U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 AM

929 posts, read 296,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I would give that #1 overall seed to Virginia and put them in the South Bracket. Tony Bennett's defenses are a thing of beauty, their offenses on the other hand, might put you to sleep most of the time, but not tonight! Anybody who can take Washington State to a Sweet 16, like he did in 2008, is a miracle worker in my book.

It will be interesting to see if they can finally make it to the Final Four under Tony and possibly win their 1st National Title in men's basketball, that would be nice. I wonder if they will play in either Charlotte or Pittsburgh the first weekend, since Charlottesville is almost equidistant between the two cities. If they are in the 'burgh, Villanova, another #1 seed will be there as well, in a different pod.

I was there in Charlotte in 2015 when they were the #2 Seed and lost to Michigan State, a #7 seed, in the round of 32. MSU eventually went on to the Final Four that year and lost to Duke, who also was playing in Charlotte that very same day, funny how the pod system worked out like that. I didn't think Virginia was supposed to be anything spectacular this season, predicted to be 6th in the ACC, and eventually ended up going 32-2 and 17-1 in conference.

The thing with Bennett and Virginia, when they have crazy, great teams, they don't seem to go far in the NCAA tourney, but when they have a team just below that, they seem to do better, I wonder what will happen this year, will the pressure get to them?
Bennett is a great coach, even if he has not gotten to a Final Four (yet). That probably is the biggest game-related national story worth following heading into the tourney. I saw him play at Wisconsin-GB when his dad coached there. The defenses these guys are able to coach and instill in their players is amazing and consistently great. I don't know what happened that last 8 minutes in the regional final against Syracuse. Virginia was clearly the better team all year and the first 32 minutes of that game. That was a terrible loss two years ago for sure. But many all-time coaches have gone thru this at some early juncture of their careers. Whether its not getting to the Final 4, or coming up short in the Final 4, or too often: Jim Calhoun, Dean Smith, Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Lute Olsen.

I wouldn't bet against Virginia and Villanova. Nova has also impressed me defensively in the last few weeks ever since late in the first half of its first win against Butler. They look like a different team from the one going thru a semi-rut (by its standards) prior to that. No doubt, one game into the tourney and some times these teams do that old Jeckyl and Hyde routine and you swear, they are different players in the same unis. Unfamiliar opponent, unfamiliar arena, unfamiliar start times and time zone aspects, etc... . But I gotta say these two teams are better than most of the next tier of teams. Xavier (who in fact won the regular season crown and not Nova), Arizona (who won't be seeded better than third because of some early season bumps) have high ceilings as well. But for the most part, the 2 thru about 8 seeded teams this year are going to be the weakest ever, imo. We talk about parity every year and how the tourney is "wide open". Yes I agree, but is been like that for years for the most part. Looking at some of the mock brackets, if I were to count Kansas as the third or fourth #1 seed and working my way til about the 8 seeds, this is the weakest crop of teams overall I think I can remember. This has the potential again to have a scenario with a Final 4 that includes a team or two that are among the last at-larges included- like a 2016 Syracuse, 2011 VCU, 2006 George Mason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thats the problem though, with ayton, teams are going to double and even triple team him to keep him from scoring and getting rebounds. the only thing that prevents them from getting too aggressive with that kind of defense is the rest of the team, specifically ristic and trier.

on thing to note though, if the cats can win their next six games, and if ayton can get double doubles in those game, not only will the cat win the national championship, but ayton will have 29 double doubles on the season, setting a new freshman record.
I can see this being another Carmelo Anthony situation. Or when Danny Manning (not a freshman) carried Kansas on his back as only a 6 seed straight to a national title. Arizona and Michigan are the teams I'd most likely put my money on that aren't projected right now to be a #1 or #2 seed. In fact both of them scare me more than any of the likely 2 seeds, or Kansas.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,319,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
well he seems to have a pretty good jump shot too, sometimes even hits a 3. He's taller than almost everyone, so I just don't see someone stopping him if he's on and they use the right strategy. I guess I haven't seen how a team like Villanova or Duke would match up against them though.
I think besides obviously double teaming him most of the time, teams will try, I'm not saying they will succeed, to get him into foul trouble. If he gets two quick fouls in the 1st half, Miller is going to sit him down for a long time. The best way, and maybe the only way to beat Ayton, is to not have him on the court!

My big concern is the way the refs call the game when Ayton plays. In the Pac-12 the refs "know him" and for the most part don't call ticky-tack fouls, but in these NCAA tourney games, they assign refs who might never have called one of his games. Ayton just needs to play smart, depending on how the game is being called.

I would love, and many others might agree, to see Arizona vs. Duke and Ayton vs. Bagley, that would be epic! They were both high school teammates once, for a short time (I saw them play together in the fall of 2015 in Tucson against Pima Community College), with Ayton being a year ahead of Bagley, then Bagley reclassified.

They are probably going #1 and #2 in the June NBA draft. Have former high school teammates ever gone 1-2 in the same NBA draft?

