U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 10:37 PM

929 posts, read 297,399 times

Advertisements

"Calamari" whining about his bracket after the selection show; then goes out and loses to middle-of-the-pack Kansas State, a nine seed- in what was almost a home game for UK. Love it. BTW Kansas State was 0-7 against the Big 12's top 3 this season and still is largely without its leading scorer and rebounder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 05:29 AM

Incredible to think, if Houston makes its free throws and beats Michigan like it should have, one of the following is playing for the national championship a week from Monday: Houston/Texas A&M, Florida State, Kansas State, Loyola. Weird. Also somebody should look it up: Loyola has won gotten to the Elite 8 by a total of 4 points. Has that ever happened? I don't believe even the Cardiac Kids- NC State did that.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:49 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
This is pretty nuts - we're getting an 11 v 9 for a trip to the Final Four.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:08 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,331,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I would love to see them beat Kentucky to get to the Final Four, but that's going to be a tough one!
What I meant to say, I would love them (Loyola) to beat Kansas State to get to the the Final Four!

Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,331,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Also somebody should look it up: Loyola has won gotten to the Elite 8 by a total of 4 points. Has that ever happened? I don't believe even the Cardiac Kids- NC State did that.
I heard on sports/talk radio that it tied a record.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:56 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,130,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
"Calamari" whining about his bracket after the selection show; then goes out and loses to middle-of-the-pack Kansas State, a nine seed- in what was almost a home game for UK. Love it. BTW Kansas State was 0-7 against the Big 12's top 3 this season and still is largely without its leading scorer and rebounder.
"Calamari" -- a squid.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
"Calamari" -- a squid.
Yes- goes back to his UMass days and the tension between that program and UConn at the time. I wonder if he will complain again and claim the committee seeded Kansas State too low and Kentucky should have had an easier 9 seed.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Wow Kentucky. KSU took it to the Wildcats with their perimeter D.

I like Nova tonight- they will protect the ball against WVU.
I think Texas Tech wins a close win. They can defend Purdue's inside out game.
Upset is Clemson- I think they turned the corner last weekend beating a good NM State team and dismantling Auburn. They've played through adversity the whole second half of the year and let's face Kansas is NOT Kansas this year.
Duke is my lock. 16 point win earlier and they've tightened up their D. I don't see a low scoring game though I think Duke Reaches the high 70s.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Wow Kentucky. KSU took it to the Wildcats with their perimeter D.

I like Nova tonight- they will protect the ball against WVU.
I think Texas Tech wins a close win. They can defend Purdue's inside out game.
Upset is Clemson- I think they turned the corner last weekend beating a good NM State team and dismantling Auburn. They've played through adversity the whole second half of the year and let's face Kansas is NOT Kansas this year.
Duke is my lock. 16 point win earlier and they've tightened up their D. I don't see a low scoring game though I think Duke Reaches the high 70s.
I agree on all your picks tonight. Tech-Purdue is the toughest one to call; again, I had Purdue in the Final 4, but without Haas, they are deficient. Clemson hasn't been discussed at all- their games in this tournament less far haven't been worth tuning into and they are an unknown to the average basketball fan. I think most will know after tonight. Even with a partisan Kansas crowd, Clemson pulls the upset tonight. After yesterday, I'm not sure though if there is any such thing as an upset any more.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Much discussion on the airwaves again about the tournament format, thanks to middle-of-the-pack conference teams like Kansas State and Florida State one game each away from the Final 4. I love the Russian Roulette similarities to March madness. There is merit to some of the arguments however. And why college basketball's regular season is meaningless. Kansas State beats an 8, a 16, and a 5 seed- and in the blink of an eye, they're one game from the Final 4. You think about maybe byes for teams, but everybody would moan about it screwing up the logistics of bracket contests. Maybe the first two rounds played on the home courts of the higher seeds, as they do in the women's game? I don't know the ideal situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or