U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 05:02 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,283,014 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this while watching highlights of luka doncic, who is projected as a top 10 pick in the draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrvJofEw6tI

He looks great on video(reminiscent of Pistol Pete), but then so did Darko Milicic. Doncic is a 6'6" guard from Slovenia (by way of Spain). There have been many successful foreign big men going back to Hakeem Olajuwon, but I was trying to think of the non-big players, and there seem to be precious few. I don't count Steve Nash for purposes of this post, since he was born in British Columbia, only several hours drive north for me. Plus B.C. used to have an NBA team. These are all the guys I could think of:

Louol Deng
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker
Goran Dragic
Jose Calderon
Dennis Schroeder
Sarunas Marciulionus
Ricky Rubio
Thabo Sefolosha
Raja Bell

Guys like Frank Ntilikna and Buddy Hield I left out, because I don't think they've been in the league long enough to be considered impact players. I also left out guys like Steve Kerr, who was born in Lebanon. IIRC his dad was a diplomat serving there. Arguably Detlef Schrempf and Toni Kukoc could have been added; they were 6'10 and 6'11, but both more of perimeter players.

I'm sure I missed some, but the point remains--that is not a lot of non-big foreign players given how long the NBA has been using imports. The overwhelming majority are bigs. This makes sense of course. Since 7 footers are such a small percentage of U.S. population, teams are able to recruit more by expanding the population base from 320 million to 7.25 billion. That has not been necessary for non-bigs.

I wonder how much of a risk Doncic is in the draft, given this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 PM

9,628 posts, read 5,953,342 times
Dude, how can you leave out Peja and Petrovic????

Just kidding, here are some more:

Peja Stojakovic
Drazen Petrovic
Hedo Turkoglu
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Danilo Gallinari
Andrei Kirilenko
Nicolas Batum
Evan Fournier

Old 03-16-2018, 11:42 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,877,378 times
Andrew Wiggins
Leandro Barbosa
Emmanuel Mudiay
Andre Kirilenko
Boris Diaw
Ben Gordon (kinda)
Wally Szcerbiak
Beno Udrih
Ben Simmons
Patty Mills

Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Dude, how can you leave out Peja and Petrovic????

Just kidding, here are some more:

Peja Stojakovic
Drazen Petrovic
Hedo Turkoglu
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Danilo Gallinari
Andrei Kirilenko
Nicolas Batum
Evan Fournier

Peja is a good catch. He was a favorite player of mine, so I should have remembered. Turkoglu too. I saw Petrovic play live, and to me he was overrated. He was a good shooter, but not much else. However, I looked up his stats, and they do look pretty good. .437 lifetime 3 pt. shooting....
Some of the others I left off because I considered them as bigs. Of course, especially in today's NBA, there's a blurry line between 'big' and 'non-big.'

Old 03-16-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Andrew Wiggins
Leandro Barbosa
Emmanuel Mudiay
Andre Kirilenko
Boris Diaw
Ben Gordon (kinda)
Wally Szcerbiak
Beno Udrih
Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Some of these guys I left off because they had at least one American parent. Wally S. for example was born in Spain to an American father who was coaching Real Madrid, and (as far as I know), an American mother. Another example is Andrew Wiggins, who is the son of ex-NBA player Mitchell Wiggins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or