U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 06:59 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,991,509 times

Advertisements

OK, here we go. Post away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 07:25 PM

929 posts, read 297,530 times
Despite the scandals, the games themselves will still be exciting, albeit hopefully the officials get the memo once and for all and stop over-officiating like they did in last season's national final.
In regards to the start of conference tournaments, I did a double take the other day when I saw some afternoon weekday Big 10 games scheduled. Then I realized the Big 10 tournament had begun. I couldn't believe it. A week early. Turns out, they wanted to showcase it at Madison Square Garden, and to make this anomaly happen, they had to schedule it before the Big East Tournament. The NCAA Tournament participants will have any where from a week-and-a-half to over two weeks of rust to shake off. Not sure if this was smart of them. And boy, do I miss the days when conferences were regional and smaller; and geographic location meant something.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM

I can't get over this weird feeling to this Big 10 tournament; Nantz and the Raff man doing the final tomorrow a week before the selections. Nevertheless, Purdue has been a definite contender all season and Michigan has really been on the upswing. Beilein is one of the very best coaches in the business; and maybe the most underrated as well.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,331,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Then I realized the Big 10 tournament had begun. I couldn't believe it. A week early. Turns out, they wanted to showcase it at Madison Square Garden, and to make this anomaly happen, they had to schedule it before the Big East Tournament.
Yeah, with the NYC metroplex, you basically have three arenas that could host a post-season conference tournament, MSG, Barclays in Brooklyn and Prudential in Newark. Of course MSG is the marquee name, Brooklyn has that "hipster vibe" and well Newark, is the odd person out.

Like you mentioned, with the Big East having a long term deal with MSG for their conference tournament and the ACC using Barclays for the second year in a row (they go back to North Carolina in 2019 and 2020), there wasn't too much the Big 10 could do, if they wanted to play in NYC, but move up their tournament a week to play in MSG.

I liked it when they played the Big 10 tourney in either Chicago and Indianapolis, but with Rutgers joining the league (along with Maryland, they played the Big 10 tourney in DC last year) and trying to tap into that #1 media market in the US, I wasn't surprised they did what they did this year. Over the next 4 years, the Big 10 tourney alternates between Chicago and Indianapolis.

It's interesting on how much the Big 10 and the ACC wants that NYC market!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:25 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,627,411 times
I despise the ACC playing in Brooklyn, as a fan. From a business perspective I get it but from literally any other perspective it doesn't make sense. I know cry baby Jimmy Boeheim doesn't like Greensboro or probably any other place outside NY but that's the heart of the ACC. At least this way he has a shorter ride home after not winning a game in the tourney per the usual I suppose? lol

The NCAA tournament this year will be wide open. There are no teams that stand out as THE powerhouse that everyone will have to go through. I could certainly see one or more top 2 seeds going down in the first weekend this year. Would be hard to wager money on these games but will be a lot of fun to watch!

Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM

3,179 posts, read 4,645,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I can't get over this weird feeling to this Big 10 tournament; Nantz and the Raff man doing the final tomorrow a week before the selections. Nevertheless, Purdue has been a definite contender all season and Michigan has really been on the upswing. Beilein is one of the very best coaches in the business; and maybe the most underrated as well.

I've got to give recognition to Rutgers making the run they did while being outgunned talent wise. I tuned into the Purdue/Rutgers game as a casual, but curious observer just to see if Rutgers was for real. They put on one hell of an effort for a #14 seed. As someone who follows the Big 10, they're the team I normally care the least about. For one game though, I became a fan just because of how they laid in on the line.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Yes times have changed, but the Big 10 Tourney should only be held in Indy or Chicago. The ACC Tourney should only be held in the mid-Atlantic, perhaps Atlanta as well. The old Big East conference to the new version always has been held at MSG. But with the new alignment, that one I'm less inclined to worry about, since many of the old mainstays in the northeast have departed and half the schools are in the midwest. The Big 10 still feels as though it belongs in the midwest despite the presence of Rutgers and Maryland. The ACC still fells like Tobacco Road, even with Syracuse, Pitt, and BC as members. The conference realignments have what made me lose some of my love for college basketball more than anything else that has been going on.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:08 PM

3,962 posts, read 2,514,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I despise the ACC playing in Brooklyn, as a fan. From a business perspective I get it but from literally any other perspective it doesn't make sense. I know cry baby Jimmy Boeheim doesn't like Greensboro or probably any other place outside NY but that's the heart of the ACC. At least this way he has a shorter ride home after not winning a game in the tourney per the usual I suppose? lol

The NCAA tournament this year will be wide open. There are no teams that stand out as THE powerhouse that everyone will have to go through. I could certainly see one or more top 2 seeds going down in the first weekend this year. Would be hard to wager money on these games but will be a lot of fun to watch!
I dont know if I despise it, but I am totally with you: I don't like it. It feels the same way to me as well--the ACC Tourney has to be held in the mid-Atlantic, right?

Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Well, so much for Michigan a few weeks ago I thought, being a good dark horse candidate. They are a 3 seed at worst, perhaps a 2. Beilein is a helluva coach- perhaps he should be credited with winning a national title given that Louisville's banner has been declared null and void? Purdue at the same token doesn't look these days to be the team I saw in January. No longer a consideration for a one, and looking slow- much like all Purdue teams thru the years, who always fall flat in March.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:03 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,781,508 times
Very Tough year...

On one hand you have really good defensive teams that when we get down to the Sweet Sixteen/Elite Games do they have enough offense?

Virginia, Cincy, Michigan and WVU (pressure game).

Then you have Great Offensive teams that if they could only tighten it up.

Duke, X.

I think Nova, Purdue and NC, Mich. St, Kansas will stumble. They are all flawed in some ways. Purdue you can game plan. Nova doesn't have the go to guy this year.

I think Zona, Ohio State, Texas Tech should be seeded to do well but will likely win maybe one game.

Florida and Houston are my sleepers this year.

Murray State, Loyola Chicago, Saint Bonn, Middle Tenn can all win a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or