U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,511 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Reputation: 11420

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
After his technical foul with Mitchell, Capela has shut down all paint activity down the stretch... Brought Hakeem to his feet...
In case you missed the end of the Rockets/Jazz on Sunday, I found this. Scroll to 1:50 in the clip to check out Capela shut down all air traffic in the paint with 5 blocks in the last 2:40 of the game.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaALYbKsXuw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
1,247 posts, read 641,208 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hou swept Cavs in regular season... FYI

Cavs defense is not good.
They swept the team that had IT, Jae Crowder and DWade not the current team FYI.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-08-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,511 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If the Cavs sweep, is this more about LBJs greatness, or the Raptors being total pretenders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, let's not go all Golden State and start counting those chickens.

Definitely so far, you look at what Lebron has done this year and he's clearly playing at the highest level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I said "IF"....

I don't think anyone can hate on LBJ for what he is doing right now.
I think I can remove the IF now.

LBJ will be great either way... the sweep made the Raps look like total frauds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 10:51 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I've been impressed with the defensive effort, as well. The Cavs have had the #10 defense overall of all 16 playoff teams, but the hustle has been greater, and particularly there has been increased contests at the rim, and challenges on guys driving. Very impressed...

It isnt going to be as good as we'd like because most of our personnel is average to subpar defenders, but if the team defense continues to gel, and there are more consistent strong performances from the "other" Cavs, I like this team's chances, I really do. That's a lot of "ifs" but even the most ardent Cavs fans didn't predict a sweep of Toronto...
It really starts and ends at the other end. If the Cavs canít get the looks or get the looks and they arenít falling like Games 1,2 and 3 in the Finals. Itís not going to matter.

The personnel grouping as you described above itís not a defensive juggernaut. Itís the best player in the world surrounded by shooters. On the other end itís a couple very solid rebounders and guys that possess enough b-ball IQ not to be out of position. Although The harmony is in question

Iím hoping for Lebron to be Lebron and the others to Know their defensive assignments, rebound the b-ball and hit the open looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
 
2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Cavs are not producing defensive results at this point in the playoffs. The sample size remains small, but the Cavs have the 4th worst defense in the playoffs in terms of opponent shooting. They played an Indiana team with high effort but few scoring threats and a Toronto team that turned into a pumpkin again in the playoffs. The only teams worse defensively are a Portland team that got swept in round 1, a Toronto team the Cavs just swept, and a Washington team that lost to the Toronto team the Cavs just swept.

They may still get better. They will have to if they are to win in the Finals.



The numbers only say so much. LeBron is playing the best basketball of his career. He doesn't have the same athletic advantage he had 5 years ago, but his IQ and decision-making have evolved far beyond where he was then.

As for Jordan, he is unquestionably one of the best ever. LeBron, Magic, Kareem, and Russell lay the same claim. There is a fair argument for any one of the 5--each spent their generation at or among the very best in the league.



DRtg is not a good measure of defense. Take opponent's shooting and season with the eye test. The Cavs need to get better defensively to contend in the Finals. They might, but they might not.
Well letís give the Cavs some credit for this ďpumpkinĒ performance.

No one is over touting the D. No matter the 11 game sample size - they are more dialed in and the typical lax regular season effort has gone away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:01 AM
 
17,319 posts, read 10,231,722 times
Reputation: 28854
Rockets ain't getting past the Dubs.

Having Paul was a fantastic move for Houston. He's really upped his scoring.

However, Paul and Harden have a combined history of underachieving in the playoffs. There's no way they are going to defeat Golden State in these playoffs. Just too many weapons and options for Golden State

Cavs should have no issues making it to the nba finals, whoever they face in the east finals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,511 posts, read 15,470,727 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Rockets ain't getting past the Dubs.

Having Paul was a fantastic move for Houston. He's really upped his scoring.

