U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Grant over Worthy in 90-91 and Kevin Willis in 91-92.
Grant over Worthy...an all star and leading scorer on a team with the 3rd best record in the NBA?

Donít really see Grant being unquestionably better than Willis in 92 either - Willis averaged 18.3/15.5. Dwight Howard type numbers. Why does Grant get the nod over Rodman anyway? Rodman led the league in rebounds, 1st team all defensive, better defender and made the all star team in Ď92. Letís face it, Grant was good but itís no real travesty that he wasnít a perennial all NBA selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM
 
7,702 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Reputation: 8416
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I remember predicting to my friend that the Bulls would be better w/ Rodman than Grant, because Rodman didn't need touches on offense, which left more for Pippen & Jordan.


Sure enough it was after Rodman that they had the 72 win season. Sometimes less is more.
They had the 72 win season because of the short 3pt line. Jordan and Pippen shot 35 and 28% from three in their third championship season. In the 72-win season, they shot 43 and 37 percent, respectively. In the season when the line moved back, they shot 24 and 32%. The Bulls were great, but easy threes are what elevated that 96 team to rarified air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 09:41 PM
 
51,906 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They had the 72 win season because of the short 3pt line. Jordan and Pippen shot 35 and 28% from three in their third championship season. In the 72-win season, they shot 43 and 37 percent, respectively. In the season when the line moved back, they shot 24 and 32%. The Bulls were great, but easy threes are what elevated that 96 team to rarified air.
It's pretty cool how all the other teams had to shoot from a further distance.

Both Jordan and Pippen shot a fairly low volume of 3's either way....which you left out.

FYI this isn't the politics forum, you actually have to make at least some sense here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 PM
 
51,906 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Grant over Worthy in 90-91 and Kevin Willis in 91-92.
This is all you deserve. Arm flailing. Trying to promote Grant almost 30 years later when you almost certainly watched very few games vs. the guys that watched game after game as a profession.

https://goo.gl/images/ecx8e4

So, what else you got the black knight?

https://goo.gl/images/kQJUKF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 PM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They had the 72 win season because of the short 3pt line. Jordan and Pippen shot 35 and 28% from three in their third championship season. In the 72-win season, they shot 43 and 37 percent, respectively. In the season when the line moved back, they shot 24 and 32%. The Bulls were great, but easy threes are what elevated that 96 team to rarified air.
Haha, Iíve actually never heard that one before. The Bulls made a paltry 6.6 3s per game in 96...their opponents 5.3. Bulls werenít exactly raining 3s compared to their competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 PM
 
51,906 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Grant over Worthy...an all star and leading scorer on a team with the 3rd best record in the NBA?

Donít really see Grant being unquestionably better than Willis in 92 either - Willis averaged 18.3/15.5. Dwight Howard type numbers. Why does Grant get the nod over Rodman anyway? Rodman led the league in rebounds, 1st team all defensive, better defender and made the all star team in Ď92. Letís face it, Grant was good but itís no real travesty that he wasnít a perennial all NBA selection.
In new math land where the fairy unicorns live....14ppg and 10 rebs > 18ppg and 15.5rebs.

Especially if the 14/10 guy was a 4th option cleaning up the boards after one of the leagues best (if not all time best) scorers has drawn off the defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 09:54 PM
 
51,906 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Reputation: 32374
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Haha, Iíve actually never heard that one before. The Bulls made a paltry 6.6 3s per game in 96...their opponents 5.3. Bulls werenít exactly raining 3s compared to their competition.
Yeah, keep reading that posters garbage and you're going to hear all kinds of things no one has heard before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 10:34 PM
 
7,702 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Reputation: 8416
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Haha, Iíve actually never heard that one before. The Bulls made a paltry 6.6 3s per game in 96...their opponents 5.3. Bulls werenít exactly raining 3s compared to their competition.
The 67-win 91-92 Bulls made 1.7 threes to their opponents' 2.7. They outscored their opponents 9011-8155. The 72-win 95-96 team went from -1 three-pointers made (as compared to the 92 team) to +1.3 and outscored opponents 8625-7621. That's the difference in the five wins separating the two teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 10:51 PM
 
7,702 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Reputation: 8416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In new math land where the fairy unicorns live....14ppg and 10 rebs > 18ppg and 15.5rebs.

Especially if the 14/10 guy was a 4th option cleaning up the boards after one of the leagues best (if not all time best) scorers has drawn off the defense.
Grant was significantly more efficient and a better defender.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...layers&y2=1992

The only advanced metric where Willis comes close to Grant is PER, and that's because of his much higher usage rate. We're talking a differential rating (Ortg minus Drtg) of 30 points to Willis' 6 points... a boxscore +/- of 7.3, compared to Willis' +1, and a 6.7 VORP to Willis's 2.2. Using basic stats that speak to efficiency and defense, Grant had 1.6 blocks and 1.2 steals to Willis' .7 and .9, and his fg% was 58% to Willis' 48%. Grant was better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 12:03 AM
 
11,679 posts, read 7,045,201 times
Reputation: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The 67-win 91-92 Bulls made 1.7 threes to their opponents' 2.7. They outscored their opponents 9011-8155. The 72-win 95-96 team went from -1 three-pointers made (as compared to the 92 team) to +1.3 and outscored opponents 8625-7621. That's the difference in the five wins separating the two teams.
Not sure if serious. Can you better explain how making an extra 3 pt shot can concretely explain how a team wins 5 more games as if there are no other variables?

In Ď96 the Bulls had the #1 ranked defense...the only time during both 3 peats. How many ďextraĒ wins did that account for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top