U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 11:04 PM

929 posts, read 301,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Never thought Clemson, FSU and Cuse would be in and UVA/UNC would be out.

FSU and Clemson are WAY overdue for at least an elite 8 season.

I think UMBC proved the 16 beside their name was just a number. Dropped UVA and played arguably a top 25 team even for about 39 minutes. They could probably beat over half the teams in the tourney right now.
I don't know about that, unless of course we're just talking thru the prism of anybody beiing able to beat anybody for one game and not a best-of-seven. Kansas State played without its leading scorer. Without him at 100%, I think they are the worst team of the remaining 16. With him, they still might be. They got a hobbled Creighton team as well in the first round, and UMBC did their dirty work in round one. UVA had to adjust to life without its most talented offensive player on shot notice- that does matter. And don't get me wrong, there were plenty of other reasons UMBC beat Virginia. Kudos to them. But I wouldn't bet on UMBC still in an important one game situation against the majority of the teams originally in the field. Probably a 15 seed could have been justified and not a 16 however, if I scrutinized the resume before the tournament began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 11:10 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,980,351 times
I really enjoyed the games today. Glad Duke is still in it.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:34 PM

6,120 posts, read 1,872,629 times
This might be the most compelling NCAA tourney in recent memory. I can't remember when so many top ranked seeds went down so early.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 AM

11,680 posts, read 7,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I don't know about that, unless of course we're just talking thru the prism of anybody beiing able to beat anybody for one game and not a best-of-seven. Kansas State played without its leading scorer. Without him at 100%, I think they are the worst team of the remaining 16. With him, they still might be. They got a hobbled Creighton team as well in the first round, and UMBC did their dirty work in round one. UVA had to adjust to life without its most talented offensive player on shot notice- that does matter. And don't get me wrong, there were plenty of other reasons UMBC beat Virginia. Kudos to them. But I wouldn't bet on UMBC still in an important one game situation against the majority of the teams originally in the field. Probably a 15 seed could have been justified and not a 16 however, if I scrutinized the resume before the tournament began.
Creighton was good enough to beat Villanova just a few weeks ago and lost to #1 seed Xavier by 1 point. Bottom line - KSU was highly favored and knew to expect a game yet UMBC still went toe to toe with them. Put in a position similar to Virginia where UMBC is highly underestimated, they probably hang with or beat most teams in the tournament.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 AM

5,128 posts, read 1,847,453 times
didnt figure UMBC would win another game after blowing their wad on VA
figured Xavier to be the least scary #1.. but no idea a lessor ACC team would get them.
UNC certainly did not deserve a 2 line with 10 losses when you cant find the next 10 loss team til the 5 line(and Kentucky actually won their conf tourney). nonetheless A&M taking them to the cleaners was a surprise.
UNC and MSU losing basically home games is quite humorous.
Go Duke!

Last edited by tripleh; 03-19-2018 at 01:25 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 06:29 AM

688 posts, read 554,889 times
UMBC had already justified their existence until the end of time...

Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 AM

22,351 posts, read 32,332,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I've got my Final Four intact from the initial bracket I did quickly, and minutes after the Selection Show. Everything else is a mess, like most people. Michigan, Kentucky, Duke, Purdue. Let's re-set though.

Still not confident about Purdue without Haas. Kentucky has the easiest road you could ask- and despite being just a 5 seed. Kansas State might have its leading scorer back for that one, hard to tell- he has been hobbled off and on for months. Still crazy to think Loyola or Nevada will be one game from the Final 4. Duke I think keeps up from where they left off and my only hesitation, is having to play in front of a partisan Kansas crowd in Omaha if the two meet in the regional final. Nova and Kentucky and Duke with little hesitation.

Texas A&M is my pick in the west. This is a more talented team than some may have realized and as long as today wasn't an aberration, even a higher seeded Wolverine team that I picked is going to have a tough time generating offense against A&M. John Beilein has spun plenty of magic before, but he'll have his work cut out for him.

Florida State is the team if I woke up after a week of sleep, that I would have least expected to see in the Sweet 16. A bit more than Syracuse. Maybe Kansas State, depending how you look at that situation, not having played Virginia. Not stunned by Nevada, and certainly not Loyola, who I predicted to be playing into the next week. This tournament is so arbitrary in nature. Hence, why Virginia is sitting at home for example, while conference foes Florida State and Syracuse, clearly inferior, are still playing. Too much modern day parity too, to be surprised by all the "bracket busting". Where I am surprised are these teams like Xavier and Cinci blowing these kind of leads against teams they should beat, but yet 18 year old kids continuing to be clutch under the spot light, draining big shot after big shot in big moments. One extreme or the other. Of course Xavier wasn't helped by awful coaching in the waning moments, and terrible officiating.
The boilermakers scared me a lot more with Hass (Nova can be beat by pounding down low and getting them in foul trouble)

WVU looked sharp and now is the game that scares me as a Nova fan. (no final four games can scare you as they by default are all scary but why you play to get there)

I also agree the path now looking with Duke and Nova could determine the champ if things pay out the way they are supposed to (like that has happened this year)

I also think Nova is showing some similar signs to 2016 but the Dukies look good too, Maybe Coach Ks last hoorah! I hope not as I despise Duke

Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 AM

22,351 posts, read 32,332,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post

Was happy they made a really strong showing, they really played well and those kids absolutely have heart

And how bout the Nevada coach and his family, you cant script this stuff What a tourney thus far, think some things do start to settle out this week.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:15 AM

3,841 posts, read 2,634,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The boilermakers scared me a lot more with Hass (Nova can be beat by pounding down low and getting them in foul trouble)

WVU looked sharp and now is the game that scares me as a Nova fan. (no final four games can scare you as they by default are all scary but why you play to get there)

I also agree the path now looking with Duke and Nova could determine the champ if things pay out the way they are supposed to (like that has happened this year)

I also think Nova is showing some similar signs to 2016 but the Dukies look good too, Maybe Coach Ks last hoorah! I hope not as I despise Duke
Same. As much as I hate Nova for the end of the 2016 title game; nothing is worse than Duke.

They also have a pattern of winning the title the year after UNC does. That's especially annoying. I guess they just like to follow in the footsteps. I do wish the Heels hadn't followed in Duke's footsteps of getting knocked out in the first weekend though. That's classic Duke.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:48 AM

9,532 posts, read 7,218,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post

The value to their school is likely huge. Not just the basketball program, but the entire school.. You get a kid from Baltimore who doesn't get into UMD, for example.. He can choose between going to a lower tier program.. And, not meaning to be offensive by 'lower tier'.. But somewhere like a Clemson.. Or Florida State. Programs that play well at times, but really aren't generally going to challenge for a championship. and staying local.. That win could likely shift his view. Even non-basketball players.. Their dream is going to Maryland.. They don't get in.. Hey.. UMBC

Just the name recognition.. George Mason wasn't known to many outside of the northern VA area until their tourney run a few years back. UMBC is getting the same bump even without going deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or