However, Paul and Harden have a combined history of underachieving in the playoffs. There's no way they are going to defeat Golden State in these playoffs. Just too many weapons and options for Golden State

Cavs should have no issues making it to the nba finals, whoever they face in the east finals.
What Paul has done has brought the mid range threat to the Rockets scheme. Rudy Gobert can't win - either he sits back and defend Capela lobs, or he gives up the mid range. That makes the offense more potent than in the past.

However - I said at the beginning of the season that the defensive upgrades that the Rockets made are more important - Tucker, Luc BAM, and Paul as well. If they can stay focused on defense, they will have a good chance to pull off the series. Durant is the killer app because he is so tall and he can score anywhere. He will need to be big.

I give GSW a slight edge, but it's not impossible for Hou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
4,214 posts, read 2,838,368 times
Reputation: 4507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Cavs are not producing defensive results at this point in the playoffs. The sample size remains small, but the Cavs have the 4th worst defense in the playoffs in terms of opponent shooting. They played an Indiana team with high effort but few scoring threats and a Toronto team that turned into a pumpkin again in the playoffs. The only teams worse defensively are a Portland team that got swept in round 1, a Toronto team the Cavs just swept, and a Washington team that lost to the Toronto team the Cavs just swept.

They may still get better. They will have to if they are to win in the Finals.



The numbers only say so much. LeBron is playing the best basketball of his career. He doesn't have the same athletic advantage he had 5 years ago, but his IQ and decision-making have evolved far beyond where he was then.

As for Jordan, he is unquestionably one of the best ever. LeBron, Magic, Kareem, and Russell lay the same claim. There is a fair argument for any one of the 5--each spent their generation at or among the very best in the league.



DRtg is not a good measure of defense. Take opponent's shooting and season with the eye test. The Cavs need to get better defensively to contend in the Finals. They might, but they might not.
I question how much Lebron you've watched if you think this is the best Lebron you've seen. Regular season and playoffs combined, the 2012-14 three year run, particularly '13 and '14 seasons, was the peak Lebron. That's offensively and defensively. Screw the numbers--that Lebron had no peers...

Since his return to Cleveland, his regular season performances have been pedestrian by his standards, but his playoff production has been higher each of his four years back. This postseason so far, this is an argument for best Playoff Lebron; I do think this is maybe a Top 3 Playoff LeBron. If you combine this unfinished product with his regular season, overall it would be maybe 5th best version if Lebron at best...but his performance so far through two rounds is legitimately challenging for best Lebron ever...

Also, I've never said Jordan wasn't one of the GOATs. I just think the ship has long sailed where people straight face claim Jordan was better than Lebron. That ship has sailed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 03:42 PM
 
3,565 posts, read 1,877,900 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I question how much Lebron you've watched if you think this is the best Lebron you've seen. Regular season and playoffs combined, the 2012-14 three year run, particularly '13 and '14 seasons, was the peak Lebron. That's offensively and defensively. Screw the numbers--that Lebron had no peers...

Since his return to Cleveland, his regular season performances have been pedestrian by his standards, but his playoff production has been higher each of his four years back. This postseason so far, this is an argument for best Playoff Lebron; I do think this is maybe a Top 3 Playoff LeBron. If you combine this unfinished product with his regular season, overall it would be maybe 5th best version if Lebron at best...but his performance so far through two rounds is legitimately challenging for best Lebron ever...

Also, I've never said Jordan wasn't one of the GOATs. I just think the ship has long sailed where people straight face claim Jordan was better than Lebron. That ship has sailed...
I've seen LeBron's whole career. Yes, he takes it easy in the regular season in his mature years. But he is a better weapon now than he was with the Heatles, with fewer weaknesses and more strengths. What he has lost defensively, he has more than compensated with multi-talented offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,962 posts, read 2,514,546 times
Reputation: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In case you missed the end of the Rockets/Jazz on Sunday, I found this. Scroll to 1:50 in the clip to check out Capela shut down all air traffic in the paint with 5 blocks in the last 2:40 of the game.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaALYbKsXuw
Yeah, I saw this.

I know this is a different Rockets team, but Capela seems to have accepted his role with the Rockets, and it made me wonder why Dwight Howard couldnt do this. However, I know he didnt want this role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top