U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 08:31 PM

929 posts, read 297,938 times

Advertisements

Villanova hasn't even attempted a free throw! Unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 09:09 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,000,381 times
A butt kicking took place here and Kansas provided the butt.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:21 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,336,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
And 39 of 47 points via the three. Crazy. Brunson is a stud and Spellman a beast. Michigan doesn't stand a chance.
Since the field expanded to 64 teams back in 1985, I think Michigan might be the first team to advance to the championship game without beating a top 5 seed, granted you can't pick who you play.

If Michigan plays like they did against Texas A&M, 99 points, 61.9% from the field and 14-24 from the 3s, they might have a chance against Villanova. Imagine if the game wasn't played in a dome/football stadium, Villanova might have been 25-40 from 3-point land tonight!

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-31-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Since the field expanded to 64 teams back in 1985, I think Michigan might be the first team to advance to the championship game without beating a top 5 seed, granted you can't pick who you play.

If Michigan plays like they did against Texas A&M, 99 points, 61.9% from the field and 14-24 from the 3s, they might have a chance against Villanova. Imagine if the game wasn't played in a dome/football stadium, Villanova might have been 25-40 from 3-point land tonight!
That is correct: Michigan is the first. I think at least, Houston was much better than a 6 seed and may very well be playing Villanova in the final Monday night if not for the missed free throws at the end and Poole's miracle shot. So Michigan hasn't exactly shined in the context of a team who will be playing for a national title. But the A&M game, they impressed. I'm sure they'll play better tomorrow than they did yesterday, but I can't see this being a very good match-up against Villanova. I think the shooting in a dome stadium issue is a thing of the past mostly, for a litany of reasons. For what its worth over a three game window, Villanova shot better in San Antonio than they did either game in Boston in an actual basketball-first facility.

Villanova upset #1 seed Michigan in the second round of the 85 tournament, on its way to that infamous Cinderella run to the championship. Only meeting in the NCAAs between the schools.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:51 AM

Fun Facts: Michigan will try to avoid in its 8th Final Four, tying Duke and Kansas for the most losses (6) in the national championship game. Of course the one they did win in 1989 with interim Steve Fisher is mired in plenty of controversy to this day- the phantom foul in the final seconds that sent Rumeal Robinson to the line with 3 seconds remaining and Seton Hall up a point. The official who made the call btw was John Clougherty, who today is the ACC Supervisor of Officials.

If Michigan wins, believe it or not- it would be the first national champion from the Big 10 since 2000 (Michigan State), which currently is the conference's only national champ since that 1989 season.

If Villanova wins, it would become only the second school with three or more national titles without a loss in the final. UConn is the other, with four. That however, comes with a caveat. Villanova had its 1971 runner-up finish vacated due to Howard Porter, the Final Four MVP at the time despite losing to UCLA, being discovered to have accepted a pro contract and already being paid. Big bidding war at the time happening between the NBA and ABA. Also note that Louisville is 2-0 in championship finals and not 3-0 per their 2013 title over Michigan being vacated.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 AM

17,332 posts, read 10,250,800 times
I knew i wasn't the only one annoyed with what sounded like car alarms blaring.

'Car-horn' buzzer at Final Four aggravates home viewers, confuses radio listeners in cars

Old 04-01-2018, 08:26 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,336,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I think the shooting in a dome stadium issue is a thing of the past mostly, for a litany of reasons. For what its worth over a three game window, Villanova shot better in San Antonio than they did either game in Boston in an actual basketball-first facility.

Villanova upset #1 seed Michigan in the second round of the 85 tournament, on its way to that infamous Cinderella run to the championship. Only meeting in the NCAAs between the schools.
Yeah, my dome comment was mostly in jest, I think it doesn't effect teams that much. I still remember the '96 tourney where Kentucky won, which was the last time an arena (Continental Airlines Arena in Jersey) was used to play the Final Four. With LA and Vegas building their new domed football stadiums, it won't be long before the Final Four gets back to the West Coast, I miss those Kingdome Final Fours in '84, '89 and '95!

Speaking of Villanova, over the last 5 years Jay Wright has taken them to next level great:

2013-14: #2 Seed lost in the 2nd Round (Final Record 29-5)
2014-15: #1 Seed lost in the 2nd Round (Final Record 33-3)
2015-16: #2 Seed won the National Title (Final Record 35-5)
2016-17: #1 Seed lost in the 2nd Round (Final Record 32-4)
2017-18: #1 Seed ?????????

If the teams only played a little better in '14, '15 and '17, who knows how many more Final Fours and National Titles they could of had, but then again I guess you can say that for most teams. If Nova wins it tomorrow, you can say when they are a high seed (#1 or #2) they will either win it all or lose in the 2nd Round!

Speaking of conference droughts, the Pac-12 hasn't won a men's basketball national title since Arizona in '97. UCLA did make it to three straight Final Fours (2006-2008) and Oregon got to one last year.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:29 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
MI has to hope Wagner can get the Nova bigs in foul trouble early

They also need to actually make threes from their guards.

Wagner can cover Spellman and Spellman has to recognize and make good passes to cutters for easy layups or kick outs

I think Bridges and even Roundtree may have some big buckets

Nova cant shoot that well two games in a row, but boy was that fun to watch

KS didn't even play that poorly, Nova was just on fire

When they are on no one can keep up with them

Brunson really sets the tone, was just fun to watch the execution and clean looks

Old 04-01-2018, 08:36 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I knew i wasn't the only one annoyed with what sounded like car alarms blaring.

'Car-horn' buzzer at Final Four aggravates home viewers, confuses radio listeners in cars

yes, strange

Maybe fitting for TX

weirdest player change signal have ever heard. I live in Philly and kept thinking someone was beeping outside, like an old Caddy horn or something

just odd

That laser intro was impressive however, looks like a great location as well Wish I would have mode the trip to watch Nova and the Final 4

Also was great to see the MI players and MI fans treat the Loyola #1 fan so well Kudos to MI and their fans and to Loyola for a great run

Cant wait to see Wagner play, that kid is fun to watch

Old 04-01-2018, 12:26 PM

18,055 posts, read 8,950,715 times
Go Villanova! Jay Wright is a great coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or