U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,371,928 times

Advertisements

I hope I never see Oladipo in the TNT studio ever again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 PM

2,836 posts, read 1,775,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Speaking of doubling... You watch the last second shot by LBJ... When he got the ball from the out of bounds pass, the Raps had the opportunity to double team him in the corner, but the other defender ran off. I just threw my hands up when I saw that..
I canít recall who it was but if the Raps defender commits to Lebron - Love is cutting to the paint and has a shot at point blank range.

So a Lebron fading bank shot or Love in front of the bucket?

You can be critical of a lot of things the past three games. The defense on Lebrons off balance bank shot???

Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 AM

28,460 posts, read 15,436,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I can’t recall who it was but if the Raps defender commits to Lebron - Love is cutting to the paint and has a shot at point blank range.

So a Lebron fading bank shot or Love in front of the bucket?

You can be critical of a lot of things the past three games. The defense on Lebrons off balance bank shot???
I am talking about when he first got the ball in the backcourt. Two Raptors were there in front of him.

Here's the video. The double team should occur at 0:03 in the video. Pause it when both defenders are facing LBJ, and tell me what should have happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XWgRpfkxhY

Last edited by DRob4JC; 05-07-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Houston's in control. Just like the Dubs, they've withstood every single potential mini run by their opponent.
Rockets have put together two solid defensive games. They may be starting to figure things out as to what it takes mentally to get to the next level.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 AM

2,836 posts, read 1,775,544 times
Quote:
I am talking about when he first got the ball in the backcourt. Two Raptors were there in front of him.

Here's the video. The double team should occur at 0:03 in the video. Pause it when both defenders are facing LBJ, and tell me what should have happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XWgRpfkxhY
I would have doubled or at least tried to and make Lebron Give the ball up on the inbound.

After that- No.

The folks saying to double on the drive to the hoop- you had Love cutting to the paint.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 05-07-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I would have doubled or at least tried to and make Lebron Give the ball up on the inbound.

After that- No.

The folks saying to double on the drive to the hoop- you had Love cutting to the paint.
That's what I am saying. On the initial catch, everything was set for the Raps to double team LBJ - and they ran off.

Other than that, LBJ just made a 17 foot runner while drifting towards the baseline. Not easy, but definitely make-able for him.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:02 AM

So what are you saying Mr. Mitchell?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Quote:
The Dubs getting handled big time by the Pelicans.

Curry has 18 points but doesn't look very good, very slow with not much explosiveness and very tentative on defense.
Game 3 was not a great effort from the Warriors--coaches or players. Curry still clearly needs to get in game shape. I thought he was better mentally in Game 3 & Game 4 than in his ridiculously fun return in Game 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lebron has only been swept in The Finals once, and it wasn't in 2017. It won't be this year, either...

Here's the thing, context has to be given to each argumentative point. Example: Jordan was 6-0 in The Finals. Contextualized: was coached by the GOAT coach, with a player (Pippen) at the time thought of as a Top 30 All-Timer himself, for each of those six wins...

Lebron has lost 5 times in The Finals. Contextualized: 1-2 versus Spurs who were coached by a Top 5 All-Time coach, 1-2 versus a Warriors team that would have beaten almost every team in NBA history with that 73-9 team. Four of his losses are forgiven. Not that they didn't happen (they obviously did), but it isn't like he didn't show up in those losses; it isn't like he had a prime Wade for the length of time Jordan had a prime Pippen; it isn't like he had the organizational talent top to bottom around him that Mike had in the 90s...

You say we live in the moment, what I've noticed is a lot of Jordan backers live in the past. It's an argument that can go either way. Even if he doesn't win this year--and I'm not expecting him to--, you tell me another player in NBA history that could drag a team of this talent level, this far? More than anything, his legacy is the ultimate player who makes everyone better, objectively he bests Mike in that. This Cavs roster maybe wins 35 games without him and isn't even close to competing at this level...

I don't disagree that there will be other greats. I do wonder when we'll see another player like Mike or Lebron completely dominate as individuals, again...

History will be a lot kinder to Lebron when the dust settles and his accomplishments are weighed against his level of difficulty. Jordan wouldn't have a pristine 6-0 record if he played the Warriors in three Finals. He absolutely would have lost one and it's imaginable that the Bulls could have lost 2/3. Jordan wouldn't be 6-0 if he had to play the Spurs three times, either. So when the dust settles, I think most basketball people are aware of this, but when Lebron is gone, history will be a lot more appreciative of what he brought to the game...
Phil Jackson was a good coach with a great team. LBJ has had great teams. He had an excellent coach in Spo.

There will always be great players--LBJ is one of them, and more will come along.

Quote:
Dubs looking very good.

On our way to Golden State vs. Cavaliers, take 4!
First, the WCF--the biggest challenge of the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
It's amazing how KD just took over this team as the lead player.
I love the hot takes. KD is, of course, a great talent & scorer. The Warriors are happy to let him eat when the Pels' best option is Jrue Holiday. KD can take midrange turnarounds over Jrue all day. The MVP of this series has been Draymond Green, who has wreaked havoc on the defensive end. Curry's return offered a big boost of energy. Iguodala and Klay have been excellent. This team is getting sharp for the WCF.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
What separates GSW from Hou is sustained intensity. Hou is not there in terms of their long term in game focus.

About last night's game - Houston won... they were just in the white jerseys. Did Utah not look like the Rockets on offense? Numerous alley oops... drives to the basket and kick out for the three... they hit 15 threes and out shot Hou.

Utah will likely try to duplicate this on Friday, but it won't work as well. Ingles had a career high game, likely not to happen again. Bench was on fire. Their defense was not great - but because they made baskets, it slowed Hou down.

Hou will lose the series if Utah out shoots them from three point land - but I am not expecting that.
I posted this last week about the Jazz playing like the Rockets - but it wouldn't work as well in the future... last night's shot charts - check out the Tweet below - which chart looks like D'Antoni's system?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,874,215 times
Quote:
I posted this last week about the Jazz playing like the Rockets - but it wouldn't work as well in the future... last night's shot charts - check out the Tweet below - which chart looks like D'Antoni's system?

D'Antoni is a Nellieball coach by osmosis. He picked up the-then master of Nellieball--Steve Nash--and built an offense around transition and pick & roll. Morey is just a GM. He does not dictate or establish strategy. Nellieball teams are happy to take midrange shots if they are the shots given by the defense. The pull-up midrange in transition is a staple. The P&R pull up & the pick & pop are staples. The system has adjusted somewhat for the Rox, but P&R remains the bread and butter of D'Antoni's offense. He wants Harden & Paul to pull up for midrange 2s when the defense surrenders them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball