U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 11:27 AM

17,327 posts, read 10,250,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The value to their school is likely huge. Not just the basketball program, but the entire school.. You get a kid from Baltimore who doesn't get into UMD, for example.. He can choose between going to a lower tier program.. And, not meaning to be offensive by 'lower tier'.. But somewhere like a Clemson.. Or Florida State. Programs that play well at times, but really aren't generally going to challenge for a championship. and staying local.. That win could likely shift his view. Even non-basketball players.. Their dream is going to Maryland.. They don't get in.. Hey.. UMBC

Just the name recognition.. George Mason wasn't known to many outside of the northern VA area until their tourney run a few years back. UMBC is getting the same bump even without going deep.
Totally agree.

Some estimates say that win is worth 150 million to UMBC.

What person wouldn't want to be associated with a school that not only plays division 1 basketball, but created NCAA history with their scrappy play in the greatest sporting event in the world? A person now has the option body going to a lower tier school and be proud of it. That brand recognition is priceless.

The school I went to plays in the NAIA and I wish I went to a school that had division 1 hoops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,336,406 times
Looking back at the preseason rankings:

#1 Duke
#4 Kansas
#5 Kentucky
#6 Villanova

So for how crazy, wide open and unpredictable the tournament has been, 3 of those teams can make up 75% of the Final Four. Something to think about, maybe we just let the regular season get in the way!

Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,783,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

#1 Duke
#4 Kansas
#5 Kentucky
#6 Villanova

So for how crazy, wide open and unpredictable the tournament has been, 3 of those teams can make up 75% of the Final Four. Something to think about, maybe we just let the regular season get in the way!
Match-ups, injury or just great shooting nights can skew things.

I think 10 of the top 16 in Ken Pom's eff. rankings are still alive. 5 of the Top 6 offenses still alive. Syracuse at 44 is the lowest left but they can be a matchup nightmare against some teams. Kansas St. next at 39 played a 16 seed in Round 2.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM

929 posts, read 297,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

#1 Duke
#4 Kansas
#5 Kentucky
#6 Villanova

Ironic. Although I also have to say even with all the seemingly endless upsets, the cream rises to the top. Teams that overachieve during the regular season, it never pans out well in the post-season, such as Auburn. The talent-laden teams like Kentucky might sleep-walk thru the regular campaign, then still wind up being among the last standing. Some of it is by design by these top coaches, especially when it is a lot of freshman sensations involved. These guys know the regular season means little and are willing to tinker with line-ups, yank guys for petty mistakes, etc... I saw this so many times with Jim Calhoun. He would throw guys into the mix of highly competitive games, when there is no chance of it happening if it was a similar type game in March.

Again, Duke and Nova for me; you can have the rest of the field. Kentucky comes third because it's region and potential semi final game would be easier likely. They cant play both Nova and Duke; one at most. Kansas I guess would be fourth because of the Omaha factor and so many have been knocked out and Purdue is without Haas.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:55 AM

72,108 posts, read 83,768,361 times
Let's face it, every year is weird but this has to take the cake. Not only are top teams getting knocked off in some cases they are getting beat pretty badly. What about VA for starters. I know our family pool which consists of abut 20 players are down to a few who have anyone left to go all the way. A couple have Villanova and a couple have Kansas. In fact a few only have 1 team left in the final 4.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's face it, every year is weird but this has to take the cake. Not only are top teams getting knocked off in some cases they are getting beat pretty badly. What about VA for starters. I know our family pool which consists of abut 20 players are down to a few who have anyone left to go all the way. A couple have Villanova and a couple have Kansas. In fact a few only have 1 team left in the final 4.

My pool is destroyed yet am still in the running because of the chaos

I do actually still have two teams left (lost MS and AZ) with the Zags and Nova

weird year, I call it my NCAA staircase (no longer anything like a bracket) at this point (Hopefully a stairway to heaven for my Wildcats (not those fraud ones from KY and apparently Davidson and AZ )

BTW I live in Bella Vista Philadelphia, saw your location

At this point I am just hoping neither KY or Duke win it

Also this year has a chance for 4 small(er) catholic and private schools and no large state schools which would be a little anomalous, though KY right now has the easiest path

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-20-2018 at 06:10 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 07:08 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,649,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My pool is destroyed yet am still in the running because of the chaos

I do actually still have two teams left (lost MS and AZ) with the Zags and Nova

weird year, I call it my NCAA staircase (no longer anything like a bracket) at this point (Hopefully a stairway to heaven for my Wildcats (not those fraud ones from KY and apparently Davidson and AZ )

BTW I live in Bella Vista Philadelphia, saw your location

At this point I am just hoping neither KY or Duke win it

Also this year has a chance for 4 small(er) catholic and private schools and no large state schools which would be a little anomalous, though KY right now has the easiest path

Although my Sunday games were brutal. I still have 5 of 8 teams possible in the elite eight and a possibility of 3 out of 4 teams for the final four. Could still win with my bracket in the couple of local groups I'm with. My possible 8 is Nevada (yes, Nevada) Michigan, Villinova, Purdue, and Kansas. My possible final 4 are Nevada (yes, Nevada), Michigan, and Purdue. Michigan State really let me down.

I actually have the Sweet 16 showdown of Loyola-Chicago and Nevada. Had a guy question me on that one when I picked it.

Some real wildcard shots there, but the way this tournament is going you never know.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,514,441 times
My bracket sux but I do still have 3 of my final 4 still alive (Mich, Duke, Nova).

Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Although my Sunday games were brutal. I still have 5 of 8 teams possible in the elite eight and a possibility of 3 out of 4 teams for the final four. Could still win with my bracket in the couple of local groups I'm with. My possible 8 is Nevada (yes, Nevada) Michigan, Villinova, Purdue, and Kansas. My possible final 4 are Nevada (yes, Nevada), Michigan, and Purdue. Michigan State really let me down.

I actually have the Sweet 16 showdown of Loyola-Chicago and Nevada. Had a guy question me on that one when I picked it.

Some real wildcard shots there, but the way this tournament is going you never know.

impressive

Now am sure he wont question you again

Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,649,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
My bracket sux but I do still have 3 of my final 4 still alive (Mich, Duke, Nova).

Your 3 definitely look more possible than mine especially with Haas most likely being out for the rest of the tournament for Purdue. Then again, your 3 would be a much more popular pick for most people, but that's during a "normal" tournament. This year is anything but normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or