U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times

Advertisements

One thing became clear last night: Durant is the 2nd best player on the Warriors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 AM

4,492 posts, read 3,158,600 times
Here's my take on this series. When Capela took a breather, the Warriors feasted on Nene. Capela will have to rest less. Trevor Ariza was in foul trouble all night. Eric Gordon has to play better, which history has shown he struggles in the playoffs. Harden and Paul were fine. As someone else said, Paul got his points too late, but they combined for over 60 points. That's what you want from your two future hall of famers. The rest of the team just has to fill in the leaks here and there.

As for the Warriors, Curry was a non factor. Draymond was a non factor. Durant and Thompson lit up the Rockets. Durant had some shots where I literally said out loud, he's on VIDEO GAME MODE! Just like the Raptors against Lebron, you can't stop someone when they're clicking like that. Thompson was RED HOT from 3 as well. His stroke is so pure that you can't leave him open.

What I did like in this series, and improves the chances of the Rockets still being in this series, even after one game, is that Harden and Paul played well offensively and they best they could defensively. Ariza and Gordon have to find another gear in this round. They need to be able to pour on the points, because Harden and Paul will have an off night in this series.

I think Draymond will emotionally take himself out of this series. He was way too hot tempered in the 1Q. I'm not a fan of his by any means, but his emotional spark does motivate this team. Swaggy P looked good early hitting 2 3 pointers. That's the kind of help that the Rockets will need. They absolutely need everyone to contribute, because the Warriors, just like Boston, can and will play next man up each and every game.

But Durant has that Lebron gear when he wants to step on the court and completely demoralize the opposition.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:34 AM

3,792 posts, read 1,383,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
One thing became clear last night: Durant is the 2nd best player on the Warriors.
2nd best? It's become his team ever since he joined

Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM

5,434 posts, read 1,548,736 times
Mike Greenberg keeps saying Harden was faultless in Game 1
Jalen Rose also not mentioning Harden's defense.
Gone are the days when superstars were expected to play defense in the playoffs apparently.
What a disgraceful era.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Durant will win Finals MVP every year, so that'd make him the best player.
He's the most unstoppable scorer in the NBA.
Its just a matter of how many shots he chooses to take.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 AM

17,308 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
I'm afraid this series will not last very long should the Warriors win the first two games in Houston. If that happens, Houston is getting swept.
One thing that is maddeningly frustrating about Golden State is their tendency sometimes to get lax and give up.

Let's not forget what happened to Utah when they whupped up on Houston that one game. The Rockets came roaring back next game and never looked back.

Golden State can easily get lax in game two, fall behind by 20 points in first quarter and then give up thinking they can turn it back on at home.

In my eyes game two is more important to Golden State than Houston. This series is far from over for now.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:35 AM

Hard to imagine Houston winning in Golden State (except for in the regular season which GS has lost motivation for), so I think GS only needed a 1-1 split in Houston.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 AM

17,308 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Curry said he tweaked something last night.

There was a point in third period I think he didnt look quite right and looked to be dragging.

As long as Durant can pick up the slack all will be well.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,876,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
Houston lost. Golden State is now at full strength, and everyone probably knows how hard it is to defeat a Warriors team at full strength. Should the Warriors win Game 2, the Rockets are getting swept. Simple as that.
The Warriors are not at full strength. Curry has now played 4 games since March and doesn't have his normal lateral quickness. But they are close enough to full strength to beat anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Game 2 is basically a MUST win for the Rockets. Their betting odds are probably already cratering being in a 0-1 hole. If they go down 0-2 we can probably make other plans instead of watching game 3.

If Houston doesn’t at least make it a 6 or 7 game series we can label them the Raptors of the west. This is like now or never for Chris Paul and possibly Harden too. Who knows how many more cracks they get at it with a #1 seed team.
It's hard to imagine Houston winning 2 out of 3 in Oakland. Game 2 is huge for them. At least this is Houston's first dance with a conference juggernaut in the playoffs (at least, the first dance for the Harden-Paul combo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I only saw the last quarter and a half.

My suggestions for the Rockets to be competitive...

Hopefully they tried some other defensive scheme during the year that they can use. Keeping a single man on Durant will not work. It will be a sweep or 5 games. They need to change up their look defensively - just to keep them off balance. Somehow Thompson got a bunch of open looks. Need to clean that up.

Only 18 team assists... too low. Gotta move the ball.

Bad habits that are allowed to persist will bite you in the butt in the playoffs. Waiting too late in the shot clock to make a move is a bad habit. Harden passing up open shots is a bad habit. They had screw ups in their defensive rotations during the year - that cropped up tonight.

To me - how they choose to defend Durant is the key to the series.
The Warriors were ready for the drive and kick and for the Capela lob--they took away passing lanes that most teams can't defend. If the Warriors can do that 3 more times, they will win this series.

I honestly like singling Durant. Sending the double just opens up too much space on the floor for the Warriors' other scorers and Durant is very capable of finding the pass out of a double. He made some tough shots, especially in the 3rd. I think those mid-post ISOs were defended pretty well and a legendary scorer just did what legendary scorers do.

