U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 AM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's so strange seeing the Big Ten playing their conference tournament in NYC and also the ACC playing in NYC. Even the SEC playing in St. Louis and the Pac 12 playing in Las Vegas seem strange. At least in the case of the SEC they have a team in the state of Missouri.
Here's a great analysis by FiveThirtyEight about conference tournament locations:

The Ridiculousness Of Conference Tournament Locations, In 6 Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:38 AM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Does the Big East lose two #1 seeds with Xavier losing in OT

I think if Nova/Xavier played in the final regardless of the winner/loser both would have gotten ones
Nova is a one seed even if they lose tonight. So is Virginia for that matter, regardless of its outcome vs UNC. There is still a chance Xavier could be a one, but let's see what occurs with Kansas and UNC in its championship games tonight. Personally, I think Xavier is better than Kansas or UNC, but that's not exactly what matters.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,052 times
What's hilarious it seeing UNC predicted as a #2 seed BEFORE their game last night with Duke. They finished 6th in the ACC regular season yet their top 8 in the country?? Come again? That's the media bias at it's worst. Sure, if they beat UVA tonight then you have a conversation for the 2 seed but not yesterday before the game was even played.

Nevada losing last night took one more spot from an at-large.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 PM

3,748 posts, read 2,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
What's hilarious it seeing UNC predicted as a #2 seed BEFORE their game last night with Duke. They finished 6th in the ACC regular season yet their top 8 in the country?? Come again? That's the media bias at it's worst. Sure, if they beat UVA tonight then you have a conversation for the 2 seed but not yesterday before the game was even played.

Nevada losing last night took one more spot from an at-large.
UNC finished the season ranked 12th in the AP with one of the strongest/toughest schedules in the country.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 PM

929 posts, read 296,392 times
So the #1 seeds look set. Xavier should be fine despite its collapse versus Providence. Kansas hardly had the profile or look of a #1 seed, but nobody else was consistent enough to warrant it. Nova or Virginia will be the overall #1.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:25 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
So the #1 seeds look set. Xavier should be fine despite its collapse versus Providence. Kansas hardly had the profile or look of a #1 seed, but nobody else was consistent enough to warrant it. Nova or Virginia will be the overall #1.
I would give that #1 overall seed to Virginia and put them in the South Bracket. Tony Bennett's defenses are a thing of beauty, their offenses on the other hand, might put you to sleep most of the time, but not tonight! Anybody who can take Washington State to a Sweet 16, like he did in 2008, is a miracle worker in my book.

It will be interesting to see if they can finally make it to the Final Four under Tony and possibly win their 1st National Title in men's basketball, that would be nice. I wonder if they will play in either Charlotte or Pittsburgh the first weekend, since Charlottesville is almost equidistant between the two cities. If they are in the 'burgh, Villanova, another #1 seed will be there as well, in a different pod.

I was there in Charlotte in 2015 when they were the #2 Seed and lost to Michigan State, a #7 seed, in the round of 32. MSU eventually went on to the Final Four that year and lost to Duke, who also was playing in Charlotte that very same day, funny how the pod system worked out like that. I didn't think Virginia was supposed to be anything spectacular this season, predicted to be 6th in the ACC, and eventually ended up going 32-2 and 17-1 in conference.

The thing with Bennett and Virginia, when they have crazy, great teams, they don't seem to go far in the NCAA tourney, but when they have a team just below that, they seem to do better, I wonder what will happen this year, will the pressure get to them?

Old 03-10-2018, 11:02 PM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
so arizona beat USC 75-61 tonight. tough game going into the last five minutes when arizona started pulling away. so the cats get the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, we shall see where they get seeded though.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:10 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,047 times
Probably a 3, and #12 overall in the top 25. ... so Ayton gets his career high at 32 points last night, and repeats it tonight. I know they're not playing the best teams, but where has this strategy been all season? Just get the ball to him every single time and let him score. If Trier can also hit a few shots, that's just a bonus.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:53 AM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Probably a 3, and #12 overall in the top 25. ... so Ayton gets his career high at 32 points last night, and repeats it tonight. I know they're not playing the best teams, but where has this strategy been all season? Just get the ball to him every single time and let him score. If Trier can also hit a few shots, that's just a bonus.
thats the problem though, with ayton, teams are going to double and even triple team him to keep him from scoring and getting rebounds. the only thing that prevents them from getting too aggressive with that kind of defense is the rest of the team, specifically ristic and trier.

on thing to note though, if the cats can win their next six games, and if ayton can get double doubles in those game, not only will the cat win the national championship, but ayton will have 29 double doubles on the season, setting a new freshman record.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,047 times
well he seems to have a pretty good jump shot too, sometimes even hits a 3. He's taller than almost everyone, so I just don't see someone stopping him if he's on and they use the right strategy. I guess I haven't seen how a team like Villanova or Duke would match up against them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or