U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 05:41 PM

929 posts, read 297,282 times

Advertisements

Oh golly, the whole "biased against one team" mantra when it comes to national announcers. People really going down that road when it comes to the legendary Nantz and Rafftery? Did not even seem to be the case with old Dukie Grant Hill. Give it a rest guys: and especially don't diss the greatest of all time, the Raff Man. Onions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
well if the cards analogy works for you then

Kansas was basically playing at home.
Kansas got -every- single call in OT including a non conclusive out of bounds reversal.
they fouled out 2 guys for Duke and got limited play time for Carter due to foul issues. so yes I stand by my argument that Duke had the deck stacked against them. Kansas was able to keep Bagley from being effective and Duke shot the 3 ball terrible..this was an excellent formula for Kansas to win.
The blocking call on Carter was baloney. I have stated too how much I hate replay and one of the big reasons was that absurd amount of time to overturn the possession call. Either it's obvious to overturn, or call stands and move on. But that review really hurt Duke minimally: cost them only about 6 seconds after the missed Kansas shot and Duke couldn't make anything those last two minutes.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:43 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0o-MbtJOSg

Michigan's answer to Sister Jean: Jalen Rose's trash-talking grandma

Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM

28,506 posts, read 15,466,875 times
That's pretty good... not a lot of trash-talk though... I was expecting grandma to show out with attitude like Fab-Five Jalen.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,129,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's pretty good... not a lot of trash-talk though... I was expecting grandma to show out with attitude like Fab-Five Jalen.
"Battle" of the centenarians (98 & 100)!

Old 03-29-2018, 06:16 PM

7,233 posts, read 8,241,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I posted the same thing a few days ago. I hear you. They mess up my bracket every year, win or lose. This probably is close to vintage Kansas at this point because of the massive improvement of Malik Newman. But for much of the year, I didn't see it coming. They appeared to be a weak one seed. The year they lost to Syracuse in the 03 final, they were a weak #2 seed and I never expected them to get that far. I thought they were the weakest of all the 4 one seeds (all made it to the Final 4) when they won it all in 08. Years off the top of my head where they were shocked despite being a strong #1 seed: 1997 and upset by eventual champ Arizona in the Sweet 16, 1998 w/ Paul Pierce and the shocking loss to URI in the 2nd round, 2010 in rd 2 vs Northern Iowa, 2011 in the Elite 8 vs VCU, 2016 a mild upset loss to Nova in the Elite 8. I took Kansas to win it, or close to it in those seasons. I give up.

I looked up these two squads as I have no memory of them. That 1996-97 team in particular amazes me. 1 regulation loss all year, 1!, with Paul Pierce on the roster, and they can't get past the sweet 16. So they have a history of actually doing this. Yup, sounds like Kansas.

In fairness, I know that Arizona team had NBA talent too (Terry, Bibby) but that just further proves the mystery of Kansas Basketball. Early out when everyone expects them to win it all, goes to Final 4 when they seemingly have a difficult path to get there.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I looked up these two squads as I have no memory of them. That 1996-97 team in particular amazes me. 1 regulation loss all year, 1!, with Paul Pierce on the roster, and they can't get past the sweet 16. So they have a history of actually doing this. Yup, sounds like Kansas.

In fairness, I know that Arizona team had NBA talent too (Terry, Bibby) but that just further proves the mystery of Kansas Basketball. Early out when everyone expects them to win it all, goes to Final 4 when they seemingly have a difficult path to get there.
You know what is a twist of irony? The 97 Kansas team was a concensus#1 all year and was far better than Arizona; they had a better player that year than Pierce, but don't recall his name. Zona shocks them in the Sweet 16. In 03, Arizona, along with Kentucky, were regarded as the runaway best teams all season; Kansas wasn't close to that level; lord and behold Kansas upsets Arizona in the Sweet 16 and comes within a basket of winning the national championship.
Kansas has some of the most shocking non 1st round losses (several of those too) in tournament history. URI in 98 and VCU in 11 were the tops I think. Most shocking of non 1st round games, I'd probably go with 1994 and Rd 2; Boston College derails defending champ UNC's shot at a 2nd straight title: a team that had both Rasheed Wallace and Jerry Stackhouse.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:59 AM

5,298 posts, read 3,327,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
You know what is a twist of irony? The 97 Kansas team was a concensus#1 all year and was far better than Arizona; they had a better player that year than Pierce, but don't recall his name.
Raef LaFrentz averaged 18.5 Pts, 9.3 Reb, that season, Pierce averaged 16.3 Pts, 6.8 Reb.

That 1996-1997 team, also had Scot Pollard and Jacque Vaugh and that one regular season loss, was at Missouri in double OT by 2 points. Probably one of the best, if not the best team ever at Kansas, of course they didn't win it all like Manning did in '88 with an average team. Kansas wasn't even ranked in the AP Poll going into that NCAA tourney in '88, they had a 21-11 record, then won 6 straight. It's all about the matchups!

Like I mentioned before, it's probably around 40% where the best team during the college basketball season wins the national title that year. I would say if Villanova wins it this year, they were probably one of the best teams this year, in a season with no one clear cut superior team like say the 2012 Kentucky team.

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-30-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Raef LaFrentz averaged 18.5 Pts, 9.3 Reb, that season, Pierce averaged 16.3 Pts, 6.8 Reb.

That 1996-1997 team, also had Scot Pollard and Jacque Vaugh and that one regular season loss, was at Missouri in double OT by 2 points. Probably one of the best, if not the best team ever at Kansas, of course they didn't win it all like Manning did in '88 with an average team. Kansas wasn't even ranked in the AP Poll going into that NCAA tourney in '88, they had a 21-11 record, then won 6 straight. It's all about the matchups!

Like I mentioned before, it's probably around 40% where the best team during the college basketball season wins the national title that year. I would say if Villanova wins it this year, they were probably one of the best teams this year, in a season with no one clear cut superior team like say the 2012 Kentucky team.
Leave it to cjseliga to bail me out! LaFrentz was the guy I was thinking of: haven't seen or heard his name mentioned in a long while. I remembered Vaugh and Pollard more so for some reason. That Kansas team doesn't seem to get much discussion when the topic of greatest teams not to win the tournament. Perhaps they lost too early in the tournament. Not flashy. A lot of close escapes despite just one loss (at least as I recall it). The 88 team, in a bit of irony, had to beat Kansas State in the regional final, in order to advance to Kansas City for the Final 4. Coached by Larry Brown, they beat KSU with Mitch Richmond, and another fellow Big 8 member, and a more talented Oklahoma squad in the Final. But Kansas had Danny Manning. Nobody has carried a team on its back to a title the way Manning did. Shabazz Napier may be the closest, 2014. Larry Bird always comes to mind also, but of course Indiana St came up one game shy.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:06 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,225,457 times
Here we go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or