down and a vow to crack down.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
The problem has been the NCAA goes after the schools, not the dirty coaches. If they went after coaches, Coach Cal would literally never be allowed in a college gym again. The NCAA punishes the kids left behind in the wake of a crappy coach but nothing for the person directing it. Only the FBI getting involved and arresting coaches will any of those people notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post

What exactly does "in tune" mean? You've followed the family through ESPN, or you know them personally? Do you believe everything about the ESPN story in spite of their reporting having more holes than a block of swiss cheese?

By the way, anyone who makes it this far in billion-dollar sports has a huge ego.
LOL, I don't even have ESPN bookmarked. That political trash isn't where I get my sports information, that's for sure. I went to State at the same time as Archie so there's plenty of known history about that entire family. So the ego thing and being 'in tune' has literally nothing to do with ESPN or what you're going to find on the internet.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM

929 posts, read 299,013 times
So now almost a week later we have Miller in full denial mode. At present neither Zona's AD or President is backing him up.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:01 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,517,397 times
According to ESPN (if you can believe them), Arizona is backing Miller and he will be coaching tonight. Schlabach still hasn't tweeted anything since the weekend. Very strange.

ESPN is getting ripped in the comments by Arizona fans. "Of course "ESPN stands by its reporting on Miller and the FBI investigation". It's pretty easy when they can just edit their stories... again... and again." Lol.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:12 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,632,457 times
I thought this part of the newest story up on Miller was the most interesting...

"Let me be very, very clear: I have never discussed with Christian Dawkins paying Deandre Ayton to attend the University of Arizona," Miller said. "In fact, I never even met or spoke to Christian Dawkins until after Deandre publicly announced that he was coming to our school. Any reporting to the contrary is inaccurate, false and defamatory."

Words matter. He was very selective in how he phrased this. He's not denying having talks with Dawkins he's more disputing the timeline of events. So, even if the wiretrap is totally accurate, it feels like he's leveraging the timeline being wrong part of the story to post some sort of denial right now.

I guess in time we'll all know the truth hopefully.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM

32,546 posts, read 26,465,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
So now almost a week later we have Miller in full denial mode. At present neither Zona's AD or President is backing him up.
arizona is still employing miller, so that by rote means they are still backing him, for now. it depends on the results of the FBI investigation, and arizonas own internal investigation, both of which miller himself supports because he believes he will be vindicated in the end.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:45 PM

5,326 posts, read 3,351,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I think they (Robbins and Heeke) might be backing him up.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:58 PM

5,326 posts, read 3,351,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Words matter. He was very selective in how he phrased this. He's not denying having talks with Dawkins he's more disputing the timeline of events. So, even if the wiretrap is totally accurate, it feels like he's leveraging the timeline being wrong part of the story to post some sort of denial right now.
Or maybe Dawkins was actually talking about Brian Bowen with Miller, asking him for $100,000, since Bowen did sign with Louisville on June 3rd, 2017, after his parents supposedly received $100,000.

Maybe Dawkins asked Miller and Miller said no to the request, end of story?

Will we ever know for sure what really happened, maybe, maybe not, the FBI is not required to release all of the wire tape recordings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball