U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

12,163 posts, read 10,344,414 times

Advertisements

How's this era any stronger than Jordan's era? Serious question. Things are just distributed differently now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:58 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,370,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How's this era any stronger than Jordan's era? Serious question. Things are just distributed differently now.
I always found it funny that some people say lebron beat better teams in the finals like golden State and San Antonio. They forget that he had to bail on his team twice after failure to join other stars in order to do it.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:01 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That sort of ties into my post on the last page of the thread, was there ever a "strong era" in the history of the NBA and if so, when, mid to late 70's and early to mid 80's?

There's so many variables with rules chances, the style of play changing, expansion teams etc. over the decades.

Even though there has been only what, one new team in the last 23 years, there have been some awful and down right horrific non-expansion basketball teams during those years. If anything they should contract a few teams instead of ever thinking about expanding in the future, near or far!

Old 04-09-2018, 02:03 PM

14,413 posts, read 26,232,814 times
Rockets vs. Bulls 1994 - the greatest Finals that never was

Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Rockets vs. Bulls 1994 - the greatest Finals that never was
Do you think the Bulls could have won 8 straight if Jordan didn't retire?

Old 04-09-2018, 05:11 PM

51,901 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Great question. Assuming they kept their full team together I think the Bulls win the first one and lose the second.

Houston squeeked by the Knicks in the first finals, beat Orlando in 4 games the next year after adding Drexler. Olajuwon, Horry, Drexler, Kenny Smith etc. was an extremely tough squad.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:19 PM

14,413 posts, read 26,232,814 times
Quote:
The Rockets with Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime would have presented matchup problems for the Bulls that they did not face in any of their Finals opponents. The Bulls couldn't handle Shaq in the '95 second round with MJ on the floor. We all saw what Dream did to Shaq in the Finals.

Hakeem vs. Bill Cartwright or Luc Longley was going to be more of a mismatch in terms of scoring (and defense) than MJ vs. Vernon Maxwell or Clyde Drexler.

Honestly, my answer is no. Fight me.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:08 AM

7,702 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You must be looking at points allowed per game which can be impacted by number of possessions.
Yeah, we were talking about two different things. My bad.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM

7,702 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
The Rockets with Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime would have presented matchup problems for the Bulls that they did not face in any of their Finals opponents. The Bulls couldn't handle Shaq in the '95 second round with MJ on the floor. We all saw what Dream did to Shaq in the Finals.

Hakeem vs. Bill Cartwright or Luc Longley was going to be more of a mismatch in terms of scoring (and defense) than MJ vs. Vernon Maxwell or Clyde Drexler.

This. People like to pretend that series didn't happen. It did, Jordan played out of his mind (31/6.5/3.7 with 2.5 steals and 1.8 blocks), and they still lost. The commonly accepted narrative is that the Bulls lost because Jordan was rusty. He actually played out of his mind...by most measures, better than in the second three-peat, but he'd lost Grant, and hadn't gained Rodman, and couldn't get out of the second round.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:00 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times
Quote:
The easy answer is no. Health alone is a big enough question mark that no team can count on getting to and winning 8 consecutive titles. It has happened once in NBA history. Three consecutive deep playoff runs takes a toll on players' bodies and minds. That would only grow exponentially greater with further runs.

Quote:

The Rox after the Drexler acquisition would have been the most epic 90s Finals for the full strength Bulls. The basketball gods simply didn't see fit to deliver it. A close second would have been a rematch in '92 with Magic still in the league. Magic & year 2 Vlade were a fabulous combination, and it would have been great to see them together for a longer period of time--and Worthy was still playing at a really high level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This. People like to pretend that series didn't happen. It did, Jordan played out of his mind (31/6.5/3.7 with 2.5 steals and 1.8 blocks), and they still lost. The commonly accepted narrative is that the Bulls lost because Jordan was rusty. He actually played out of his mind...by most measures, better than in the second three-peat, but he'd lost Grant, and hadn't gained Rodman, and couldn't get out of the second round.
I agree--that team needed better post defense. I also don't know that Rodman would have made a difference in that series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or