U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 05:56 PM

929 posts, read 300,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Who thought it was a good idea to have Wichita host games? Apart from the Kansas game, the arena has been almost empty.
Tickets are always for all sessions that day. Majority of sports fans are fans of their team, not so much the sport. Kansas fans bought most of the tix undoubtedly, and probably ahead of time, assuming that Kansas would get seeded to that pod. May still see though lots of Michigan fans in the game later. That leaves the other two games- games involving Houston and Seton Hall- and those schools don't have big fan bases, or travel that far away. I don't think the problem is Wichita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 PM

Kentucky too big, too strong. And Villanova never messes around with these inferior opponents. For all their early round exits, they never seem to struggle with these bottom seeds.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Well I figured SDSU and Houston might come down to the last possession: and wouldn't you know it! Houston actually seemed to have control most of the way. But length of the court in 1.1 seconds: SDSU couldn't have asked for a better look to win it. As open as you can get it in that time and only about 20 feet away.
Kentucky-Davidson also played pretty much the way I expected, though I thought other than Gudmunsson, Davidson had a lot of good looks in the 2nd half behind the arc to overtake UK, but couldn't convert.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 PM

I took Buffalo and the Bonnnies as underdogs in the late ones. Watching the first half of the first half, I think Zona is really going to have sweat this one out. They aren't running away with this one. Buffalo is no joke.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 PM

And Arizona now in serious trouble. A month ago was a golden opportunity for Zona to rid itself of Sean Miller. This guy just doesn't have it in March.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 AM

22,350 posts, read 32,293,681 times
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...-march-madness

Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 AM

5,395 posts, read 3,373,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Who thought it was a good idea to have Wichita host games? Apart from the Kansas game, the arena has been almost empty.
I think Wichita is a fine location for 1st/2nd round games, they are also hosting in 2021. They are centrally located in the US, have a fairly new (2010), good sized (15,000 seat) arena that can draw people from neighboring states if their school is playing there and of course you have the University of Kansas right up the road.

Having been to numerous 1st/2nd round games in the NCAA tourney in various cities over the years, it's not necessarily easy to consistently draw people. I think the "pod system" helped a bit, in trying to place the higher seeds closer to their fan base, but most of the time the NCAA is relying on the college basketball junkies, like myself, living in and/or near those places, who don't necessarily care who's playing in the games, to fill those arenas in the early rounds. And like Sonny mentioned, there's probably not a ton of us out there.

There are only a handful of teams that have national followings and will pack arenas to see their team play no matter what, and like mentioned above, most fans just care about their team, and either skip the first game if their team isn't playing or not stay for the 2nd game if their team is finished playing for the day. Some of these schools with smaller student populations and alumni bases, are not going to have a ton of their fans travel halfway across the country to see them play, unless you have the time and money. The Thursday/Friday games are also tough, if you can't get time off from work to make it to a certain session.

I know college football attendance has been declining over the years and I'm not sure if college basketball is as well. Even me being a college basketball enthusiast, going to watch both sessions (morning and evening), 4 games total over a 12 hour period is grueling and not for the faint of heart, I think of myself as crazy, but the "good crazy"!

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-16-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-16-2018, 07:38 AM

Add to the fact that while Kansas fans can assume they would be in Wichita, most schools and their fans don't have that luxury. During a work week, after you suddenly find out Sunday where your team will be, how do you feasibly invest the time for any more than a few hours drive? If it's a plane ride, costs are astronomical for last second flights. Football is far more convenient with the pairings announced many weeks in advance and the time of year is when many are on vacation anyhow. I think there is merit to doing what the NIT does and have home games for the higher seeds in the first 2 rounds.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Just realized that the PAC-12 laid a big goose egg. Ouch. Doubtful USC would have won a game either.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM

686 posts, read 551,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Just realized that the PAC-12 laid a big goose egg. Ouch. Doubtful USC would have won a game either.
A statistic reappeared yesterday that went like, Pac 12 was the only conference with a team in the Elite 8 in each of the last four years (Arizona twice and Oregon twice).

But, yes. Wildcats had three preseason tournament losses and then won the Pac 12 championship; if that didn't engender a few doubts in Pac 12 fans, maybe it should have. It did me. When both UCLA and ASU took early exits, it was a nagging reality we were still the same team who lost three non-conference in the preseason tournament. I was worried going into the game last night.

In Coach Miller's interview previous to the game last night, his demeanor looked subdued; he seemed like the same coach who frankly admitted that he couldn't think of anything else to tell the team get them to win. Honestly, the team just did not always play smart.

We have had some spectacular losses, and this one is not the worst; nothing can touch the 1998 loss of the returning champs to Utah and probably never will. But who knows, we are pretty dramatic on both ends. And I guess that goes for the Pac 12, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or