U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 08:28 PM

498 posts, read 142,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Yep, LeBron trying to avoid a 6th lost Finals is some hype
Houston-Cavs would be twice as interesting, just because Houston are unproven on the very biggest stage.
I think it's gonna be Warriors and Cavs in the Finals again. Was hoping Golden State would face either Toronto or Boston this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 04:02 AM

5,434 posts, read 1,547,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Warriors in 6. Cavs in 5.

Part 4 coming.

Lebron is playing like we won’t allow Number 3 in 4 years for the Dubs
The Dubs can beat peak LeBron in their sleep.
And what can LeBron do to impact Durant?
Durant destroyed LeBron in all the 4th quarters last year, and they were guarding each other.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:07 AM

The NBA admitted that Embiid was fouled with 14 seconds remaining.
The NBA admitted that Celtics traveled with 1.5 seconds remaining.
This series probably should have gone to game 6 @ Philly.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Now fire Derozan/Lowry. Or bring in a real superstar so they can be 2nd/3rd options.
I think firing Casey was a horrible, knee-jerk move. If the problem is that he couldn't get past Lebron, why hire Budenholzer who also got swept as a #1 seed? And which of the other coaches available really inspire confidence that they can take out Lebron? Horrible call by Ujiri...

The biggest issue is what you alluded to, they have no superstars. All year guys on here touted DeRozan as a superstar while I was telling people to pump the brakes. He definitely improved his game but this series illustrated exactly why he's not the guy; he and Lowry are EXACTLY what we thought they were. Good, B-level NBA players. You can't win a championship if they are your 1 and 2...

If I was Toronto I would have retained Casey and went hard at trying to recruit Boogie, Kawhi, Paul George. Maybe would have whiffed on all but you never know if you don't try. I would have went hard for all three and been willing to move either DeRozan or Lowry and other parts to grab one (I wouldn't habe given up both because one of them could be a viable 2 if you have a true #1). Maybe they could have pulled it off, but during Casey was the wrong move. I've been critical of him in the past and there were seasons he deserved the axe but they kept him...

Maybe they should still go try to find a superstar. George isn't a real superstar but he adds an element to Toronto they don't otherwise have. Boogie carried poor teams in Sac for years and has shown maturity in his game, and he's far more imposing and consistent than Ibaka or Valanciunas. Kawhi is a true franchise-altering superstar, he probably has no interest in going to Toronto, but you have to test the waters and see what the Spurs are willing to take. Kawhi in Toronto would immediately shift the pendulum to The East and put them right there with the Cavs, Celtics, Sixers as a round robin for the conference next year....

Bad move by the Craptors, back to irrelevance they go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Warriors in 6. Cavs in 5.

Part 4 coming.

Lebron is playing like we wonít allow Number 3 in 4 years for the Dubs
Your last sentence here, I said to myself a week or two ago. Lebron knows what's at stake here. He wants that challenge, and the hallmark of a truly great player is accepting the challenge. It would be another monumental task but if he pulls this one off, nothing bad can ever be said about him again...

I'll add that I'm an unabashed Lebron fan, unapologetically. So I'm an ancillary Cavs fan because of that. I know people rag on Lebron fans because of that, but I'm also a true fan of the sport and I post on here year round. So I'm consistent lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
How am I talking trash when I said that the Warriors were getting plenty of love prior to 2015? Now, if I said "The Warriors suck" or "The Warriors were overrated" then you would have a point. I'm just stating my opinion. The Run TMC era, the 2007 "We Believe" team those teams got plenty of love. You make as if the Warriors were the joke of the NBA for those 40 years when they weren't, they were still one of the NBA's beloved franchises despite the futility. The Cavs were NBA's whipping boy for a long time prior to LeBron. Hell, the national media wanted LeBron to leave Cleveland the first time and some want that now. Y'all don't know how good y'all have had it in the Bay as far as sports the last 30+ years.
Please don't spam the basketball forum with the sane Cleveland whining you do on other forums...

