U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,777,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Purdue has a soft path to the elite 8. We could get an Ohio State-Michigan matchup in the elite 8. A first weekend Arizona-Kentucky matchup looks nice. The Kentucky Wildcats have the opportunity to go through the Davidson Wildcats, the Arizona Wildcats, and the Villanova Wildcats.
Iím a buckeye fan and this is an awful draw.

First the SD State has a really good athletic big, which gives this team problems. Unless we stay committed to going small and putting Bates Diop on him.

Second round Gonzaga dismantled the Buckeyes early this year. I know it was before the Buckeyes figured things out but their balance should beat the Buckeyes.

Kentucky draw is awful. Davidson can shoot the lights out and Arizona is just as athletic. I actually think the Davidson matchup will be tougher on them. And the Virginia awaits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 09:19 AM

929 posts, read 296,904 times
We all know about the propensity for 12 seeds beating 5 seeds. S. Dakota State will beat Ohio State. I have a fair amount of confidence New Mexico State beats Clemson. Some confidence as well in Davidson beating Kentucky, but Kentucky is still my pick. Hopefully I am wrong. I can't stomach Calipari's diatribes, particularly somehow complaining about being a 5 seed and playing Arizona potentially. Both are seeded correctly and SOMEBODY has to be paired against Arizona.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Hopefully I am wrong. I can't stomach Calipari's diatribes, particularly somehow complaining about being a 5 seed and playing Arizona potentially. Both are seeded correctly and SOMEBODY has to be paired against Arizona.
I agree Arizona was seeded correctly, but I think placed in the wrong region, they should have been in the West and swapped spots with Gonzaga.

Having said that and being an Arizona alum, and the whole "SoCal LA/Anaheim jinx curse" thing over the last 15 years with them losing to:

Kansas in 2003 in the E8 in Anaheim
Connecticut in 2011 in the E8 in Anaheim
Ohio State in 2013 in the S16 in LA
Wisconsin in 2014 in the E8 in Anaheim
Wisconsin in 2015 in the E8 in LA

maybe being placed in the South is a "good" thing!

It won't be easy, but it'll be fun.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:19 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,777,608 times
Quote:
We all know about the propensity for 12 seeds beating 5 seeds. S. Dakota State will beat Ohio State. I have a fair amount of confidence New Mexico State beats Clemson. Some confidence as well in Davidson beating Kentucky, but Kentucky is still my pick. Hopefully I am wrong. I can't stomach Calipari's diatribes, particularly somehow complaining about being a 5 seed and playing Arizona potentially. Both are seeded correctly and SOMEBODY has to be paired against Arizona.
I'm definitely picking NM St. they can defend the perimeter well enough to disrupt Clemson. Clemson is not the Clemson of a few months ago.

I took OSU. I think OSU will feast down low and with the mid-range game (bread in butter is Bates Diop, Tate and Wesson around the bucket)- they may even be able to get Daum in foul trouble. And I think Bates Diop is tough enough, well-rested to play elite defense or well enough on Daum. Then you one of the best upcoming coaches in the game Holtman. OSU is going to have trouble with skilled length and scoring balance (see Penn State) Gonzaga is just around the corner.

I'm going Davidson. They execute on offense. They don't commit dumb fouls, which will be very important. This is an awful matchup for Kentucky who played a fair share of uber athletic somewhat undisciplined SEC squads. Davidson is the opposite and I think they were slightly better the last month than two really good teams in their conference that will make some noise.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,511,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Iím a buckeye fan and this is an awful draw.

First the SD State has a really good athletic big, which gives this team problems. Unless we stay committed to going small and putting Bates Diop on him.

Second round Gonzaga dismantled the Buckeyes early this year. I know it was before the Buckeyes figured things out but their balance should beat the Buckeyes.

Kentucky draw is awful. Davidson can shoot the lights out and Arizona is just as athletic. I actually think the Davidson matchup will be tougher on them. And the Virginia awaits
Ohio State's trajectory has been a bit disappointing. They beat Purdue and crushed Michigan State. Jumped from not being top 25 in years to being #8 in the country. Then they lose to #22 Michigan and unranked Penn State 3 times. They're just moving in the wrong direction.

Arizona has potential if they keep up their pac-12 tourney strategy: get the ball to Ayton over and over and over again.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Deandre Hunter is out for Virginia (broken wrist). ACC 6th Man of the Year- maybe the team's best NBA prospect. I don't think this writes off Virginia as a Final 4 team, but the path just got much harder. Do recall, for what it is worth, Chris Boucher didn't play in last season's tournament with Oregon, and the Ducks still made it to the semis.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 PM

From just the slivers I saw of Radford's win tonight, the NCAA amazingly continues to be tone deaf. Stop the ticky tack foul calls. If the officiating continues to be like this and coming off the fiasco of last year's championship game, ratings will drop. I don't get why that's so difficult to understand.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,728 times
Quote:
Deandre Hunter is out for Virginia (broken wrist). ACC 6th Man of the Year- maybe the team's best NBA prospect. I don't think this writes off Virginia as a Final 4 team, but the path just got much harder. Do recall, for what it is worth, Chris Boucher didn't play in last season's tournament with Oregon, and the Ducks still made it to the semis.
Yes, I think this is a major blow for Virginia. I was pretty high on this being the Bennett team that makes the Final Four, but now I have my doubts. You are right, it is not impossible, but it just got a lot more difficult...

Old 03-14-2018, 04:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yes, I think this is a major blow for Virginia. I was pretty high on this being the Bennett team that makes the Final Four, but now I have my doubts. You are right, it is not impossible, but it just got a lot more difficult...
Yeah, when you lose your 4th leading scorer on the team, who accounts for 1/7 of the team's total points per game, it's never a good thing. They need for others to step up and fill that void.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:19 AM

I have my doubts about Virginia, but I really do want to see them get that monkey of their back. I enjoy watching Butler, UVA, and Villanova, and I think Nova-UVA was a realistic final. We'll see. I'm actually leaning towards Purdue as well finding its old form and beating Villanova in the east region, and talk about trying to get a monkey of its back, when it comes to Purdue! Early round games, even when there are wide seed disparities between the teams, are harder than ever to project the outcomes. Not to mention, this season, we've got a lot of injuries and uncertain statuses and health of important players at other schools besides Virginia: Alabama, Texas, Nevada, Missouri, Kansas State to name a few.

I think the most difficult sub bracket for me in the early rounds is in the west with Michigan. Between them, San Diego St, and Houston, only one can make the Sweet 16. And in the case of the San Diego State-Houston match-up, I think the winner could very well be in the Final 4 in what should be a doozy- yet one will be out on the first day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or