U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 PM

929 posts, read 296,904 times

Advertisements

If he hadn't already, Jay Wright enters the conversation for best coach in the game today. He has twice in three years had teams that aren't regarded as the best ever, say like 1990 UNLV. But each team with a mostly different cast of players, have played as well as a team over the course of six games each time in all the years of watching the NCAA Tournament. I would love to see more of an emphasis by major programs to target these sort of players, rather than focusing on likely one and dones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 07:00 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,323,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I would love to see more of an emphasis by major programs to target these sort of players, rather than focusing on likely one and dones.
Winning the men's college basketball national title with many one and dones is like catching lightning in a bottle. You might have some of the pieces, but they don't always fit together. I like the Villanova approach, I think you can have maybe one or two one and dones, but also have 2, 3 and 4 year players as well to really gel and have the team play as one or like a well-oiled machine.

2 teams that come to mind, where they "beat the odds" or bucked the one and done jinx, were the 2011-2012 Kentucky Wildcats and the 2014-2015 Duke Blue Devils. That Kentucky team had Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Marquis Teague all who left after one year and won the national title, but that team also had some older players as well. And that Duke team had Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, and Justise Winslow, all who left after their freshman year and winning the title as well. That team also had a freshman Grayson Allen, who eventually stayed for 4 years and a senior PG in Quinn Cook and junior PF in Amile Jefferson.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:13 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Black Thought's Villanova hype video dominated like Donte | NBC Sports Philadelphia

Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Winning the men's college basketball national title with many one and dones is like catching lightning in a bottle. You might have some of the pieces, but they don't always fit together. I like the Villanova approach, I think you can have maybe one or two one and dones, but also have 2, 3 and 4 year players as well to really gel and have the team play as one or like a well-oiled machine.

2 teams that come to mind, where they "beat the odds" or bucked the one and done jinx, were the 2011-2012 Kentucky Wildcats and the 2014-2015 Duke Blue Devils. That Kentucky team had Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and Marquis Teague all who left after one year and won the national title, but that team also had some older players as well. And that Duke team had Jahlil Okafor, Tyus Jones, and Justise Winslow, all who left after their freshman year and winning the title as well. That team also had a freshman Grayson Allen, who eventually stayed for 4 years and a senior PG in Quinn Cook and junior PF in Amile Jefferson.

for Nova a few questions remain

I expect Brunson (already graduated as a Jr.) and Bridges to enter the draft

Booth will be back

The questions for me become does

Spellman stay at least one more year?
The Big Ragu play off the hype and try to be a second rounder?
Pascal enter the draft, has some NBA potential?

For some of these guys where the NCAA fails IMHO is not allowing guys like these to get additional guidance on future planning - these later three are examples where the ability to get outside credible guidance would be so beneficial to them and also as a result the NCAA

I watched Calipari speak this weekend on the one and done and NCAA situation and while not a big fan he made some truly compelling arguments and comments on the state of the NCAA, and in this instance (not limited to the just the Nova players) I believe something has to be in place to allow for these types of players to get guidance outside of their family and team/coaches.

On Nova depending on who comes back can they make another run (assuming Spellman, Divincenzo, Booth, and Pascal all come back) with their incoming strong class and one year of experience with Gilespe, Roundtree and Samuels

https://247sports.com/college/villan...etball/Commits

and my alma matter PSU in the top 25 Wow

Kansas, Duke top way-too-early college basketball rankings for 2018-19 | NCAA Basketball | Sporting News

Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,323,312 times
There was a great article on The Ringer website about Villanova and their "Dynasty":

Nobody Saw This Villanova Dynasty Coming

There's also a short video in the article talking about Villanova's future and who might/should stay, who might/should go, who's coming in as freshmen and how they will be next year.

I wonder if any NBA teams will go after Jay Wright this summer?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:38 PM

7,231 posts, read 8,239,270 times
Congrats to Villanova and the 'Nova fans on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The women's game, on the other hand, was pretty amazing.
No kidding. I was rooting for Mississippi State to win their first national title in any sport, but you have to hand it to Notre Dame for continuing to chip away at the Bulldogs lead.

And yeah, that ending was incredible.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:58 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times
I’m on the fence about Duke and one-and-dones. They’ve been loading up on multiple high ranked players since 2015 and it has produced a championship, sweet 16, 2nd round loss and elite 8 (inches from a final four). I’m not sure if doing things another way can guarantee MORE success.

One thing that’s definitely exciting though is hearing about big names being landed, watching sure fire NBA talent play and having your team always start the year ranked in the top 5. Granted, watching players play for 3-4 years probably just as special if they can pull off a championship.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
College basketball has been too hard to watch. Way too much half court offense and too little scoring.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:51 PM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
College basketball has been too hard to watch. Way too much half court offense and too little scoring.
It helps to have some sort interest in a school and rivalry with other fans. For example, if you live in NC, there are plenty of NCST, Wake, Duke UNC fans to argue with. Once you’re into “your” school, the flash and total points scored is irrelevant. It’s all about winning within the parameters of the rule book (or maybe what you can get away with). If Duke plays UNC and beats them by a score of 26 to 24, I would be just as entertained as watching a 130-129 shootout in game 7 of the NBA finals. Also, each regular season game in a college season means a lot more...1 or 2 good/bad losses close together can have you rethinking the season/strategy/lineups/seeding, etc. BTW, I love to see teams that can slow things down and make a running team have to grind it out in the half court.

All in all, there’s a lot of work that must go in to making a college program consistently elite.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:21 PM

929 posts, read 296,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Really?? Guess I am watching a different game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or