U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times

Advertisements

With 3 pt shooting getting hot at the right time can be huge. The Rockets could easily steal a few games if everything they throw up is going in. If they go up say 2-0...who knows. You’ve also gotta think Paul and Beard will be hungry as they’ve both mostly flopped in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM

498 posts, read 142,143 times
Possible but highly unlikely. Should the Warriors be at full strength come playoff time, I don't see anyone preventing them from repeating as champions this year. That being said, the Rockets are having a heck of a season this year, and I see them getting the first seed in the West. Houston will for sure give the Warriors a run for their money in a playoff series. However, the playoffs are a much different game than the regular season. James Harden has excelled in the first round of the playoffs every year, but then he is questionable after the first round. I think the biggest threat to the Warriors this year is the Boston Celtics.

Should the Warriors and Rockets meet up in the Western Conference Finals, I'd have to say Warriors win the series in six games. Golden State is definitely not going to sweep Houston.

In the Finals, I see a Warriors-Celtics match up. For that series, Warriors in seven games.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
its possible but ONLY if they hold the 1 seed

im not sold on the rockets for a couple of reasons. 1st and foremost, d'antoni is a terrible playoffs coach. he is a regular season monster though.
2nd harden and paul are both questionable in the playoffs as well.

the warriors are built for the playoffs though they are getting tired from multiple runs to the finals.

all that said, either team, rockets or warriors coming out of the west are going to murder the east to win the title. no doubt.
The Celtics and Raptors are doing pretty well this year. Either one would give Golden State or Houston a fight. After those two rough losses with Curry sitting out due to an ankle injury, I think it's safe to say that Houston gets the first seed. Should Golden State be at full strength though, I see them repeating. Nonetheless, Houston is the biggest threat to them in the West, and will definitely push the Warriors to six games. Boston and Toronto are also pretty big threats to the Warriors. Either one of them facing Golden State in the Finals would make for one heck of a match-up. Should Golden State face Toronto, I would say Warriors in six. However, if the Warriors face the Celtics, I think the Warriors would win, but not before being pushed to the full seven games. Boston has proven to be a threat to the Warriors in the last few years. In the very unlikely circumstance that Houston does manage to dethrone the Warriors, it would still take about the same number of games for the Rockets to defeat either the Raptors or the Celtics. We'll just have to wait until the playoffs start in April to see what happens.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes, they can beat the Warriors, but I doubt they will. No, they do not have more shooters nor do they have a better team.

This is a series that could possibly go 7 games. I don't see it being less than 6.
Golden State would win for sure should they be fully healthy. There is no way that Houston would just let the Warriors breeze right past them. Sweeping the Rockets would be an extremely daunting task for the Warriors. I don't think the Warriors will let it go seven games though. They will try to get it done in no more than six games so they can have at least some rest for their next opponent. Going seven games can increase the chance of an injury to a key player. That being said, a Warriors and Rockets series would be fun to watch, regardless of how many games the series goes.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Yes they can. If they do, it will be due to their array of long and mobile defenders, and especially because of Capela's versatility. Obviously they have a potent offense. Their defense is also respectable. The array of matchup possibilities in this series is dazzling. We will see, and if the Basketball Gods give us a healthy series, it will be epic.

I don't think home court will make a huge difference here. Focus and execution will be big, and lineup adjustments will also be a factor.

D'Antoni has not often had quality teams. When he had quality teams in Phoenix, they were very competitive in the playoffs. This looks like the best team he has ever coached.

CP3 has been individually brilliant in almost every playoffs he has played. He had his biggest struggles against the peak Grit & Grind Grizzlies. Of course, the Clips were never as good as people hoped they would be as a team. Harden has always seen some dropoff in the playoffs. I think the #1 reason is that defenders usually are allowed more contact and defenses have had little to fear aside from Harden in Houston. I think this year will be different.

I think Houston has more players who are decent to good shooters. It just doesn't have shooters who are as good as the Warriors' shooters. All 3 of the Warriors' volume shooters are over 42%. Houston has no one shooting over 40%.

The Warriors have better top-end talent. Their big 4 should all play in the high 30s to low 40s in the series, and all provide big boosts to the team. Harden and Paul will probably see those kinds of minutes. I'm not sure anyone else on the Rockets will. Anderson, Gordon, and Green are all liabilities on the defensive end. Tucker, Mbah a Moute, and Nene are all very limited on the offensive end. It will be a chess match for D'Antoni to maximize those players' contributions while Kerr tries to expose their limitations.
Regardless of what happens, this will be a fun series to watch. I would like to see a Warriors and Rockets Conference Finals because I would like to see Chris Paul get there for the first time. He's never been past the second round.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The Rocket can beat the Warriors. Will they is another question altogether. I'm very skeptical of their heavy isolation approach. I'm skeptical of Harden and Paul in the playoffs. I'm also very skeptical of D'Antoni as a playoff coach. I know it will be a heck of series. And I'm looking forward to it.
I'm looking forward to it too. The Warriors and Rockets will for sure give us a series worth watching. I think it'll be Warriors in six games. There's just no way they'll sweep Houston, not after the Rockets have beaten them twice already this year.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
With 3 pt shooting getting hot at the right time can be huge. The Rockets could easily steal a few games if everything they throw up is going in. If they go up say 2-0...who knows. You’ve also gotta think Paul and Beard will be hungry as they’ve both mostly flopped in the playoffs.
It will be a great series for sure. Can't wait to see what the Warriors and Rockets have in store for us.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:49 AM

