U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 AM

2,834 posts, read 1,773,882 times

Advertisements

I thought I had my brackets and Cinderella teams figured out but...Davidson/Kentucky and WVU/Murray State. These will be outstanding games and I would have picked all four to the next round. Bucknell is going to give Michigan State all it can handle.

I originally was going to stay away from North Carolina but they got a ton of help with their draw out west. Houston is tough. Michigan when they are ON can be a Final 4 team, but that top is weak Xavier, OSU, Gonzaga

These games scream out to me...
Bonnies (if they beat UCLA) over Florida.
Loyola Chicago over Miami.
NM State over Clemson
Charleston over Auburn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 AM

929 posts, read 296,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I thought I had my brackets and Cinderella teams figured out but...Davidson/Kentucky and WVU/Murray State. These will be outstanding games and I would have picked all four to the next round. Bucknell is going to give Michigan State all it can handle.

I originally was going to stay away from North Carolina but they got a ton of help with their draw out west. Houston is tough. Michigan when they are ON can be a Final 4 team, but that top is weak Xavier, OSU, Gonzaga

These games scream out to me...
Bonnies (if they beat UCLA) over Florida.
Loyola Chicago over Miami.
NM State over Clemson
Charleston over Auburn
Wow; same upsets I have! Actually, I am going back and forth on Auburn-Charleston. I hate how always teams I like for deep runs get grouped together (such as Houston-Michigan matchup potentially in 2nd round). But then teams I don't have a lot of confidence in, I have going deep. I have Seton Hall in the Elite 8. I have been back and forth on them all season, and am going to take a swing with the Pirates, because it's side of the bracket is not inspiring.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Nevada as a 7 seed leaves my head scratching also. Should be one of the last teams in. I am sick of the committee too, minimizing the regular season and particularly conference results. The schedules are unbalanced, I get it. If it was Oklahoma compared to St Marys, it tends to be apples to oranges. But comparing what USC did vs Arizona St and Oklahoma St did vs Oklahoma was easy to decipher. No excuse to have those latter teams in, but not the formers. But I would still make a case for Oklahoma or ASU before Syracuse. Syracuse should have been a lock NOT to get in.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM

88 posts, read 28,162 times
Oklahoma State won 2 of 3 against Oklahoma this year and swept Kansas this season and OU still made it in over them. The Trae Young bias is real because the NCAA rather picked television ratings over quality.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Wow; same upsets I have! Actually, I am going back and forth on Auburn-Charleston. I hate how always teams I like for deep runs get grouped together (such as Houston-Michigan matchup potentially in 2nd round). But then teams I don't have a lot of confidence in, I have going deep. I have Seton Hall in the Elite 8. I have been back and forth on them all season, and am going to take a swing with the Pirates, because it's side of the bracket is not inspiring.
I may or may not pull the trigger on Auburn-Charleston. I wasn't big on Auburn, Clemson, Arizona, Purdue, Kansas before the brackets

I think the Syracuse/ASU winner can take out TCU too. ASU matches up well with the Syracuse zone.

I like Seton Hall too. Last five games- won on the road at Providence and Saint Johns. Split a tough Butler, lost by 1 to Nova. Big East is legit this year.

Houston is the best out of the AAC- I know they lost to Cincy yesterday and having watched a ton of Big Ten basketball. Michigan has it or they don't have it- they had it in Big Ten Tournament. That will be two weeks removed. I watched them play NW in January and I thought they were easily NIT bound- they can struggle offensively against bad defensive teams. Houston is a good defensive team. Hard to back like Michigan all the way out with their spells of bad play.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Nevada as a 7 seed leaves my head scratching also. Should be one of the last teams in. I am sick of the committee too, minimizing the regular season and particularly conference results. The schedules are unbalanced, I get it. If it was Oklahoma compared to St Marys, it tends to be apples to oranges. But comparing what USC did vs Arizona St and Oklahoma St did vs Oklahoma was easy to decipher. No excuse to have those latter teams in, but not the formers. But I would still make a case for Oklahoma or ASU before Syracuse. Syracuse should have been a lock NOT to get in.
I actually get the 7 seed.
Mountain West was garbage this year- Nevada didn't win the tournament- they won the Reg. season though) and I couldn't place them ahead of Houston (6 seed). Nevada is going to beat Texas up (double digits)

Purdue 2 over MSU 3 (won Regular season) was surprising to me. MSU is a better team and Michigan 3 seed and OSU 5 seed can both be tougher matchup for teams.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I actually get the 7 seed.
Mountain West was garbage this year- Nevada didn't win the tournament- they won the Reg. season though) and I couldn't place them ahead of Houston (6 seed). Nevada is going to beat Texas up (double digits)

Purdue 2 over MSU 3 (won Regular season) was surprising to me. MSU is a better team and Michigan 3 seed and OSU 5 seed can both be tougher matchup for teams.
I don't know, Nevada has a win over Rhody, but their overall rest of the resume is shaky. I know I can get overly analytical at times, but also Penn not a 14 or 15 at worst, seems odd (watch out Kansas), and if UVA is the overall one seed, shouldn't they be playing one of the winners of the play-in games in Dayton?

I liked Purdue most of the year and as much as I don't want to pick against Butler, that's a bad matchup for Butler, as Purdue already substantiated, blowing out Butler back in December. I could understand them being a 3 and not a 2 after their poor play down the stretch. I think they got a very good draw to the Elite 8. Maybe they'll find their old form. But then again, this is Purdue, a perennially awful tourney team since the Gene Keady days.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:57 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,256,850 times
Too bad Wisconsin failed to qualify for the tournament but this will be interesting

Old 03-12-2018, 11:26 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times
Purdue has a soft path to the elite 8. We could get an Ohio State-Michigan matchup in the elite 8. A first weekend Arizona-Kentucky matchup looks nice. The Kentucky Wildcats have the opportunity to go through the Davidson Wildcats, the Arizona Wildcats, and the Villanova Wildcats.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Purdue has a soft path to the elite 8. We could get an Ohio State-Michigan matchup in the elite 8. A first weekend Arizona-Kentucky matchup looks nice. The Kentucky Wildcats have the opportunity to go through the Davidson Wildcats, the Arizona Wildcats, and the Villanova Wildcats.

Cat crazy

shame Northwestern isn't in

there sure are a lot of wildcats

As a Nova fan Purdue scares me (as doe WVU) in the east.

Purdue reminds a bit of Whisky from last year for Nova
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or