Quote:
The Dubs can beat peak LeBron in their sleep.
And what can LeBron do to impact Durant?
Durant destroyed LeBron in all the 4th quarters last year, and they were guarding each other.
Durant absolutely destroyed Lebron last year. While the outcome (Warriors winning) May very well be the same, I have a feeling the KD-Lebron battle won't be as lopsided...

LeBron wants KD again, he wants the Dubs again. I think he knows they are a better team and I think he's aware he might lose again, but if he didn't want the challenge, he'd be lackadaisical Regular Season LeBron that shows up at times in the regular season. He wants the fight, and I think he also knows that if any one player can will his team to beating the Warriors juggernaut, it's him. There's not a single player in the NBA right now, and possibly ever, who you'd say, "that one guy will give his team a shot versus the Warriors"...

People quickly forget that the 73-9 Dubs were also predicted to win in 4 or 5...

LeBron is the ultimate equalizer. They may still lose but he gives the Cavs a chance. He wants that chance and I want it for him...

Old 05-12-2018, 06:45 AM

LeBron being the ultimate equalizer, I guess LeBron is equal to a win, so I'd say Golden State in 5.
Houston making the Finals would be far more interesting.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:08 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,833,476 times
Quote:
LeBron being the ultimate equalizer, I guess LeBron is equal to a win, so I'd say Golden State in 5.
Houston making the Finals would be far more interesting.
LeBron is the ultimate equalizer because he instantly makes anybody's team a legitimate contender. Your team could have won 25 games last year. If Lebron joins your team, who cares how many regular season games you win, you know your team will be in the conference finals next year at minimum, your team will be a real threat...

Where is the other player in the history of the NBA who, a single individual, turns a lottery team into a championship contender in one season? Who is this guy?

This is part of Lebron's legacy and history will be much more appreciative of his impact on the sport, than the naysayers while he was/is playing...

Be honest, how many games did you pick Golden State in 2016? You damn sure didn't pick Cleveland in 7....the Warriors will rightfully be favored, but I'm riding with The King. It takes four games to win a series. I don't expect him to win, but I will say my confidence in the Cavs is higher now than it was a month ago, and if any team can do the unthinkable, it's a team led by #23. He's done the unthinkable before, two years ago. I'm not getting he couldn't do it again, so 3-0, 3-1, doesn't matter to me. We're in it to win it and hopefully we have a chance to play for the trophy again...

Old 05-12-2018, 08:20 AM

1,242 posts, read 639,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I think firing Casey was a horrible, knee-jerk move. If the problem is that he couldn't get past Lebron, why hire Budenholzer who also got swept as a #1 seed? And which of the other coaches available really inspire confidence that they can take out Lebron? Horrible call by Ujiri...

The biggest issue is what you alluded to, they have no superstars. All year guys on here touted DeRozan as a superstar while I was telling people to pump the brakes. He definitely improved his game but this series illustrated exactly why he's not the guy; he and Lowry are EXACTLY what we thought they were. Good, B-level NBA players. You can't win a championship if they are your 1 and 2...

If I was Toronto I would have retained Casey and went hard at trying to recruit Boogie, Kawhi, Paul George. Maybe would have whiffed on all but you never know if you don't try. I would have went hard for all three and been willing to move either DeRozan or Lowry and other parts to grab one (I wouldn't habe given up both because one of them could be a viable 2 if you have a true #1). Maybe they could have pulled it off, but during Casey was the wrong move. I've been critical of him in the past and there were seasons he deserved the axe but they kept him...

Maybe they should still go try to find a superstar. George isn't a real superstar but he adds an element to Toronto they don't otherwise have. Boogie carried poor teams in Sac for years and has shown maturity in his game, and he's far more imposing and consistent than Ibaka or Valanciunas. Kawhi is a true franchise-altering superstar, he probably has no interest in going to Toronto, but you have to test the waters and see what the Spurs are willing to take. Kawhi in Toronto would immediately shift the pendulum to The East and put them right there with the Cavs, Celtics, Sixers as a round robin for the conference next year....

