U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2018, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,283,014 times
Reputation: 7950

Advertisements

I am thinking Golden State should still be the overwhelming favorite for the title, unless Curry is either completely out, or seriously hobbled.


This is basically the same GSW team as last year. They lost Ian Clark, who was productive but only averaged 14 minutes/game. They gained Nick Young. There were no other significant changes. Consider some GSW stats from last year:


First in the league in field goal pct. (.495)
Lowest opposing fg%: .435


First in points per game: 115.9


2nd in 3 point pct at .383 (Cleveland first at .384)
Lowest opposing 3 pt%: .324


First by far in average point differential at 11.6 (San Antonio 2nd at 7.2)


Curry #1 with 324 made threes. Thompson #2 with 268. (JJ Redick 3rd with 201) (This is among those in the top 20 for 3 pt pct). It is unusual in any sporting endeavor to see such a wide gap between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm a marathon fan, and usually the 26.2 mile, 2 hr+ races are decided by seconds. And then to think that the top two guys here are both on the same team? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2018, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Reputation: 11220
We'll see if they can turn it on for the playoffs, but right now the Warriors are not playing with any sense of urgency and they've really been slacking on defense, which used to be one of their cornerstones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 02:24 PM
 
91 posts, read 67,494 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We'll see if they can turn it on for the playoffs, but right now the Warriors are not playing with any sense of urgency and they've really been slacking on defense, which used to be one of their cornerstones.
Which is exactly what I said earlier in this thread.

The "they are bored with the regular season" excuse was believable for much of the season, but they should have been transitioning to playoff mode with 10 games left at the LATEST. They haven't built any momentum, and losses as well as injuries have actually built a negative momentum. Meanwhile, seeds 3-8 have been in playoff mode for weeks.

Curry's return will make a big difference, but the Warriors just seem to be missing something this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,877,378 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We'll see if they can turn it on for the playoffs, but right now the Warriors are not playing with any sense of urgency and they've really been slacking on defense, which used to be one of their cornerstones.
They certainly delivered the defense in Game 1. Effort & rotations were great, and they were able to dictate opportunities to the Spurs' offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzy702 View Post
Which is exactly what I said earlier in this thread.

The "they are bored with the regular season" excuse was believable for much of the season, but they should have been transitioning to playoff mode with 10 games left at the LATEST. They haven't built any momentum, and losses as well as injuries have actually built a negative momentum. Meanwhile, seeds 3-8 have been in playoff mode for weeks.

Curry's return will make a big difference, but the Warriors just seem to be missing something this year.
Game 1 looked like a much more focused team. Iguodala has been resting a lot down the stretch, and Dray hasn't been giving maximum effort. They showed up Saturday, and it was exactly what the team was missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM
 
156 posts, read 267,910 times
Reputation: 117
The Rockets can beat the Warriors since they have no weaknesses(offensively or defensively). In previous seasons, this team wasn’t built to score at every level on the floor, as it was 3 pointer/layup or bust.

Chris Paul adds in the missing elements of halfcout(mid-post and in) scoring, some additional playmaking(which rests Harden), and defensive capabilities at the point guard position. Add in Capella’s rim protection to go along with the wing defense that Ariza/Tucker provides, and this team is the perfect counter to Golden State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 02:49 PM
 
4,492 posts, read 3,159,484 times
Reputation: 4293
The Rockets have a backcourt of Harden and Paul. Both can't have off nights, but one of them can, which is what we witnessed in Game 2 against the Timberwolves. Harden had a very poor shooting night, but with the help of CP3, torched the Timberwolves by nearly 20 points. I still feel Clint Cappella is the ace in the hole for this team. He's been soaring the last 2 years and appears to be pretty unstoppable in the pick n roll.


Let's not forget, the Rockets also had a poor shooting night from behind the arc and still blew out the Timberwolves. The Timberwolves have their own struggles, but for a 3 point shooting team, who shot poorly from 3, and still win by 20 is a team that can still score at will.


I think the Rockets and the Warriors will be a game not of Curry, Klay, and Durant vs. Harden, Paul, and Cappella, but a game of who's going to be the true dark horse in the series. Will Swaggy P surprise everyone and have a 20 point night? Will Eric Gordon or PJ Tucker steal the show in a game? I think the series will be close and the difference maker will be role players stepping up, and not so much the all-stars we already know can score mostly at will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2018, 12:20 PM
 
3,794 posts, read 1,384,791 times
Reputation: 1603
I don't trust the Houston coach or James Harden and expect the warriors to be back in the Finals in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 AM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,877,378 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I don't trust the Houston coach or James Harden and expect the warriors to be back in the Finals in June.
If Houston doesn't make it to the Finals, it won't be because Harden & D'Antoni aren't good enough--it will be because the Warriors are still the Warriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The Rockets have a backcourt of Harden and Paul. Both can't have off nights, but one of them can, which is what we witnessed in Game 2 against the Timberwolves. Harden had a very poor shooting night, but with the help of CP3, torched the Timberwolves by nearly 20 points. I still feel Clint Cappella is the ace in the hole for this team. He's been soaring the last 2 years and appears to be pretty unstoppable in the pick n roll.

Let's not forget, the Rockets also had a poor shooting night from behind the arc and still blew out the Timberwolves. The Timberwolves have their own struggles, but for a 3 point shooting team, who shot poorly from 3, and still win by 20 is a team that can still score at will.

I think the Rockets and the Warriors will be a game not of Curry, Klay, and Durant vs. Harden, Paul, and Cappella, but a game of who's going to be the true dark horse in the series. Will Swaggy P surprise everyone and have a 20 point night? Will Eric Gordon or PJ Tucker steal the show in a game? I think the series will be close and the difference maker will be role players stepping up, and not so much the all-stars we already know can score mostly at will.
The most interesting aspect of the presumed Warriors-Rockets series would be: what happens when Kerr uses KD & Draymond (and Looney?) at the 5 to counter Capela as the pick & roll man? The team that defends better will win. Capela has a quickness and mobility advantage over the true 5s in the NBA, and he has two point guards that can help him capitalize on those advantages. When the Warriors go long & quick, how will the Rockets respond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM
 
3,794 posts, read 1,384,791 times
Reputation: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
If Houston doesn't make it to the Finals, it won't be because Harden & D'Antoni aren't good enough--it will be because the Warriors are still the Warriors.



The most interesting aspect of the presumed Warriors-Rockets series would be: what happens when Kerr uses KD & Draymond (and Looney?) at the 5 to counter Capela as the pick & roll man? The team that defends better will win. Capela has a quickness and mobility advantage over the true 5s in the NBA, and he has two point guards that can help him capitalize on those advantages. When the Warriors go long & quick, how will the Rockets respond?

The Rockets struggling again tonight with the Wolves which confirms they are not on the level of the warriors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 10:07 PM
 
11,680 posts, read 7,055,962 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The Rockets struggling again tonight with the Wolves which confirms they are not on the level of the warriors
Ehh, weren’t the Wolves something like a 3 or 4 seed before Butler went out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top