Last edited by cjseliga; 03-11-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 AM

32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
well he seems to have a pretty good jump shot too, sometimes even hits a 3. He's taller than almost everyone, so I just don't see someone stopping him if he's on and they use the right strategy. I guess I haven't seen how a team like Villanova or Duke would match up against them though.
ristic is a better outside shooter(beyond 15ft) than ayton is, mostly because he is more consistent with his shooting, but then that is the european game that ristic grew up playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think besides obviously double teaming him most of the time, teams will try, I'm not saying they will succeed, to get him into foul trouble. If he gets two quick fouls in the 1st half, Miller is going to sit him down for a long time. The best way, and maybe the only way to beat Ayton, is to not have him on the court!

My big concern is the way the refs call the game when Ayton plays. In the Pac-12 the refs "know him" and for the most part don't call ticky-tack fouls, but in these NCAA tourney games, they assign refs who might never have called one of his games. Ayton just needs to play smart, depending on how the game is being called.

I would love, and many others might agree, to see Arizona vs. Duke and Ayton vs. Bagley, that would be epic! They were both high school teammates once, for a short time (I saw them play together in the fall of 2015 in Tucson against Pima Community College), with Ayton being a year ahead of Bagley, then Bagley reclassified.

They are probably going #1 and #2 in the June NBA draft. Have former high school teammates ever gone 1-2 in the same NBA draft?
well early in the season, ayton did have occasions where he had foul trouble, but he learned quickly then to clean up his game and use more finesse than brute force, and to control his emotions better as well, and after the 6th or 7th game hasnt really been in foul trouble for the most part.

but the problem for other teams is that just because ayton hits the bench, doesnt meant they can relax, because ristic steps up, and miller put keanu pinder into the game, and pinder tends to be a spark plug and gives the team a lift.

as for the pac12 refs go, they call a ton of ticky-tack fouls, and they call fouls the wrong way more often than not. this season though has been different, the pac12 officials have been letting teams play more than they have in the past. if ayton had played last year, chances are he would have fouled out of a number of games, so this year has been different.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM

Well, Davidson in a nail biter over URI, meaning probably either Louisville or Middle Tennessee State were just detoured to the NIT. If it is Louisville, the irony is that Davidson did with .09 seconds left what Louisville should have done with .09 seconds left against Virginia last week.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Wow, how much is Jim Boeheim paying the selection committee? Or better question, how many members have Syracuse connections? This is twice in three years! And this format TBS is using to first announce all the schools is idiotic. We already knew almost all of them.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:31 PM

Virginia is the overall #1 seed, then you have an early potential Kentucky-Arizona match-up in the second round- all this just on the top portion of the south bracket. Already I'm having a hard time seeing the committee doing a decent job this year, as the regions will not be well-balanced.
Also, if a 16 seed is ever to beat a 1 seed, I think a lot depended on a committee mis-seeding vs an ho-hum type of one seed. We got that with Kansas vs Penn. I'm pretty shocked to see Penn as a 16 seed.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 03-11-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 06:58 PM

32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
what was the committee smoking? the three pac12 teams in the tournament are arizona, ucla, and asu? arizona for sure,, they won the regular season championship as well as the tournament. ucla i can see they have been doing well all season, though they faded a bit at the end. but asu? really? they started fading after the cats beat them in the season opener. usc and oregon both would have been much better choices. in fact one could make a better case for utah over asu in the tournament. was bobby hurley on the selection committee?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 PM

Oklahoma- we know why; but whether you believe they belong in or not, you CANNOT justify them over Oklahoma State. Makes no sense. USC? Not the best resume, but left out in favor of Syracuse???

Very intriguing 1st round match-up between Bama and Va Tech. That is too close to call. Some like Kansas State vs Creighton, I feel like your just picking the lesser of two evils. Kentucky vs Zona? Wow. Houston vs Michigan in the second round? Uggh- I hate when two of my favorites to make a deep run somehow always get paired early, while I look at other sub-brackets and I think the teams are all 'meh'.I'm leaning towards believing a Loyola vs Nevada match-up will occur in the Sweet 16, as the highest three seeded teams on the bottom end of the south draw- Tennessee, Cinci, and Miami don't instill much fear in me.

Virginia actually has an easy road, contrary to my earlier post, but the regional semi potentially vs Kentucky or Zona is a real toughie for an overall #1 seed to contend with that early in the tournament. I think Villanova got an easy region. The midwest is probably the toughest, though none of the four regions stand out to me and scream, "Murderer's Row". Seton Hall beating Kansas and Mizzou beating Xavier in second round match-ups are distinct possibilities.

Finally, if Providence and UNC both win, Ed Cooley must be thinking how in pray tell to avoid UNC?- even both go out west the same year. PC and UNC already played two first round games in recent years, including a classic the first go-around.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:29 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,319,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm
but asu? really? they started fading after the cats beat them in the season opener.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the committee about ASU, but trying to figure out "the why" they obviously weighed the non-conference wins more heavily than the conference wins, considering USC finished 2nd in the Pac-12 going 12-6 and ASU finished tied for 8th going 8-10.

Basically, ASU beating Kansas, Xavier, Kansas St. and San Diego St, was better than USC beating New Mexico St., Middle Tennessee State and Cal St. Fullerton in their non-conference and USC also lost to Princeton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or