U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 AM

929 posts, read 296,266 times

Advertisements

Pretty good list here: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/umbc-vi...080307070.html
Poor UVA basketball somehow managing to crack the top 6 TWICE. And then add the heartbreak of those Elite 8 losses/collapses against Cinderellas NC State in 83 and Syracuse in 2016 in the Elite Eights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 AM

5,496 posts, read 2,328,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Pretty good list here: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/umbc-vi...080307070.html
Poor UVA basketball somehow managing to crack the top 6 TWICE. And then add the heartbreak of those Elite 8 losses/collapses against Cinderellas NC State in 83 and Syracuse in 2016 in the Elite Eights.
App State over Michigan was clearly a bigger upset. Football is a different beast. I do not know if this was top 6, but it sure was surprising.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:34 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,635,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
My bracket is in pretty good shape actually. But a huge one for me today is Houston needing to beat Michigan. I really think who ever wins that game today will come out of the west bracket. If you didn't have UVA in the Final Four or better, last night's loss probably wound up helping you in the contests. This is still far and away the best sporting event in the world, nothing else is close. I loved regular season college basketball too in the 90's. Unfortunately that has mostly been ruined thanks to players not sticking around and many top teams toying around and just trying to gain chemistry before the tourney, the conference affiliations changing and not being so regional any longer with unbalanced schedules, and poor NCAA selection processes that don't encourage regular season play to matter (this year for example, Arizona St getting in over USC).

A 16 was going to beat a 1. The parity is so overwhelming this day and age. And its become a habit for these type of games to be undecided in the last four minutes. You use to be able to point out games like Princeton-G'Town in 1989, Oklahoma-ETSU in 1990 , and West Carolina-Purdue in 1996 and they stand out because they were so rare. Now we've forgotten so many close calls, such as Syracuse-NC Ashville a few years back, UConn-Albany, etc... because they are commonplace. Maybe a blowout was what finally was going to get us to that moment, so that small school didn't have to alas feel all that pressure in the waning minutes. Like I stated, UMBC probably should have been a 15 and Virginia was vulnerable without Deandre Hunter. Great upset, but most shocking outcome in the tournament? I'd have to think about that answer.

In terms of all of sports, I'm still going for shock value, Buster Douglas knocking out Tyson and "The Miracle on Ice.". And I guess if it counts, (not a game) Wayne Gretzky being traded.

If Michigan keeps winning, I'm in fat city. Really pulling for a miracle, but I've got them going all the way to the championship game. I had Kentucky knocking off Virginia in the next round so in this part of my bracket I'm still looking OK.

I heard that Haas from Purdue is injured and out for the tournament. If that's the case, that hurts me as I have them winning it all.

Nova is putting on a shooting clinic in the 2nd half as I'm writing this. I've got them making the elite 8, so go Cats.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 17,982 times
Alabama needs to stick with football, my boys are beating the crap out of them. Ha ha ha!! I love it!

Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 PM

1,522 posts, read 707,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldT1m3r View Post
Alabama needs to stick with football, my boys are beating the crap out of them. Ha ha ha!! I love it!
My Crimson Tide definitely needs to get you guys on the football schedule, turnabout fair play

Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I wonder if anybody picked Marshall and Buffalo to meet up in the final game!
certainly unlikely. Now it is a guess as to who will end up in the final 4? Holy you know what, I had VA winning the whole thing. I am still in a state of shock!!!

Old 03-17-2018, 12:12 PM

71,925 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
All time NCAA playoff record of 16th seed beating 1st seed: 0-132!
yep, boy am I glad I fell asleep. I would have probably cried and cried, then had another glass of wine.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 PM

43 posts, read 17,982 times
Default No way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
My Crimson Tide definitely needs to get you guys on the football schedule, turnabout fair play
Nah, we don't play Foosball up here

Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post

Fair, no more Howie long or Brian Westbrook (oddly nova has a few quite good NFL prior football players, maybe better than their relative NBA output surprisingly)

Will make a deal as a Nova and PSU combo guy, Lets have Bama play my Nits (football) and my Wildcats can play in hoops

Did the Nits beat the Irish, actually don't answer, I recorded that one and am going back to watch now

Old 03-17-2018, 12:56 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,593,253 times
After all the crap I caught about the ACC tournament, I’m taking the high road and not rubbing it in. Not that any of my UVA friends have been on FB today. I guess they're still sitting slack jawed in front of their TVs wondering what the heck happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or