227 posts, read 770,294 times
Wow look at all the 3 point shooters on the Rockets

James Harden
Chris Paul
Eric Gordon
Ryan Anderson
P.J Tucker
Trevor Ariza
Gerald Green
Joe Johnson

Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Possible but highly unlikely. Should the Warriors be at full strength come playoff time, I don't see anyone preventing them from repeating as champions this year. That being said, the Rockets are having a heck of a season this year, and I see them getting the first seed in the West. Houston will for sure give the Warriors a run for their money in a playoff series. However, the playoffs are a much different game than the regular season. James Harden has excelled in the first round of the playoffs every year, but then he is questionable after the first round. I think the biggest threat to the Warriors this year is the Boston Celtics.

Should the Warriors and Rockets meet up in the Western Conference Finals, I'd have to say Warriors win the series in six games. Golden State is definitely not going to sweep Houston.

In the Finals, I see a Warriors-Celtics match up. For that series, Warriors in seven games.
I don't see the Celtics getting past Lebron or Toronto. The strongest teams are clearly GSW, Houston, and Toronto at this point.

Quote:
The Celtics and Raptors are doing pretty well this year. Either one would give Golden State or Houston a fight. After those two rough losses with Curry sitting out due to an ankle injury, I think it's safe to say that Houston gets the first seed. Should Golden State be at full strength though, I see them repeating. Nonetheless, Houston is the biggest threat to them in the West, and will definitely push the Warriors to six games. Boston and Toronto are also pretty big threats to the Warriors. Either one of them facing Golden State in the Finals would make for one heck of a match-up. Should Golden State face Toronto, I would say Warriors in six. However, if the Warriors face the Celtics, I think the Warriors would win, but not before being pushed to the full seven games. Boston has proven to be a threat to the Warriors in the last few years. In the very unlikely circumstance that Houston does manage to dethrone the Warriors, it would still take about the same number of games for the Rockets to defeat either the Raptors or the Celtics. We'll just have to wait until the playoffs start in April to see what happens.
The WCF is probably deciding this year's champion. It is close. I don't think Toronto or Cleveland can matchup with either Western Conference power in a 7 game series.

Quote:
Golden State would win for sure should they be fully healthy. There is no way that Houston would just let the Warriors breeze right past them. Sweeping the Rockets would be an extremely daunting task for the Warriors. I don't think the Warriors will let it go seven games though. They will try to get it done in no more than six games so they can have at least some rest for their next opponent. Going seven games can increase the chance of an injury to a key player. That being said, a Warriors and Rockets series would be fun to watch, regardless of how many games the series goes.
The Rockets are for real. They have great length and mobility. They are designed to disrupt what the Warriors want to do, and they might be good enough to carry out that design.

Quote:
Regardless of what happens, this will be a fun series to watch. I would like to see a Warriors and Rockets Conference Finals because I would like to see Chris Paul get there for the first time. He's never been past the second round.
It will be a great series. Barring injury, the Rox will be in the WCF. I think they will lose, at most, one game on their way there.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it too. The Warriors and Rockets will for sure give us a series worth watching. I think it'll be Warriors in six games. There's just no way they'll sweep Houston, not after the Rockets have beaten them twice already this year.
At even odds, I think the Warriors would be the right bet. This series offers tremendous intrigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
Wow look at all the 3 point shooters on the Rockets

James Harden
Chris Paul
Eric Gordon
Ryan Anderson
P.J Tucker
Trevor Ariza
Gerald Green
Joe Johnson
Gordon and Joe Johnson have been pretty pedestrian from 3 this year. The last time these teams met in the WCF, the Warriors put Harden through the ringer with a box and 1 zone, with Iguodala (and Klay, Barnes, or Green) as the on-ball defender and a wing defender playing in as a credible doubler on a drive. It worked brilliantly in games 3 & 5, but those Rockets didn't have shooters who could punish the Warriors for cheating in. They also didn't have a pick & roll threat at the 5. Even for the games he was able to play, Dwight Howard has never really been comfortable operating in the P&R.

When in this series will Steve Kerr abandon playing a center and run?

Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM

88 posts, read 28,221 times
Warriors will not defeat the Rockets in the playoffs without a healthy Steph Curry. Those two losses recently against the other playoff contenders (Trailblazers, Timberwolves} just proved Kevin Durant shows lack of leadership to carry the team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or