U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times

Advertisements

I love his play style, but Dame Lilliard can stop telling us how underrated he is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 05:09 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,827,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Exactly, there is nothing he can do about his past, including the absence of clutchness (as in MJ level clutchness) for the first half of his career.
Plus his peak was never as high as MJ's, so even if he gets all the longevity records....I think most people will take quality of play over quantity.
The only thing missing at Lebron's peak is the amount of rings. History will remember his peak run very, very favorably to Jordan's...

Old 04-20-2018, 05:41 AM

5,430 posts, read 1,543,749 times
LeBron's best years were nowhere near as good as Jordan's.
Jordan was a STEALS and BLOCKS machine (including a high of 3.2spg and 1.6bpg in a year when he averaged 35.0ppg), and that wasn't even the best part of his defense.
And Jordan was a scoring machine, the likes of which we've never seen before.
So at both ends, peak LeBron was weaker.
In fact Jordan had a season of 32.5ppg 8.0apg 8.0rpg 2.9spg in the only year he played PG (and he only played PG for a few weeks).
And even his weakness - 3pt shooting - had an impressive .376 (with 3.0 attempts per game) in 1989-90.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 AM

Derrick Rose is averaging 12.5ppg on .478fg and .667treys in these playoffs.
I'm not sure if that's a reflection on how good Rose still is, or a reflection on how weak this era is.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,154,787 times
Quote:
Derrick Rose is averaging 12.5ppg on .478fg and .667treys in these playoffs.
I'm not sure if that's a reflection on how good Rose still is, or a reflection on how weak this era is.
It's also for a Timberwolves team that doesn't have a chance of sniffing the 2nd round. Wiggins and Towns haven't played well at all, which has likely opened the door for Rose to score more. You have two starters that are playing below their potential. Rose is washed, so being on a team that likely doesn't have championship aspirations in the near future is a big plus for him. He can continue playing the game he loves with far less scrutiny, compared to what he experienced in Chicago, New York, and Cleveland.

The Timberwolves BARELY made the playoffs and had to get there in overtime to boot. Their coach loves to run his starting 5 into the ground. Honestly, the Timberwolves environment is perfect for a guy like Rose. I think another destination that would fit him well is Charlotte. He can put up average to above average numbers and he won't have to live with the scrutiny of not being the player that he once was. Dwight Howard was able to do that in Charlotte this season. Dwight had several games that reminded people of his old Magic self, but he was doing it on a team that wasn't contending. If you no longer have championship aspirations, you can extend your career playing on teams that aren't going to likely sniff the playoffs or advancing past the first round of the playoffs. Dwight and Rose are no longer the anchors or even third bananas of championship or even playoff minded teams.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:52 AM

51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
Quote:
LeBron's best years were nowhere near as good as Jordan's.
Jordan was a STEALS and BLOCKS machine (including a high of 3.2spg and 1.6bpg in a year when he averaged 35.0ppg), and that wasn't even the best part of his defense.
And Jordan was a scoring machine, the likes of which we've never seen before.
So at both ends, peak LeBron was weaker.
In fact Jordan had a season of 32.5ppg 8.0apg 8.0rpg 2.9spg in the only year he played PG (and he only played PG for a few weeks).
And even his weakness - 3pt shooting - had an impressive .376 (with 3.0 attempts per game) in 1989-90.
3-point shooting wasn't his weakness, it was just a different era and his relatively low volume coupled with being "the guy" that took the half courters and bail outs with the clock winding down mess with those figures.

He was an "and 1" machine.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:35 PM

3,769 posts, read 1,371,928 times
No west games tonight all eastern conference matchup

Cleveland at Indiana

Toronto at Washington

Boston at Milwaukee

Old 04-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
3-point shooting wasn't his weakness, it was just a different era and his relatively low volume coupled with being "the guy" that took the half courters and bail outs with the clock winding down mess with those figures.

He was an "and 1" machine.
When I say "weakness" I mean in relative terms, as in it was the weakest part of his game (he was far better at literally everything else).
And he was no Reggie Miller/Larry Bird, even though he made 6 of them in the 1st half of game 1 vs Portland 1992 NBA Finals.
But certainly if he attempted as many as Kobe I think he'd finish with a higher trey% than Kobe.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Simmons may not be known for perimeter shooting, but I think we can all agree his shooting action is one of the most entertaining in the NBA-
https://youtu.be/SOvQ1ezycy8?t=120

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 PM

3,769 posts, read 1,371,928 times
Shock of the night. Never thought the Pacers had a chance in coming back and they managed to erase a 17 pt lead and win game 3 at home to go up 2-1. I still wanna know why they never doubled teamed lebron late in the game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball