U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 05:06 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,261,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You can argue against Stockton all day but I don’t you could actually go wrong having him on the team. In a world without MJ he probably has 2 rings while being the all time leader in assist/steals.
As a Sonics fan friend of mine used to constantly point out, but for a non call of a Jordan push-off against Bryon Russell in the 1998 finals, the Jazz might have had their title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGm8Kr5kWr8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 01:50 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,152,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As a Sonics fan friend of mine used to constantly point out, but for a non call of a Jordan push-off against Bryon Russell in the 1998 finals, the Jazz might have had their title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGm8Kr5kWr8

But we all know Michael Jordan is never going to get that call either. There's a lot of great NBA players that would have a ring if Jordan had no existed. The Knicks had a chance to steal one from the eye of the Jordan storm, but Hakeem just shredded the Magic and Knicks in back to back Championships when Jordan left to play baseball. I'm pretty certain that without Jordan, Patrick Ewing and Karl Malone would have a ring, no doubt!

Also, it's probably easy to say if Kobe and Shaq could have co-existed, there may not had of been the San Antonio Spurs as we know them either. Lakers lost some years before they got back in the championship hunt with Kobe and Gasol. Kobe and Shaq were things nightmares were made of, but you had two HUGE egos on the same team. Shaq was one of a kind at 300 pounds, but could run the floor in longish spurts. He was definitely that caliber of player that came towards the tail end of a dominant center who couldn't stretch the floor and had mammoth size. That time in LA really showed what he was capable of when he was engaged and put his ego to the side. We saw it in Orlando, but it came home to roost in LA.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM

51,857 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
But we all know Michael Jordan is never going to get that call either. There's a lot of great NBA players that would have a ring if Jordan had no existed. The Knicks had a chance to steal one from the eye of the Jordan storm, but Hakeem just shredded the Magic and Knicks in back to back Championships when Jordan left to play baseball. I'm pretty certain that without Jordan, Patrick Ewing and Karl Malone would have a ring, no doubt!

Also, it's probably easy to say if Kobe and Shaq could have co-existed, there may not had of been the San Antonio Spurs as we know them either. Lakers lost some years before they got back in the championship hunt with Kobe and Gasol. Kobe and Shaq were things nightmares were made of, but you had two HUGE egos on the same team. Shaq was one of a kind at 300 pounds, but could run the floor in longish spurts. He was definitely that caliber of player that came towards the tail end of a dominant center who couldn't stretch the floor and had mammoth size. That time in LA really showed what he was capable of when he was engaged and put his ego to the side. We saw it in Orlando, but it came home to roost in LA.
Hard to say but the Spurs went right through those two in 2002-03.

The reality of the early 2000's was that the Spurs and Lakers were rarely healthy at the same time.

100% agree that Ewing, Malone, Barkley just to name 3 would all have rings without Jordan around.

By the time Jordan sat out 2 seasons the Knicks had started to decline.

I feel they would have beaten perhaps Portland or Seattle as 2 examples.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hard to say but the Spurs went right through those two in 2002-03.

The reality of the early 2000's was that the Spurs and Lakers were rarely healthy at the same time.

100% agree that Ewing, Malone, Barkley just to name 3 would all have rings without Jordan around.

By the time Jordan sat out 2 seasons the Knicks had started to decline.

I feel they would have beaten perhaps Portland or Seattle as 2 examples.

I always felt Portland and Seattle were weak opponents for the Bulls and mostly layups. Mainly because, I always have the hardest time remembering the second and third NBA Finals team on the quest for Jordan's first 3 peat. The Knicks were quite dominant in their time and had the a la Bad Boy Piston vibe about them. Jordan was just too much for every team in the league during his two 3 peat runs.

I don't feel as bad for Malone, as I do for Ewing and Barkley, but mostly Barkley. Barkley was the man on that NBA Finals run with the Sun, and it showed as he won MVP that year too! I'm a big fan of Barkley, even today, because even though his thought process is scattered, when his thoughts actually line up, he's a fairly good judge of basketball talent. Sure, he swings for the fences and misses at times, but I kinda want that from a judger of athletic ability. Sometimes you take a flyer on a guy. Remember Jimmer Fredette?

I also like Stephen A Smith when he's not yelling and talking over people. I can't stand that whole schtick, but when it comes to talking about basketball, he's good at conveying useful points.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 PM

51,857 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I always felt Portland and Seattle were weak opponents for the Bulls and mostly layups. Mainly because, I always have the hardest time remembering the second and third NBA Finals team on the quest for Jordan's first 3 peat. The Knicks were quite dominant in their time and had the a la Bad Boy Piston vibe about them. Jordan was just too much for every team in the league during his two 3 peat runs.

I don't feel as bad for Malone, as I do for Ewing and Barkley, but mostly Barkley. Barkley was the man on that NBA Finals run with the Sun, and it showed as he won MVP that year too! I'm a big fan of Barkley, even today, because even though his thought process is scattered, when his thoughts actually line up, he's a fairly good judge of basketball talent. Sure, he swings for the fences and misses at times, but I kinda want that from a judger of athletic ability. Sometimes you take a flyer on a guy. Remember Jimmer Fredette?

I also like Stephen A Smith when he's not yelling and talking over people. I can't stand that whole schtick, but when it comes to talking about basketball, he's good at conveying useful points.
Barkley was one heckuva player and entertaining as heck. He's certainly not struggling these days so I think Chuck can roll with that. Anyone that really knows the NBA would rather spend a day hanging with Chuck than Jordan anyway.

Stephen A. Smith is a product of his environment. You can't succeed in that format unless you're a complete troll\idiot\genius\ho\incendidary.

Frankly, I can't stand that.

However, in real life I might love the guy because I'd adopt the same persona publically if it paid me millions a year as well.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Barkley was one heckuva player and entertaining as heck. He's certainly not struggling these days so I think Chuck can roll with that. Anyone that really knows the NBA would rather spend a day hanging with Chuck than Jordan anyway.

Stephen A. Smith is a product of his environment. You can't succeed in that format unless you're a complete troll\idiot\genius\ho\incendidary.

Frankly, I can't stand that.

However, in real life I might love the guy because I'd adopt the same persona publically if it paid me millions a year as well.
We all know outside of basketball, Jordan is not a pleasant human being. I can get my fix of Jordan from highlight videos. Charles would want to eat chicken and waffles with me or try some crazy food/drink. That's a guy who just enjoys life and makes TNT's coverage so entertaining.

I'd like to hang out with Stephen A Smith.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,997,603 times
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Anthony Davis

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O’Neal

Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 PM

498 posts, read 141,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Anthony Davis

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O’Neal
I like those teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or