The bigger problem is that the Warriors exposed Harden and Paul defensively. A still-hobbled Curry got around Harden with ease, delivering several layups when Harden switched onto him. With the exception of a couple of good though unsuccessful attempts to defend KD, CP3 was a non-factor on defense. I don't know how you expect to beat the Warriors 4 times with heavy minutes to two guys who are defensive liabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I am disappointed in the Rockets as I thought they would win Game 1 before GS put the clamps on them. Maybe the Rockets now see that the regular season vs GS is a lot different than the playoffs, and will adjust to the Warriors accordingly.
The Warriors flipped the switch on defense from game one of the first round. Houston's elite offense was just forced into a bunch of tough shots--Harden made a bunch of them, but I don't think you can count on better shooting if you can't pry open the defense more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Here's my take on this series. When Capela took a breather, the Warriors feasted on Nene. Capela will have to rest less. Trevor Ariza was in foul trouble all night. Eric Gordon has to play better, which history has shown he struggles in the playoffs. Harden and Paul were fine. As someone else said, Paul got his points too late, but they combined for over 60 points. That's what you want from your two future hall of famers. The rest of the team just has to fill in the leaks here and there.
Nene was inexplicable--he was abused by the Warriors' offense. When Capela sits, the Rockets need to go small. Paul scored a lot of garbage time points and really did not play very well--I expect him to have better games this series. Paul and Harden were both exposed on the defensive end. That is a tougher nut to crack for D'Antoni.

Quote:
As for the Warriors, Curry was a non factor. Draymond was a non factor. Durant and Thompson lit up the Rockets. Durant had some shots where I literally said out loud, he's on VIDEO GAME MODE! Just like the Raptors against Lebron, you can't stop someone when they're clicking like that. Thompson was RED HOT from 3 as well. His stroke is so pure that you can't leave him open.
Curry and Draymond both played brilliant basketball. They made great decisions, stepped up on defense, and did all of the little things--boxing out, setting screens, pushing in transition, getting back on defense--that get you wins. 18/6/8 on 53% shooting in his fourth game back from injury in a game where the Warriors planned to feast on KD's single coverage is great. And Curry's layup drill when the Rockets were cutting into the lead was the kind of steadying leadership that a Legend delivers.

Draymond was a nightmare for the Rockets' offense. He repeatedly took away the Capela lob, the passing lane to corner 3s, and the driving lane for a 1v1 finish--in some plays, he did more than one of those things. He put a body on Capela over and over, limiting offensive rebounds. If Draymond outplays Capela at the 5 in four games, the Warriors will win this series.

Quote:
What I did like in this series, and improves the chances of the Rockets still being in this series, even after one game, is that Harden and Paul played well offensively and they best they could defensively. Ariza and Gordon have to find another gear in this round. They need to be able to pour on the points, because Harden and Paul will have an off night in this series.
Ariza looks absolutely critical to Houston in this series because of what he can deliver defesively. His length on Curry probably drove the Warriors to spam KD ISOs in the mid-post. Gordon is going to struggle to get good shots against the Warriors' length and switching. LRMAM looks unreliable as an offensive option, and it's tough to play the Warriors with one-way players. Tucker was good defensively. Capela needs to be a lot better for the Rockets to win.

Quote:
I think Draymond will emotionally take himself out of this series. He was way too hot tempered in the 1Q. I'm not a fan of his by any means, but his emotional spark does motivate this team. Swaggy P looked good early hitting 2 3 pointers. That's the kind of help that the Rockets will need. They absolutely need everyone to contribute, because the Warriors, just like Boston, can and will play next man up each and every game.
Draymond has been as judicious in these playoffs as you can hope for. He is obviously going to mix it up, but Rondo and Mirotic repeatedly tried to get him T'd up or ejected in Round 2 and he showed restraint.

Quote:
But Durant has that Lebron gear when he wants to step on the court and completely demoralize the opposition.
He can't be stopped, and I think the Rockets are right to hope that he is missing more of those shots. He just wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
2nd best? It's become his team ever since he joined
LOL--wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Mike Greenberg keeps saying Harden was faultless in Game 1
Jalen Rose also not mentioning Harden's defense.
Gone are the days when superstars were expected to play defense in the playoffs apparently.
What a disgraceful era.
I agree--Harden was used by every Warrior he tried to defend. Paul was not good defensively. The Rockets have to figure out what to do with these two on the defensive end, and there are not two places to hide players against the Warriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One thing that is maddeningly frustrating about Golden State is their tendency sometimes to get lax and give up.

Let's not forget what happened to Utah when they whupped up on Houston that one game. The Rockets came roaring back next game and never looked back.

Golden State can easily get lax in game two, fall behind by 20 points in first quarter and then give up thinking they can turn it back on at home.

In my eyes game two is more important to Golden State than Houston. This series is far from over for now.
Game 2 is far more important to Houston. It is as close to must-win as a Game 2 can be. As it stands, the Warriors just need to defend home court. Houston needs to take at least one game in Oakland. And if it's just one win in Oakland, they have to defend home court, too. The series is far from over, but can you imagine Houston winning 2 out of 3 in Oakland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Hard to imagine Houston winning in Golden State (except for in the regular season which GS has lost motivation for), so I think GS only needed a 1-1 split in Houston.
100% correct.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

28,503 posts, read 15,462,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

No way.

It is way more important for Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball