U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM

929 posts, read 296,266 times

Advertisements

I know I'm splitting hairs because of the modern day reality of watered down college basketball and somebody has to merit these seeds, but UNC is a weak 2 seed and Wichita is a somewhat weak 4 seed. Cinci is over-seeded as a 2 seed. All three are involved in tight games, although UNC-Lipscomb still has a long way to go. I'm sensing these teams won't be around too long, even if they win today. In Wichita's case, Marshall, much like Buffalo, is legit and hard for a team unfamiliar with them to match up with their run and gun style. I was very torn who to pick in this game. If Marshall pulls it out, a Marshall-W. Virginia game might be about the funnest game to watch since the days of Paul Westphal's Loyola Marymount teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 03:24 PM

5,269 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Well, with Marshall winning today and Haas from Purdue breaking his elbow in a win, looks like Villanova's path to the Final Four just got a wee bit easier, now watch them lose to Alabama tomorrow, which would be eerily similar to 2015 when they were a #1 seed and lost to the #8 seed NC State also in Pittsburgh in the round of 32.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Bulldogs are money in these first round games. And now the outlook on this next game vs Purdue takes a whole different look. Isaac Haas is done for Purdue. Big loss- probably bigger than the Deandre Hunter injury for Virginia. But Purdue is cursed it always seems in the NCAA Tourney, as are my brackets in recent memory. Purdue was my pick to win it all.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,173,557 times
I wonder if anybody picked Marshall and Buffalo to meet up in the final game!

Old 03-16-2018, 04:20 PM

5,269 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Bulldogs are money in these first round games. And now the outlook on this next game vs Purdue takes a whole different look. Isaac Haas is done for Purdue. Big loss- probably bigger than the Deandre Hunter injury for Virginia. But Purdue is cursed it always seems in the NCAA Tourney, as are my brackets in recent memory. Purdue was my pick to win it all.
I don't follow the Big Ten that closely, besides just looking at the standings every so often and knew Michigan State was probably going to be pretty good this year, but had no idea after Swanigan left Purdue last year, that the Boilermakers were going to even better this year!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 PM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, I thought about Josh, but he has a bunch of off the court issues right now as well, I wouldn't try and bring him back.

The Potential Legal and NCAA Fallout From Josh Pastner's Lurid Litigation Dispute
sounds to me like pastner is being gas lighted by a couple of people he tried to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Sean Miller is a good coach, and the FBI likely doesn't have anything against him or Deandre Ayton; Book Richardson was arrested six months ago. They could have arrested Sean Miller then. That said, the NCAA can still sanction us because of Book Richardson; and he doesn't even go to trial until April 2019. What a headache.

It would be interesting to see what can be done with recruiting in that climate and coaching. Also assistant Lorenzo Romar was a good recruiter; we lost him to Pepperdine last week. Who knows; maybe it would be a good challenge for Sean Miller. Nobody will be expecting much out of the season; not exciting, but still interesting.

People are saying that Pitt will offer Sean Miller, though; they had a terrible season (last in the ACC, 8-24), and its said that's his dream job. Sean has not said it's his dream job; that's internet posters saying it.
i agree that miller is a good coach, and i think he is being unfairly treated at this point. its possiblt that he may have had a hand in some of the shenanigans going on today, but at this point i doubt it. i think in the end he is cleared by the FBI, though the NCAA may hit the university with penalties, we shall see.

as for lorenzo romar, i am glad he is getting a proper head coaching job again, he deserves it.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Anyone else see that block by TCU on the half court alley-oop pass by Syracuse that looked like a sure slam? Then the subsequent finish in a flash the other way. Sequence of the year. Maybe my lifetime. Any level of basketball. TCU has woken up.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 PM

28,446 posts, read 15,432,286 times
#1 seed upset major alert...

UVA down 14 in the second half.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:55 PM

Virginia in HUGE trouble. I have felt many feats would never occur in my lifetime, or certain records would ever fall. I have felt for many years I will live to see a 16 seed beat a 1 seed. Penn being mis-seeded was an opportunity I thought that this might be the year. Ironically, right year, just wrong game. How can Virginia score enough to come back from this, especially without Deandre Hunter? I think we might be seeing history here tonight ladies and gents.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:03 PM

17,254 posts, read 10,176,823 times
UMBC is whupping on Virginia now. Crossing fingers for the #16 upset!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or