U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 AM

5,299 posts, read 3,327,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
And Arizona now in serious trouble. A month ago was a golden opportunity for Zona to rid itself of Sean Miller. This guy just doesn't have it in March.
While I agree with you, the thing with replacing Miller, is what big name or up and coming coach wants to come to Arizona if they are put on probation for a year or two years or x years and can't compete in post-season tournaments (conference or NCAA/NIT)?

Do they go out and get a no name "stop gap" coach for a few years, until all of the FBI/NCAA stuff is resolved?

Do they do what they did when Lute abruptly retired, have 4 different coaches (Lute Olson, Kevin O'Neill, Russ Pennell, Sean Miller) in a 4 year span?

I would love to see a Gregg Marshall or even a Chris Mack (probably won't go after him, with his ties to Miller) come to Tucson, but it looks like those types of coaches have better situations staying at their respective schools.

It's definitely going to be an interesting off-season in the Old Pueblo to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 AM

929 posts, read 297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While I agree with you, the thing with replacing Miller, is what big name or up and coming coach wants to come to Arizona if they are put on probation for a year or two years or x years and can't compete in post-season tournaments (conference or NCAA/NIT)?

Do they go out and get a no name "stop gap" coach for a few years, until all of the FBI/NCAA stuff is resolved?

Do they do what they did when Lute abruptly retired, have 4 different coaches (Lute Olson, Kevin O'Neill, Russ Pennell, Sean Miller) in a 4 year span?

I would love to see a Gregg Marshall or even a Chris Mack (probably won't go after him, with his ties to Miller) come to Tucson, but it looks like those types of coaches have better situations staying at their respective schools.

It's definitely going to be an interesting off-season in the Old Pueblo to say the least.
I think Arizona might want to consider an ex-player (Steve Kerr? Didn't I hear something the other week about his interest in coaching in college?). Some unknown with close ties to the program. Maybe he turns out be another Kevin Ollie (minus the deceiving national title he won). But worth a try- not much of a gamble with what could be happening in due time to the program.
As to Arizona fans' disappointment and others shock, let's credit Buffalo. This a legit team with what I knew played the perfect style in a first round game against a bigger team not familiar with the Bulls. In fact Arizona was only a single digit favorite, so this is only a mild upset- perhaps a big upset only from the standpoint of margin of victory. I didn't believe any of these media "experts, even Doug Gottlieb, who actually offers a lot of good insight into teams and match-ups unlike most of the other talking heads. I'm not tooting my horn for picking Buffalo btw- for what its worth, I had St Bonaventure advancing to the Sweet 16.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:43 AM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
Quote:
I had St Bonaventure advancing to the Sweet 16.
So did I... I missed one factor.

Between the conference tourney and the First Four and Thursday night - 4 games in 6 days. It showed at the end.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM

671 posts, read 542,471 times
It's rather Mike Bibby who's suggested to coach the Wildcats. Mike Bibby is currently coaching Phoenix Shadow Mountain high school, the alma mater of himself and his son. Steve Kerr has said he definitely is not interested in coaching college.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 AM

929 posts, read 297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
It's rather Mike Bibby who's suggested to coach the Wildcats. Mike Bibby is currently coaching Phoenix Shadow Mountain high school, the alma mater of himself and his son. Steve Kerr has said he definitely is not interested in coaching college.
Maybe that was who they were referencing. Simon & Bibby, beating three #1 seeds- I remember that.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I think Arizona might want to consider an ex-player (Steve Kerr? Didn't I hear something the other week about his interest in coaching in college?). Some unknown with close ties to the program. Maybe he turns out be another Kevin Ollie (minus the deceiving national title he won). But worth a try- not much of a gamble with what could be happening in due time to the program.
As to Arizona fans' disappointment and others shock, let's credit Buffalo. This a legit team with what I knew played the perfect style in a first round game against a bigger team not familiar with the Bulls. In fact Arizona was only a single digit favorite, so this is only a mild upset- perhaps a big upset only from the standpoint of margin of victory. I didn't believe any of these media "experts, even Doug Gottlieb, who actually offers a lot of good insight into teams and match-ups unlike most of the other talking heads. I'm not tooting my horn for picking Buffalo btw- for what its worth, I had St Bonaventure advancing to the Sweet 16.
Yeah, Wilma is right, it was Mike Bibby's name being thrown around. Maybe if Kerr wins the next 10 consecutive NBA titles as a coach and passes Phil Jackson for most titles by a coach with 12, then maybe he might think about leaving the NBA and coaching his alma mater!

I'm not too surprised with Arizona's loss, they were horrible at defense this year, but especially at guarding against the 3. Usually the best way they defended 3-point attempts, was to hope, wish and pray the opponent's shot didn't go in!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:25 AM

32,490 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

if arizona dumps sean miller, and i doubt they will at this point, one name comes to mind, someone who wanted the job before miller was hired and that is josh pastner. will he leave georga tech though for the arizona job?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if arizona dumps sean miller, and i doubt they will at this point, one name comes to mind, someone who wanted the job before miller was hired and that is josh pastner. will he leave georga tech though for the arizona job?
Yeah, I thought about Josh, but he has a bunch of off the court issues right now as well, I wouldn't try and bring him back.

The Potential Legal and NCAA Fallout From Josh Pastner's Lurid Litigation Dispute

Old 03-16-2018, 12:40 PM

671 posts, read 542,471 times
Sean Miller is a good coach, and the FBI likely doesn't have anything against him or Deandre Ayton; Book Richardson was arrested six months ago. They could have arrested Sean Miller then. That said, the NCAA can still sanction us because of Book Richardson; and he doesn't even go to trial until April 2019. What a headache.

It would be interesting to see what can be done with recruiting in that climate and coaching. Also assistant Lorenzo Romar was a good recruiter; we lost him to Pepperdine last week. Who knows; maybe it would be a good challenge for Sean Miller. Nobody will be expecting much out of the season; not exciting, but still interesting.

People are saying that Pitt will offer Sean Miller, though; they had a terrible season (last in the ACC, 8-24), and its said that's his dream job. Sean has not said it's his dream job; that's internet posters saying it.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:11 PM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
North Carolina needs to be careful with Lipscomb today.

Wichita St. ... gone.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 03-16-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or