U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 06:51 PM

22,347 posts, read 32,269,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Villanova btw did not lose two straight games this season and in fact, has not since 2013. Amazing. I don't care if its a bottom feeder conference where these 16 seeds come out of. Still quite a feat....

So first game you've got Loyola-Michigan. Second game you've got Nova-Duke/Kansas. Not too shabby. Blue bloods, high profile teams, combined with a Cinderella story. I think this has turned out well after the concern by many that all the upsets into this past Thursday might mean we'd be looking at more than one middle-of-the-pack power conference schools that almost nobody knows anything about.

Villanova SOS is ranked 15 in the country ahead of many teams from the ACC, Big10 Big !2 SEC Pac 10 etc.

They beat the Zags, Xavier, Tenn

They also would have played Purdue (they lost in the pre-season tourney before) and one other forget team ranked from that tourney

played U conn out of conference plus the big 5 games (city rivalries)

Its not like they had a cake schedule

1/3rd of their wins were against top 25s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 07:00 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,634,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Villanova SOS is ranked 15 in the country ahead of many teams from the ACC, Big10 Big !2 SEC Pac 10 etc.

They also would have played Purdue (they lost in the pre-season tourney before) and one other forget team ranked from that tourney

You don't get credit for being in the same tournament as other good teams if you never play them because you lost.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:01 PM

929 posts, read 299,516 times
Quote:

I agree. I was mentioning "bottom feeder" in reference to it being a hard feat in any conference. Even say Gonzaga, who has easily been heads and shoulders above of everybody in a mediocre conference season after season, its rather improbable to not lose two games in a row over six seasons. I saw some garbage again about the Big East being a mid-major conference, which it is not. Its been better than some of these "glamour" Power 5 conferences pretty much every season since the new Big East came to be.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:02 PM

5,126 posts, read 1,837,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
After Duke got every single call in regulation.
bait, but ill take it since its factually incorrect as they most often are.

Carter played 8 minutes in the 1st half due to fouls, clearly -not- every single call.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:04 PM

5,354 posts, read 3,358,371 times
Quote:
Arizona, that was the match up everybody was looking forward to Villanova vs. Arizona in the Bahamas. Zona was ranked #2 in the country at the time (Nova was #5), then they lost all three on the Islands to start the season 3-3.

I get what you're saying about schedules, I also like Villanova, I'm originally from PA, having Xavier have a tremendous year and Seton Hall, to a lesser extent, helped a lot in making the Big East, along with Creighton and Providence doing whell, be one of the better conferences, definitely better than the Pac-12. It's like a "snowball effect", the Big 12 had something similar this year.

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-25-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 07:08 PM

22,347 posts, read 32,269,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
You don't get credit for being in the same tournament as other good teams if you never play them because you lost.

no Purdue lost early Nova won the tourney I think AZ was in too and they lost to prior

not their fault the others lost they scheduled to play tough teams also played the Zags out of conference and CT

also Xavier, Creighton, Butler, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, and even St johns (beat both Duke and Nova) were no slouches plus Temple and St Joes are always tough inner city games (the holy war)

Nova has made an historic run they set a record today for the most wine ever accumulated by a D1 team over a four year period I believe they also have spent more weeks at #1 than any other team over the last 3 years.

plus their coach is from my HS so that helps

Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 PM

929 posts, read 299,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I can never pick Kansas correctly, ever. I bet next year they lose 1 game going into the tournament and they lose to the 8/9 seed but I'll have them winning the whole thing.
I posted the same thing a few days ago. I hear you. They mess up my bracket every year, win or lose. This probably is close to vintage Kansas at this point because of the massive improvement of Malik Newman. But for much of the year, I didn't see it coming. They appeared to be a weak one seed. The year they lost to Syracuse in the 03 final, they were a weak #2 seed and I never expected them to get that far. I thought they were the weakest of all the 4 one seeds (all made it to the Final 4) when they won it all in 08. Years off the top of my head where they were shocked despite being a strong #1 seed: 1997 and upset by eventual champ Arizona in the Sweet 16, 1998 w/ Paul Pierce and the shocking loss to URI in the 2nd round, 2010 in rd 2 vs Northern Iowa, 2011 in the Elite 8 vs VCU, 2016 a mild upset loss to Nova in the Elite 8. I took Kansas to win it, or close to it in those seasons. I give up.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 PM

13,076 posts, read 15,454,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I posted the same thing a few days ago. I hear you. They mess up my bracket every year, win or lose. This probably is close to vintage Kansas at this point because of the massive improvement of Malik Newman. But for much of the year, I didn't see it coming. .
I always pick Kansas to win. They rarely mess up my bracket.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:41 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,174,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
bait, but ill take it since its factually incorrect as they most often are.

Carter played 8 minutes in the 1st half due to fouls, clearly -not- every single call.
Well yes it was. It was my snide reply to the assertion that "the deck was stacked against Duke". saying the deck was stacked against Duke is like a guy holding 10 thru King of spades saying the deck was stacked against him because he drew the 9 of spades instead of the ace.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:54 PM

11,680 posts, read 7,085,609 times
Duke was competitive and it was anyone’s game. That’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or