Your last sentence here, I said to myself a week or two ago. Lebron knows what's at stake here. He wants that challenge, and the hallmark of a truly great player is accepting the challenge. It would be another monumental task but if he pulls this one off, nothing bad can ever be said about him again...

I'll add that I'm an unabashed Lebron fan, unapologetically. So I'm an ancillary Cavs fan because of that. I know people rag on Lebron fans because of that, but I'm also a true fan of the sport and I post on here year round. So I'm consistent lol...

Please don't spam the basketball forum with the sane Cleveland whining you do on other forums...

Durant absolutely destroyed Lebron last year. While the outcome (Warriors winning) May very well be the same, I have a feeling the KD-Lebron battle won't be as lopsided...

LeBron wants KD again, he wants the Dubs again. I think he knows they are a better team and I think he's aware he might lose again, but if he didn't want the challenge, he'd be lackadaisical Regular Season LeBron that shows up at times in the regular season. He wants the fight, and I think he also knows that if any one player can will his team to beating the Warriors juggernaut, it's him. There's not a single player in the NBA right now, and possibly ever, who you'd say, "that one guy will give his team a shot versus the Warriors"...

People quickly forget that the 73-9 Dubs were also predicted to win in 4 or 5...

LeBron is the ultimate equalizer. They may still lose but he gives the Cavs a chance. He wants that chance and I want it for him...
Dude, I was explaining to that poster that I wasn't talking crap about the Warriors at all. I just had a disagreement with them, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 AM

1,242 posts, read 639,489 times
Quote:
LeBron is the ultimate equalizer because he instantly makes anybody's team a legitimate contender. Your team could have won 25 games last year. If Lebron joins your team, who cares how many regular season games you win, you know your team will be in the conference finals next year at minimum, your team will be a real threat...

Where is the other player in the history of the NBA who, a single individual, turns a lottery team into a championship contender in one season? Who is this guy?

This is part of Lebron's legacy and history will be much more appreciative of his impact on the sport, than the naysayers while he was/is playing...

Be honest, how many games did you pick Golden State in 2016? You damn sure didn't pick Cleveland in 7....the Warriors will rightfully be favored, but I'm riding with The King. It takes four games to win a series. I don't expect him to win, but I will say my confidence in the Cavs is higher now than it was a month ago, and if any team can do the unthinkable, it's a team led by #23. He's done the unthinkable before, two years ago. I'm not getting he couldn't do it again, so 3-0, 3-1, doesn't matter to me. We're in it to win it and hopefully we have a chance to play for the trophy again...
That's the great thing about sports, anything can happen. The impossible can become the possible. Just like you said nobody thought the Cavs would come back from a 3-1 deficit to beat a 73-9 Warriors team but it happened. In 2004, nobody gave the no-star Pistons a chance to beat the Kobe-Shaq Lakers but that happened. Nobody thought that the Mavericks would beat the Heat Big 3 in 2011 but it happened. Even in this year's Super Bowl, nobody gave the Eagles a chance against the dynasty of the Patriots because they were starting a backup QB but they beat them. Yes, I know Houston or Golden State will be heavily favored against the Cavs but you never know what may happen once the ball tips off.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:07 AM

11,679 posts, read 7,052,167 times
Quote:

They probably arenít getting an available superstar to go to Toronto and they have a lot of money tied up in Derozan/Lowry/Ibaka. Pretty much the only option without blowing things up is finding a new coach...a coach that didnít get swept two years straight while coaching the team they have.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:15 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Quote:
The NBA admitted that Embiid was fouled with 14 seconds remaining.
The NBA admitted that Celtics traveled with 1.5 seconds remaining.
This series probably should have gone to game 6 @ Philly.
Traveling is a very loosely defined rule in today's NBA. Maybe if Philly didn't blow a 20 plus point lead in game 2 they would have extended the series?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball