U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Don't forget that philly had games 2 and 5 won in Boston so I'm thinking Cleveland who is a better team can do the same.
What good is it if a team "had games 2 and 5 won in Boston" if they in fact lost both of those games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM

3,800 posts, read 1,387,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Warriors are not at full strength. Curry has now played 4 games since March and doesn't have his normal lateral quickness. But they are close enough to full strength to beat anybody.

It's hard to imagine Houston winning 2 out of 3 in Oakland. Game 2 is huge for them. At least this is Houston's first dance with a conference juggernaut in the playoffs (at least, the first dance for the Harden-Paul combo).

The Warriors were ready for the drive and kick and for the Capela lob--they took away passing lanes that most teams can't defend. If the Warriors can do that 3 more times, they will win this series.

I honestly like singling Durant. Sending the double just opens up too much space on the floor for the Warriors' other scorers and Durant is very capable of finding the pass out of a double. He made some tough shots, especially in the 3rd. I think those mid-post ISOs were defended pretty well and a legendary scorer just did what legendary scorers do.

The bigger problem is that the Warriors exposed Harden and Paul defensively. A still-hobbled Curry got around Harden with ease, delivering several layups when Harden switched onto him. With the exception of a couple of good though unsuccessful attempts to defend KD, CP3 was a non-factor on defense. I don't know how you expect to beat the Warriors 4 times with heavy minutes to two guys who are defensive liabilities.

The Warriors flipped the switch on defense from game one of the first round. Houston's elite offense was just forced into a bunch of tough shots--Harden made a bunch of them, but I don't think you can count on better shooting if you can't pry open the defense more.

Nene was inexplicable--he was abused by the Warriors' offense. When Capela sits, the Rockets need to go small. Paul scored a lot of garbage time points and really did not play very well--I expect him to have better games this series. Paul and Harden were both exposed on the defensive end. That is a tougher nut to crack for D'Antoni.

Curry and Draymond both played brilliant basketball. They made great decisions, stepped up on defense, and did all of the little things--boxing out, setting screens, pushing in transition, getting back on defense--that get you wins. 18/6/8 on 53% shooting in his fourth game back from injury in a game where the Warriors planned to feast on KD's single coverage is great. And Curry's layup drill when the Rockets were cutting into the lead was the kind of steadying leadership that a Legend delivers.

Draymond was a nightmare for the Rockets' offense. He repeatedly took away the Capela lob, the passing lane to corner 3s, and the driving lane for a 1v1 finish--in some plays, he did more than one of those things. He put a body on Capela over and over, limiting offensive rebounds. If Draymond outplays Capela at the 5 in four games, the Warriors will win this series.

Ariza looks absolutely critical to Houston in this series because of what he can deliver defesively. His length on Curry probably drove the Warriors to spam KD ISOs in the mid-post. Gordon is going to struggle to get good shots against the Warriors' length and switching. LRMAM looks unreliable as an offensive option, and it's tough to play the Warriors with one-way players. Tucker was good defensively. Capela needs to be a lot better for the Rockets to win.

Draymond has been as judicious in these playoffs as you can hope for. He is obviously going to mix it up, but Rondo and Mirotic repeatedly tried to get him T'd up or ejected in Round 2 and he showed restraint.

He can't be stopped, and I think the Rockets are right to hope that he is missing more of those shots. He just wasn't.

LOL--wishful thinking.

I agree--Harden was used by every Warrior he tried to defend. Paul was not good defensively. The Rockets have to figure out what to do with these two on the defensive end, and there are not two places to hide players against the Warriors.

Game 2 is far more important to Houston. It is as close to must-win as a Game 2 can be. As it stands, the Warriors just need to defend home court. Houston needs to take at least one game in Oakland. And if it's just one win in Oakland, they have to defend home court, too. The series is far from over, but can you imagine Houston winning 2 out of 3 in Oakland?

100% correct.

Who is the best player?

Old 05-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
What good is it if a team "had games 2 and 5 won in Boston" if they in fact lost both of those games?
Because if a team like philly who is not as good as the Cavs can play well enough to almost win, then i wanna believe that the Cavs being the better team can defintely steal one in boston.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,236,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No way.

It is way more important for Houston.
I know that's the answer of many, but in my eyes it is more important for Golden State.

Because as we have seen in game one, the only team that can realistically beat Golden State, is Golden State. Houston winning game 2 means Golden State didn't execute fully (or didn't want to execute fully).

They are their own worst enemy, and as mentioned before, at times have this maddening tendency to become lackadaisical, lazy, and careless, and allow the opposing team to run up a dozen points or more in a hurry.

I like what Draymond did in game one, he shoved Harden very early in the game for a "T" but there was a method to the madness, and I thought it interesting none of Harden's teammates came to defend or support him. Golden State must keep that intensity level up lest they allow Houston any opportunities to make a run and come back. The more games GS allows, there is always that chance of risking injury to a player (Curry wasn't his usual self latter part of the game and he tweaked something). They have to close this Houston team out as soon as possible.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:22 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,431,779 times
Wow, after all that tanking Grizzlies still only get fourth pick in this year’s draft. Suns, Hawks, Kings get top three.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM

Lebron with 19 pts already and Cavs with the early lead.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:06 PM

17,319 posts, read 10,236,660 times
James is on FIRE.

And as he goes, so does his team. The Cavs are clearly a different team than from game 1!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:15 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,431,779 times
A lot of phantom foul calls going the Cavs’ way, hmmm....

Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 PM

Looks like the game is over, wow I am shocked. The Cavs start the 4th qtr down 7 and Lebron was on the bench? lol Now they are down 11

Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM

28,526 posts, read 15,474,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
James is on FIRE.

And as he goes, so does his team. The Cavs are clearly a different team than from game 1!
The game 1 Cavs have returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball