U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 PM

5,315 posts, read 3,344,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are assuming the miller and or ayton did something wrong here. the ayton family says through their lawyer that no one received any money from the university, or anyone else for that matter. and miller is claiming that he did nothing wrong, and the board of regents so far agrees with him. espns reporting is rubbish at this point.
Actually, I'm a UofA alum and wish the team the best, but my vacate theory has nothing to do with Ayton and Miller and ESPN for that matter, and has everything to do with Book and Miller and it could be a year or more before we know what happened there.

There was talk back in September when Richardson was arrested that he mentioned while accepting the $20,000 in 2017 (presumable to pay Quinerly's family), that he, or someone with the team had previously given money to a player's family and most people thought or assumed it was Rawle and his family. So if does come out that Rawle's parents did receive money from Book or from some other coach on the team, all of the wins Rawle was a part of, will be vacated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:46 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,630,994 times
Quote:
you are assuming the miller and or ayton did something wrong here. the ayton family says through their lawyer that no one received any money from the university, or anyone else for that matter. and miller is claiming that he did nothing wrong, and the board of regents so far agrees with him. espns reporting is rubbish at this point.
We'll see in time what's true or not. I wouldn't call the report rubbish yet as everyone is standing firm in their position. Obviously there's a lot of money floating around per the Yahoo reports so this wouldn't totally be something out of nowhere. Of course Miller has an easy choice of either deny deny deny or accept his fate and never coach again, easy choice.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:22 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,516,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Actually, I'm a UofA alum and wish the team the best, but my vacate theory has nothing to do with Ayton and Miller and ESPN for that matter, and has everything to do with Book and Miller and it could be a year or more before we know what happened there.

There was talk back in September when Richardson was arrested that he mentioned while accepting the $20,000 in 2017 (presumable to pay Quinerly's family), that he, or someone with the team had previously given money to a player's family and most people thought or assumed it was Rawle and his family. So if does come out that Rawle's parents did receive money from Book or from some other coach on the team, all of the wins Rawle was a part of, will be vacated.
And Pitino was right. Anyone who follows the sport knows they won it all. You can't take that away from them. Take down a banner, who cares. If Arizona wins it all this year, everyone will remember it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
We'll see in time what's true or not. I wouldn't call the report rubbish yet as everyone is standing firm in their position. Obviously there's a lot of money floating around per the Yahoo reports so this wouldn't totally be something out of nowhere. Of course Miller has an easy choice of either deny deny deny or accept his fate and never coach again, easy choice.
You mean if the allegations are true. ESPN's reporting is garbage, everyone knows this. Even some personalities on ESPN aren't supporting the story. Sounds like you really want this to be true.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 AM

32,533 posts, read 26,441,243 times
Quote:
espn first reported that the tapes indicated that the calls were in 2017 about ayton, even though ayton signed up to go to the UA in 2016. then espn changed their reporting of the issue. but as fara as i know the FBI has not released any of the tapes for public consumption, so either espns source is someone breaking the law in the FBi, or they are making things up/lying for what ever reason. and since i seriously doubt that espn has properly vetted the claims, then at this point their reporting is garbage.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,630,994 times
Quote:
espn first reported that the tapes indicated that the calls were in 2017 about ayton, even though ayton signed up to go to the UA in 2016. then espn changed their reporting of the issue. but as fara as i know the FBI has not released any of the tapes for public consumption, so either espns source is someone breaking the law in the FBi, or they are making things up/lying for what ever reason. and since i seriously doubt that espn has properly vetted the claims, then at this point their reporting is garbage.
That'd be soooo unlike the FBI to do anything like that. lol

But seriously, Arizona has already fired one assistant basketball coach for bribery so what are the chances the story is really that far off? An assistant isn't doing this sort of thing without the knowledge/direction of the head coach. I imagine zero people would be surprised if that tape showed up tomorrow and was 100% accurate. Only those most die hard UofA fans would be surprised, no one else that follows college bball closely would be.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
That'd be soooo unlike the FBI to do anything like that. lol

But seriously, Arizona has already fired one assistant basketball coach for bribery so what are the chances the story is really that far off? An assistant isn't doing this sort of thing without the knowledge/direction of the head coach. I imagine zero people would be surprised if that tape showed up tomorrow and was 100% accurate. Only those most die hard UofA fans would be surprised, no one else that follows college bball closely would be.
the assistant admitted to the crime. now it is possible that miller knew about it, but at this point i will give him the benefit of the doubt until that recording does come to light, and is proven to be genuine. until that happens, i suspect that someone is gas lighting miller for what ever reason.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:17 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,516,175 times
A head coach of an elite program would have to be incredibly stupid to have that direct of a conversation over the phone. You've obviously made up your mind that he's guilty, irrespective of the facts.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:02 PM

I have a weird feeling (and I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong) that the University of Arizona and Coach Miller might mutually agree to go their separate ways. I'm not saying when this could happen, maybe after this season, maybe after next season, but it seems like Sean is skating on thin ice and depending on the Book Richardson trial outcome it might be in everyone's best interest to go their separate ways.

It will be interesting to see what Book does, if he says Miller was involved in the whole thing or does he literally "take one for the team" and says he went rouge all by himself. It could become one of those classic "he said he said" situations, but if Book doesn't want to go to jail for a few years, I can see the gloves coming off.

Not that this isn't the biggest issue, but issue 1A for Miller and Arizona, is getting recruits, no recruit wants to touch Arizona with a ten foot pole, and this was before the whole ESPN article 10 days ago, since both of their recruits Williams and O'Neal only signed scholarship papers and not full binding agreements. I'm not saying Miller has given up on recruiting and will just let the next coach deal with it, when and if he leaves after this season. But I think they will have at least 6 or 7 available scholarships next season, he better start to scour Europe and the Jucos hard.

I honestly can't see next year's team doing better than 10-8 in the Pac-12 conference (I hope I'm wrong), they are losing their starting 5 and who knows who else will jump ship, and they most likely won't be getting 5-star recruits for a long time to come.

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-04-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I honestly can't see next year's team doing better than 10-8 in the Pac-12 conference (I hope I'm wrong), they are losing their starting 5 and who knows who else will jump ship, and they most likely won't be getting 5-star recruits for a long time to come.
dont be so sure. while oneil has jumped ship to the bruins, williams still might sign with arizona. and here are four others than arizona just might pick up as well;

Recruiting: These players could join the Arizona Wildcats' 2018 class | Arizona Wildcats basketball | tucson.com

miller is a lot like lute olsen, he might lose a lot of players, but every season he just reloads, he doesnt rebuild. and dont forget there are a number of very good players on the bench right now behind the top six players. the 2018 season is not here yet, and miller does get the job done.

i doubt that he will be leaving arizona anytime soon. if arizona fires him without cause he still walks away with five million, and firing for cause gets him ten million. in the end i think miller survives this issue, and arizona may have to serve an NCAA penalty of some sort, we shall see.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
dont be so sure. while oneil has jumped ship to the bruins, williams still might sign with arizona. and here are four others than arizona just might pick up as well;
I do think Williams truly wants to be a Wildcat, but these issues surrounding Book/FBI/Miller/NCAA are not going to be resolved in a timely manner. You know how the NCAA operates, it takes forever for their investigations to be completed, just look at the whole UNC/fake classes thing and how long that took (3 or 4 years?).

Maybe if Williams was a junior instead of a senior, it might have all been resolved in 12+ months from now, but with the new school year starting in what, 6 months or so, I think in 2, 3, 4 months from now, nothing is going to change, maybe I'll be wrong, but with the uncertainty of whether Arizona will go on probation or not and have a post-season ban, he'll probably sign with another team.

I guess we'll find out how well Randolph, Lee, Akot, Barcello, Jeter, Smith can play together (if they all stay), when Ristic, PJC, Trier, Ayton, Alkins all leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball