U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Western US
498 posts, read 141,585 times
Reputation: 203

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
On the big stage, their 3PT% is close.

Curry NBA Finals 3PT%:
76 of 194 = .392

Michael Jordan NBA Finals 3PT%:
42 of 114 = .368
Not to be mean or anything, but I don't like comparing one player to another. I just appreciate greatness. Both Curry and Jordan are great players in their own right. Jordan had his time to shine in the 90's, while Curry has shined in the middle of the 2010's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 AM
 
5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
completely confused by this thread. whats the point?
i dont think anyone has ever compared curry to jordan in any way.. yet here we are.
I'm only comparing them in terms of 3-point-shooting in the NBA Finals, and its close.
And Jordan would probably have an even higher 3pt% if he attempted more, because he's known for being a rhythm shooter from downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Not to be mean or anything, but I don't like comparing one player to another. I just appreciate greatness. Both Curry and Jordan are great players in their own right. Jordan had his time to shine in the 90's, while Curry has shined in the middle of the 2010's.
Plus its impossible to compare them, because Jordan is so massively far ahead in every measure of greatness (apart from 3-point-shooting), so that's why I chose to compare only their 3-point-shooting so it'd be a close comparison (at least percentage wise) in the NBA Finals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Western US
498 posts, read 141,585 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
I'm only comparing them in terms of 3-point-shooting in the NBA Finals, and its close.
And Jordan would probably have an even higher 3pt% if he attempted more, because he's known for being a rhythm shooter from downtown.


Plus its impossible to compare them, because Jordan is so massively far ahead in every measure of greatness (apart from 3-point-shooting), so that's why I chose to compare only their 3-point-shooting so it'd be a close comparison (at least percentage wise) in the NBA Finals.
Exactly. Plus, their bodies are entirely different. Curry is a point guard, and Jordan was a shooting guard. Point guards are supposed to do everything for their team, while shooting guards score points for their team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
I'm only comparing them in terms of 3-point-shooting in the NBA Finals, and its close.
And Jordan would probably have an even higher 3pt% if he attempted more, because he's known for being a rhythm shooter from downtown.


Plus its impossible to compare them, because Jordan is so massively far ahead in every measure of greatness (apart from 3-point-shooting), so that's why I chose to compare only their 3-point-shooting so it'd be a close comparison (at least percentage wise) in the NBA Finals.
Well hell while we are at, letís compare how Kevin Durant blocks shots to Bill Russell on Saturday night games.
Or how deandre Jordan rebounds to wilt chamberlain in the first round.


Itís just a silly pointless conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 AM
 
91 posts, read 66,242 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
On the big stage, their 3PT% is close.

Curry NBA Finals 3PT%:
76 of 194 = .392

Michael Jordan NBA Finals 3PT%:
42 of 114 = .368
Funny that you only use the NBA Finals to try and "prove" your claim.

Curry has attempted 80 more 3's and made 34 more in HALF as many Finals appearances, and shot better on those attempts. Have you heard of adjusted FG%? The more 3's you shoot at a higher percentage, the greater the impact.

And IMO, Jordan is the greatest ever. But really, Curry is not just "slightly better" at shooting 3's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 08:28 AM
 
5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Well hell while we are at, letís compare how Kevin Durant blocks shots to Bill Russell on Saturday night games.
Or how deandre Jordan rebounds to wilt chamberlain in the first round.


Itís just a silly pointless conversation
The is nothing silly about the NBA Finals.
The regular season or 1st round of the playoffs is what I call silly, relatively speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 08:29 AM
 
5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times
Reputation: 2264
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzy702 View Post
Funny that you only use the NBA Finals to try and "prove" your claim.

Curry has attempted 80 more 3's and made 34 more in HALF as many Finals appearances, and shot better on those attempts. Have you heard of adjusted FG%? The more 3's you shoot at a higher percentage, the greater the impact.

And IMO, Jordan is the greatest ever. But really, Curry is not just "slightly better" at shooting 3's.
Percentage-wise they are identical (Jordan .400, Curry .392) in NBA Finals 3pt% if you remove 1996 and 1997 Finals.
And I think if Jordan attempted more 3s per game, he'd be even more successful, because he's a rhythm downtown shooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
The is nothing silly about the NBA Finals.
The regular season or 1st round of the playoffs is what I call silly, relatively speaking.
You miss the point.

Comparing ANY player to ANY past player in ANY game/round/season is silly. Then to not pick and narrow they down even further is even more silly.

If youíre comparing 2 players careers, a Kobe or a Lebron to Jordan or Magic, ok fine. Comparing a Duncan or KG to Malone, Kareem, Russell or what not over a career, ok fine. But picking someone who isnít even in an argument for anything more than a 1 trick and trying to create an argument to compare him to a GOAT is in and of itself a silly argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 PM
 
5,424 posts, read 1,541,075 times
Reputation: 2264
^ Comparing any player in the past to any player in the present is silly?
Comparing NBA Finals performances is silly?
Narrowing the comparison to one category is silly?
Your post makes no sense, or else you'd be calling every comparison on every forum "silly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 05:48 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,192,016 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
^ Comparing any player in the past to any player in the present is silly?
Comparing NBA Finals performances is silly?
Narrowing the comparison to one category is silly?
Your post makes no sense, or else you'd be calling every comparison on every forum "silly".
Yes, comparing curry to Jordan in any way is just ****ing silly.
Thatís the bottom line.

I mean letís make other silly comparisons, like how many rebounds did Jordan average in the 1996 finals vs how many did Tim Duncan average in the 2003 finals. Itís just ****ing silly.


You get it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top